GPS tighten your standards?

dcdriver

nations capital
GPS Time Study improves the accuracy of walks in residential areas, reduces cost, and makes the the information auditable....

Its relatively straightforward. Using the DIAD GPS readings and satellite maps the location of the park position is marked as well as the delivery location. The IE looks at that information on the computer and adjusts the points as necessary.

It used to be that you rated 1 walk, 2 walk, etc. This was subjective and guess what.... Audits showed errors. Plus, classifyng walks was good in the manual days. Why not give credit for each foot walked? That is what this does.

The data is saved and summarized by unit as done before. If someone wants to audit, it can be done.... Yes, I've heard that the distance is straight line. Yes that is true. But its also calculated from the middle of the street.....

I'm not a genius, and I'm no longer an I.E. guy. But I did take the time to learn what it does and post the facts as I understand them.....

The average driver and center gained time with this new "virtual" Time Study...... That is also a fact.

once again my whole center gained time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just curious; what's the margin of error on the GPS location? When we were looking at using GPS locators in air containers and trailers not that long ago, the circle of error wasn't quite close enough to allow automatic spotting on doors...having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that the DIAD is that much more accurate.

I believe it is 200'.

stink219

You are right it won't cut off two hours the route, but d<>cking around in the back of the truck all day won't help your cause either.

I do not need to demonstrate all day...my job is to make you "demonstrate" all day and that I am damn sure I can do.

Dragon
Dear Puff the magic,
I hope you don't mind my calling you on a first name basis. I know this post will probably get censored as most of mine usually do. First off, you don't need to "demonstrate" because you can't. Nobody can be perfect on all methods everyday. That's the point. I have never met one sup, manager or DM that could drive and deliver efficiently. Matter of fact, I'll go right out and say that you folks all out suck at it. That's why your in that position isn't it? Because you either couldn't do the job or you just wanted to get paid more for doing less. So, who is the real time thief now? And trust me, EVERY ride I ever had with a sup on car resulted in a worse over allowed than ever. You would be no different. Enjoy stealing time.

stink219

Because you either couldn't do the job or you just wanted to get paid more for doing less.

...or maybe they wanted to use their brain rather than their back...
But they don't get to. The strings attached the their limbs tend to get in the way. Remember, they are only told what to do and then do it. It's human robotics. As a driver, you use much more brain activity. We fix management problems everyday we deliver.

brownrod

As long as you're not dogging it out there and intentionally slowing down or driving the long way to a stop to earn more money anyone should be fine. Of course you're going to do the route faster with a management person standing next to you for three days. He/she is not going to allow you to speak with your customers and we all know this is not how the real world works. Customer contact is imperative if we want to keep up the image of the "friendly UPS guy" or my "UPS guy is like family". Which the company likes a promotes to the general public.

I fully disagree. I am always slower when a supervisor rides with me. Speaking with customers is not our responsibility. Avoiding customer contact is one of my priorities!

It is obvious that UPS does not care about us being friendly or like family. They want us to deliver as fast as possible. This is all that matters. Customer service is not my concern. Delivering packages as safely and quickly as possible is all that matters.

Besides, management measures customer service in terms of missed packages and commit times. To management customer service has nothing to do with talking to customers.

Is this a PCM....???

Get on the truck.

Demonstrate you can do the job....

At least, for more than 5 minutes.

Methods.... won't cut 2 hours off.... any route.

If anything, you make more money.

-Bug-

Admittedly, management has never showed me how to do the job faster. All of the procedures and methods they add make the job slower.
They want us to go faster but offer no method that actually makes our job faster or more efficient.

You can be a dishonest, time wasting slug on a route with a good time study and management will give you a high five everyday and tell you how great you are because of a number on a piece of paper.

And, unfortunately, and can be an honest, hard worker who does this job faster than anyone else and management will treat you like a worthless piece of ***** because you were overallowed (even though they could never bonus themselves).

You need a thick skin and a 'don't give a rip' attitude. Ignore management and just go out and do your job. That is the only way to be happy.

