Greece

Babagounj

Strength through joy
When China implodes , we are all doomed .
Currently the have dropped their interest rates for the 4th time this year to boost their economy , have keep their currency's value at inflated amounts and have seen a steady decline in GNP .

bbsam

Staff member
I'm thinking the same.

It's funny to me that they are basically saying fine we will default.
Think about it. Why would they not? If this is the first of many and will have devastating effects rippling from it, that the world economies could be teetering on edge and many collapse, why not take the plunge?

rickyb

first of many. fraud is rampant. its well known that american did not re-regulate their banks. theirs all kinds of fraud going on in london too. spain is about to vote in a far left wing government. france is voting in a new right wing party. australia has a housing bubble. chinas got a bubble too i believe. canada has a housing bubble.

i personally like the instability.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So when the world economy goes in the crapper and the normal way of life goes out the window, those who have the most thermonuclear warheads will make the rules.

wkmac

What if "those who have the most thermonuclear warheads" were the ones who made the rules that put the world economy in the crapper to begin with?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What if "those who have the most thermonuclear warheads" were the ones who made the rules that put the world economy in the crapper to begin with?
It doesn't change the fact that they will still be making the rules. Although technically speaking, I think the Russians have about 300 more than we do. But if we count the UK's and France's nukes in with ours it makes it about even. So it looks like the 4 of us will be making the rules.

rickyb

1649102314793.png

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

View attachment 379029
:censored2: the Greeks…

rickyb

From the beginning, the first Eurogroup, it was clear that the troika leaders dominating those meetings were determined to prevent any serious debate on Greece’s ‘program’. I would arrive with a determination to find an honourable compromise on the basis of apt technical proposals the purpose of which was to help the people of Greece breathe again while minimising the costs to our creditors (that dominated the Eurogroup).

In sharp contrast, the troika leaders, and their complicit finance ministers, would stonewall while refusing to discuss my proposals or to counter-propose anything that made financial, political or moral sense. Again and again they demanded our government’s surrender to a neocolonial, austerity, neocolonial program that they themselves, behind closed doors, confessed it had failed!

rickyb

Speak for yourself there Socrates
Human life is of no concern to corporate capitalists. The suffering of the Greeks, like the suffering of ordinary Americans, is very good for the profit margins of financial institutions such as Goldman Sachs. It was, after all, Goldman Sachs—which shoved subprime mortgages down the throats of families it knew could never pay the loans back, sold the subprime mortgages as investments to pension funds and then bet against them—that orchestrated complex financial agreements with Greece, many of them secret. These agreements doubled the debt Greece owes under derivative deals and allowed the old Greek government to mask its real debt to keep borrowing. And when Greece imploded, Goldman Sachs headed out the door with suitcases full of cash.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Human life is of no concern to corporate capitalists. The suffering of the Greeks, like the suffering of ordinary Americans, is very good for the profit margins of financial institutions such as Goldman Sachs. It was, after all, Goldman Sachs—which shoved subprime mortgages down the throats of families it knew could never pay the loans back, sold the subprime mortgages as investments to pension funds and then bet against them—that orchestrated complex financial agreements with Greece, many of them secret. These agreements doubled the debt Greece owes under derivative deals and allowed the old Greek government to mask its real debt to keep borrowing. And when Greece imploded, Goldman Sachs headed out the door with suitcases full of cash.

:censored2: the Greeks

rickyb

An inspection of the new government’s cast and programme shows that they are aiming for a Latvian solution to our permanent Great Depression: dealing with under-employment via the emigration of even more young people; subjecting the remaining workers to medieval terms and conditions; devastating small businesses whose market share will be taken over by troika-supported multinational oligopolies; using the banking system to launder dark money; surrendering public assets and the property of indebted households to assorted vultures; and leaving the state too impoverished to look after the weak but ever so generous to the strong.

As this naked class war will provoke considerable resistance, I expect the new government to turn viciously authoritarian. Already, New Democracy cadres warn of new draconian laws against dissent. The alliance of neoliberals and post-fascists entering Greek ministries will work together to violate basic civil liberties in the name of … economic liberalism.