GPS in the ground system... (on topic, obvs)

Star B

White Lightening
With live GPS harass...err... tracking.... starting to infect the Express system.... it leaves me to wonder... how much has the purple mothership been watching it's "contractor" brethren?

Oldfart

Do the right thing and you need not worry. We have had GPS on powerpad for several months and I have not had 1 discussion with a manager. Had it on my van for almost a month and once again, no discussion of any kind.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
With live GPS harass...err... tracking.... starting to infect the Express system.... it leaves me to wonder... how much has the purple mothership been watching it's "contractor" brethren?
87393701-5755-419D-85B8-AC09361A6B6C.gif

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
GPS only good if the drivers scan at "point of delivery" / or pickup as bbsam pointed out in another thread.

It's been a while, ever since we switched from Honeywell to the Motorola scanners, right?

If it's live tracking, I bet the powerpad battery won't last.

It will be fine

The only time they use their data is for misdeliveries. There's no real time tracking for anyone in Fedex to see. I use gps tracking on my fleet all the time.

SmithBarney

PPAD will record location every 30 seconds(not transmit until end of day) PPAD will transmit delivery location. Also PPADs are being replaced, with some sort of cell phone based unit...I'm sure that will go smoothly.

Nolimitz

GPS only good if the drivers scan at "point of delivery" / or pickup as bbsam pointed out in another thread.

It's been a while, ever since we switched from Honeywell to the Motorola scanners, right?

If it's live tracking, I bet the powerpad battery won't last.

A system similar to UPS is being added to all express vehicles.

Star B

White Lightening
PPAD will record location every 30 seconds(not transmit until end of day) PPAD will transmit delivery location. Also PPADs are being replaced, with some sort of cell phone based unit...I'm sure that will go smoothly.

A system similar to UPS is being added to all express vehicles.

Yeah, I know what's happening on the Express side. I was just wondering if ground has the same 1 minute breadcrumb/POD/DEX GPS tagging that we at Express have now.

McFeely

Huge Member
I was just wondering if ground has the same 1 minute breadcrumb/POD/DEX GPS tagging that we at Express have now.

I think some of them do already. The Ground guy in my area has said he's had conversations about GPS data not matching computer plots for an address. Much like our proximity report stuff at Express.

He certainly doesn't have to follow any of the vehicle or dresscode rules that we do at Express though. Mountain Dew hat, truck parked nose-in and left running with all doors open.

NYCFXG

As a contractor I used it daily. I would keep tabs on if my employees were legitimately attempting packages and pick ups. Customers like to call and complain that attempts were fraudulent. My first order of business would be to check service area status for the pings. If they were where they were supposed to be great.. if not I would call driver and kindly explain to them they better get over there asap and not let me catch them playing games again.

OrioN

If they are using the gps tracking I am thinking of, they will be able to tell when you pass gas in the truck

Nope, you're thinking about the brownies telematics system embedded in the package car... not the ones on the diads/ powerpad s

OrioN

They are currently installing a similar system in all Express vehicles this year.

tenor.gif

Y is express wasting $ to be like UPS???

First, the Mercedes sprinters instead of the cheaper counterparts, Ford transits or dodge promasters

&

now that we have GPS on our powerpads, they wanna add that crap to vehicles???

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
tenor.gif

First, the Mercedes sprinters instead of the cheaper counterparts, Ford transits or dodge promasters

&

Why, for our safety, of course.

I couldn’t even tell that lie with a straight face. Lol.

Star B

White Lightening
tenor.gif

First off, when the sprinters started entering the fleet, the transit line didnt exist in North America. Additionally, Dodge was owned by Damiler at that time (Dontcha remember the ads saying DamilerChrysler LLC?) so if we were buying "Dodge" vans, they would just have been Mercedes Sprinters with a Dodge brand on them.

You know... I get it.. It's a 'mercedes'.. it's 'high class foreign' to us in the USA... but in Europe, Mercedes is basically a Ford.... a better built ford, but still a Ford.

Also.... Some of our sprinters in our local fleet are pushing 300k. There are a few that are well over that. Even those.... they STILL accelerate well, drive great, and provide a comfortable ride with room to work in. Compare that to some of our Ford vans that have 200-300k on them with shifters that are wobbly as fsck, engines that misfire all the time, and blower motors that only work on "High". Our VMX guys are also Ford lovers/loyalists(they'd kill for a fleet of transits), so don't think they're just giving the Sprinters the eurolove and neglecting the vans...

Anyway, back to it, Dodge is now owned by FIAT, The Promaster is just a rebadged FIAT Ducato and they suck. they sit too high up for anyone that's tall so you have to lean back so far in the seat you look like you're going to be capp'in packages in someonez :censored2:....

MAKAVELI

tenor.gif

&

For the same reasons UPS does.

MAKAVELI

First off, when the sprinters started entering the fleet, the transit line didnt exist in North America. Additionally, Dodge was owned by Damiler at that time (Dontcha remember the ads saying DamilerChrysler LLC?) so if we were buying "Dodge" vans, they would just have been Mercedes Sprinters with a Dodge brand on them.

You know... I get it.. It's a 'mercedes'.. it's 'high class foreign' to us in the USA... but in Europe, Mercedes is basically a Ford.... a better built ford, but still a Ford.

Also.... Some of our sprinters in our local fleet are pushing 300k. There are a few that are well over that. Even those.... they STILL accelerate well, drive great, and provide a comfortable ride with room to work in. Compare that to some of our Ford vans that have 200-300k on them with shifters that are wobbly as fsck, engines that misfire all the time, and blower motors that only work on "High". Our VMX guys are also Ford lovers/loyalists(they'd kill for a fleet of transits), so don't think they're just giving the Sprinters the eurolove and neglecting the vans...

Anyway, back to it, Dodge is now owned by FIAT, The Promaster is just a rebadged FIAT Ducato and they suck. they sit too high up for anyone that's tall so you have to lean back so far in the seat you look like you're going to be capp'in packages in someonez :censored2:....
The Promaster does have more power and a very tight turning radius though. Other than that the Sprinter is better suited for the job and probably hold up better over time.

dvalleyjim

The only one that can legally track a ground driver for some disciplinary (spying) is the contractor. But legal doesn't really apply to FedEx Ground. They can spy on me all day. Not that good of a job.