Everything meaningful to management is on that stupid piece of paper that has our over/under. They have lost touch with the real world. Don't waste your time acknowledging their pitiful concerns. They want you to increase your over/under but offer no practical way to do so.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I fully disagree. I am always slower when a supervisor rides with me. Speaking with customers is not our responsibility. Avoiding customer contact is one of my priorities!

It is possible to both work and chat with your customers, especially at bulk stops. My first is Walmart and the receiver and I chat while I am scanning and putting them on the rollers and she is stacking them. It's when the chatting turns in to a conversation at every stop that we lose time.

brownrod

GPS Time Study improves the accuracy of walks in residential areas, reduces cost, and makes the the information auditable....

Its relatively straightforward. Using the DIAD GPS readings and satellite maps the location of the park position is marked as well as the delivery location. The IE looks at that information on the computer and adjusts the points as necessary.

IE is gaming the system against us. A cover driver doing a rural route DR's packages alongside a road at the end of a customers driveway. The bid driver comes along and actually walks or drives up a long dirt road/driveway and is now screwed because the time study is based on the cover driver throwing the package on the side of the road.

pretzel_man

Just curious; what's the margin of error on the GPS location? When we were looking at using GPS locators in air containers and trailers not that long ago, the circle of error wasn't quite close enough to allow automatic spotting on doors...having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that the DIAD is that much more accurate.

People here call it GPS time study. That is really a misnomer.. Its a "virtual" time study.

The real question to ask is how accurate are satellite maps. GPS just shows the IE where the delivery occurred. The IE moves the point to where they belong. From the middle of the street to the delivery point.

Go prove it to yourself. Go find a satellite image of a football field (I did). Draw a line from one end zone to another. See how close to 300 feet it calculates. This does the same thing.

Think of how many times people re-estimated walk classifications for the same stop from study to study. Now that is not needed. Unless they move the house (or the delivery point changes) there is no need to redo the work.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

I'd have to call my son to be sure (he used to be a cell phone tech), but devices like cell phones and the DIAD use a combination of GPS signals from satellites and triangulated signals from cell towers to determine position. Depending on the sensitivity and accuracy of the gps antenna in the device (ever had the DIAD go crazy for a while after dropping it?), the triangulation method may be more accurate. If the antenna is sensitive enough to pick up a sufficient number of satellites, the gps method will be more accurate.

In other words, it's just as accurate as the signal it gets.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Another example, my son and I both have the same golf/gps app on our iPhones. Sitting next to each other, we've had readings as far apart as 20 yards.

BrownArmy

In other words, it's just as accurate as the signal it gets.

Which is why, on occasion, the DIAD will beep (RED FLAG!) when you're actually at the right location.

Every once in a while (satellites screwy?), the DIAD will beep <wrong-address> at every single address.

Sucks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Which is why, on occasion, the DIAD will beep (RED FLAG!) when you're actually at the right location.

Every once in a while (satellites screwy?), the DIAD will beep <wrong-address> at every single address.

Sucks.

Your mgt team may also be watching you. When they run ODS-E it messes up the GPS on the DIAD.

CAFAL

Thanks for the replies. Now are you saying, that if you stop complete a dr at the rear door, the gps calculates that stop and the distance it is? So then a virtual time study should be more accurate, although the time allowed for things who knows what those are.

Our center manager told us to dr to back door every stop to gain time

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What does that mean, 'whey they run ODS-E..'?

Not being facetious, I'm simply not familiar with that term.

'They' can watch me all they want, I'm a method's man.

ODS-E is a computer program your mgt team can use to follow your every move throughout the day (5 minute delay). It uses the GPS from your DIAD to plot your position and goes in to your DIAD to see how much work you have done and how much you have left to do. My mgt team has used ODS-E to question our ETA's ("what do you mean you won't be in until 1900---you only have 5 stops left and have already taken your lunch") and to support/refute concerns.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
I believe it is 200'.

Uh, that's a pretty big error circle.

And, just curious, how does the DIAD work inside buildings? WRT the GPS/cell phone thing? Can't imagine it is even that accurate. So, how does the 'virtual time study' work inside a mall, or a 6-story highrise?

Still having a hard time understanding how this is accurate to within +/- 5% of the planned day. Which USED to be the standard of time studies. Which means, on an 8-hour day, the allowance could be off plus/minus 24 minutes.