Got a route but

Z

ZQXC

We have 2 routes up right now that are cut 3 or 4 days per week. I'm not even going to bother bidding on them. I won't bid on a route unless its an in every day route.

Bid an A route; all the work in the loop collapses back to it.

oldngray

nowhere special
Bid an A route; all the work in the loop collapses back to it.

In theory. I had an A route but that didn't matter to the idiot in the office and her pocket dispatches. The loop was mostly business on all routes and the only one that could be cut out was the B route but if they did that then businesses couldn't be delivered and pickups couldn't be covered. They would still try it when they were ordered to cut routes from above but the result was always the same disaster.

UPSGUY72

If your route is on you run your route. They might pull some crap and have you cover another route because you know it and another cover driver doesn't. Don't let them pull that crap they try it in my building and drivers don't let them. Of course if the route they want you to cover is better then yours then I'd cover it.

Grey

Can't imagine having your own route. Everyday coming to work stressing about where you'll be and what your load looks like. If I had my own route I would never complain about anything.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
image.jpg

Article 64, Southern Supplement, you're welcome. Option days or not, doesn't matter.

DamageCallTag

Here you have to put in for an option day 7 days in advance, you can't just show up for work and elect to use one.

Why do you have to schedule option days in advance? Option days are just that, you have the option to take a day whenever you see fit! Here we just call the morning of and say using option day and not coming in! They can't do anything about it. The only thing we have to do in advance is our 8 hr request.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Scheduling an option day in advance is a courtesy which gives your mgt team the time to adust the staffing.

Calling in the day of should be reserved for when you are really sick.

O

OLDMAN3

Why do you have to schedule option days in advance? Option days are just that, you have the option to take a day whenever you see fit! Here we just call the morning of and say using option day and not coming in! They can't do anything about it. The only thing we have to do in advance is our 8 hr request.
Each supplement is different. Option days in one supplement mean optional holidays which are scheduled in advance and trump individual vacation days and unpaid days off. Other areas mean days that you essentially can in when referring to option days.

WorknLateHuh

unpaid days off are weird here. It is NOT by seniority, although mgmnt tend to lean towards giving senior drivers the day first when they ask the morning of.

We have a dispatch board that shows who is doing what for that day prob like every center. There is a slot for "available/free" drivers, which is normally where extra cover drivers get put for the day off or to work if something comes up(no show). Of course they have the option to bump depending on seniority if they want to work.

This is where it gets weird... pcm is generally at 8:20 here, the drivers that are free usually sneak around and stand in the back of the pcm hoping that no one notices they don't have a diad. Because here, everyone wants the day off, and the more routes you know, then the more bid drivers you have coming up to you wanting you to cover their route so they can take the day.

If you call at 720-730 in the morning to see if you can take an unpaid day, usually you can get it if they have free drivers. This has to be done with some discretion and not too often.

Sorry this it totally off topic, it's just weird seeing how much different it is from center to center.

By The Book

I've seen it go both ways and that's the problem. Driver submits an option day request and gets denied because it was only 5 days in advance, then on the day he wanted off they have xtra anyway and they let a senior have the day and burn an optional. Stuff like that just breeds resentment.
If your supplement states that discretionary days are to be awarded by seniority, and doesn't state a number of days notice it goes by seniority if two guys are standing there looking for the day. If your supplement requires so many days advance notice and a junior driver went by the book and the senior driver was extra, I see how the junior guy got hosed. In your case the junior guy didn't give the required notice to get the day so it reverts back to seniority.

By The Book

If your route is on you run your route. They might pull some crap and have you cover another route because you know it and another cover driver doesn't. Don't let them pull that crap they try it in my building and drivers don't let them. Of course if the route they want you to cover is better then yours then I'd cover it.
So your saying to stay on your route if its in but to take a better one if you want? Make up you mind man, you just said drivers don't let them do this where you are! Stay on your bid routes and have them cross train the other ones. If they can pull you off your bid route, that's another thing.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If your supplement states that discretionary days are to be awarded by seniority, and doesn't state a number of days notice it goes by seniority if two guys are standing there looking for the day. If your supplement requires so many days advance notice and a junior driver went by the book and the senior driver was extra, I see how the junior guy got hosed. In your case the junior guy didn't give the required notice to get the day so it reverts back to seniority.
I have no problem with them denying a personal because it wasn't requested at least 7 days prior or with letting a senior driver have the unpaid day, my problem is with denying one driver a personal 5 days out for being untimely and then letting another driver burn a personal in lieu of an unpaid day, essentially him granting a personal with about 1 hours notice.