Deferred Delivery?

upsjack

If a route gets cut 2 days a week, is that driver able to get off their route and permanently bid a route that has a lower seniority driver on it?
The contract reads that a route has to change over 50% to be able to bid off of it, the route being in 3 out of 5 days would be just a 40% change.

Last edited:

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
You’ll have to wait until the building rebids routes. It’s going to be chaotic here when that time comes. A lot of drivers with decades under their belts are not happy about having to be cover drivers again. Probably a few sooner-than-expected retirements.

upsjack

You’ll have to wait until the building rebids routes. It’s going to be chaotic here when that time comes. A lot of drivers with decades under their belts are not happy about having to be cover drivers again. Probably a few sooner-than-expected retirements.
How can they rebid routes that aren’t changed 50%?

542thruNthru

If a route gets cut 2 days a week, is that driver able to get off their route and permanently bid a route that has a lower seniority driver on it?
The contract reads that a route has to change over 50% to be able to bid off of it, the route being in 3 out of 5 days would be just a 40% change.
Where are you?

542thruNthru

So you're going off the central region language if I'm not mistaken.

Screenshot_20231001_204823_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Going off of this non of it applies to you. Your route is not being permanently changed by total stops or having its start time changed. Your area or loop hasn't been changed either because the stops are not being delivered they are being held.

Your issue is more of a temporary change so I would look at that language and see if it applies.

PreTrippin’

Getting drunk and falling down
So you're going off the central region language if I'm not mistaken.

View attachment 448507
Going off of this non of it applies to you. Your route is not being permanently changed by total stops or having its start time changed. Your area or loop hasn't been changed either because the stops are not being delivered they are being held.

Your issue is more of a temporary change so I would look at that language and see if it applies.
It’s happening in a lot of places. Here you go @upsjack :
1. Follow some sort of percent of work somewhere
2. Take the day off if it makes management’s numbers better
3. Be a utility/cover driver and grab a route based on seniority like everyone else

4. Stop being a bitch.

PreTrippin’

Getting drunk and falling down
So you’re trying to duck a union brother out of his hard earned route because you’re a lazy son of a bitch?

From what I've heard, every center is handling it differently since there's nothing in the contract that explains how it should work. It just ends up being whatever the union and UPS agree to.

In our center, most of the deferred routes are only going out three days a week. What we've agreed to is complicated, but looks like this:

(1) The drivers on those routes, assuming we have more drivers than routes, are allowed to take the day off twice per week ("You have to work at least 3 days a week"), or (2) they are treated like top swing drivers (seniority based). (3) They aren't allowed to bump drivers off bid routes unless there are no open routes, and (in that situation) they can only bump the drivers with the least seniority.

Trucker Clock

None of my route is a portion of his bid route

Then he cannot bump you off your route. His bid work is going somewhere. He can only bump a junior employee if some of his bid work goes to that junior employee.

If all his work goes to senior employees, he works as directed and cannot bump anyone.

upsjack

Then he cannot bump you off your route. His bid work is going somewhere. He can only bump a junior employee if some of his bid work goes to that junior employee.

If all his work goes to senior employees, he works as directed and cannot bump anyone.
His bid work is getting deferred 2 days a week