Greeting the boss

oldupsman

For me it all depended on who was the center manager at the time. Some of them had a sense of humor and some didn't. I had one who called everybody "Meat" because he said we were just bodies to him. The funny thing was you could talk back to him in his own language and was one of the better ones I worked with. During the strike of 1983 he even ran an extension cord out to us so we could watch 8mm smut flicks on the side of a UPS trailer.

I must really be losing it. Strike of 83?

ski or die

Ski or Die
That depends....am I on the clock?
On company property, not really much difference of physically assaulting someone even though not on the clock. I'm well aware of treat people with respect and you will receive the same. But also aware that doesn't apply to the way management treats their employees. Best not to say anything if nothing pleasant to say.

rod

Retired 22 years
I must really be losing it. Strike of 83?

I believe it was 14 days. I went through two strikes while at UPS. We were more or less told by both the Union and the Company the first one was going to be two weeks long---the second one (97) was a little scarier. No end date for that one predicted. I was also there for a one day total shutdown (at least for Minnesota) when the re was a big pissing match over whether an accidental death benefit was going to be paid when a part timer hung himself doing the old choke and jerk off move. I'm not 100% sure on the 1983 date. When I Googled it that is what showed up after some searching.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
We had the one day strike about the Over 70's in 1994, not aware of any national ones in 1983. If you pull up the Wikipedia page it incorrectly lists the 1997 strike as happening in 1983 in the first sentence.

oldngray

nowhere special
We had the one day strike about the Over 70's in 1994, not aware of any national ones in 1983. If you pull up the Wikipedia page it incorrectly lists the 1997 strike as happening in 1983 in the first sentence.

Agreed. 1983 was quiet around here. It wasn't even a contract year I think. 1981 had the beginning of lower rate for part timers but no strike about it.

opey

Ive only been around a few months, but my center manager is really cool... constantly making jokes, doesnt really nitpick too much, and just wants safety above everything else... Everyone who's been there, and that works in other centers, seem to really like him too... Cant complain, but unfortunately he is retiring next year.

rod

Retired 22 years
Agreed. 1983 was quiet around here. It wasn't even a contract year I think. 1981 had the beginning of lower rate for part timers but no strike about it.

This was before TDU came about. There was a group that went by the name "UPSurge". I still have a tee-shirt that shows the letter S as a snake with the logo---"UPSurge--Ready To Strike For a Decent Contract". We were out for 2 weeks. I thought it was nation wide but it could have been only Central States. That was a long time ago.

oldngray

nowhere special
This was before TDU came about. There was a group that went by the name "UPSurge". I still have a tee-shirt that shows the letter S as a snake with the logo---"UPSurge--Ready To Strike For a Decent Contract". We were out for 2 weeks. I thought it was nation wide but it could have been only Central States. That was a long time ago.

I was Central States and never heard of UPSurge and we didn't strike. TDU was about 10 years or so later I think.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was Central States and never heard of UPSurge and we didn't strike. TDU was about 10 years or so later I think.

All I know is we were out for 2 weeks, I still have my strike sign (and the one I kept from 97) and I got the tee-shirt.

oldngray

nowhere special
All I know is we were out for 2 weeks, I still have my strike sign (and the one I kept from 97) and I got the tee-shirt.

Only strikes I were on were the 3 week strike in 97 and the 1 day wildcat when weights went to 150. There was also a big strike in 1976 just before I started.

rod

Retired 22 years
An article I dug from the Chicago Tribune up said it affected 13 states and we were out 2 weeks. I must have been day dreaming about it being a nation wide strike.

Geo926

I like my center manager and both the on cars. center manager can be a bit of a hard ass but our center is a pretty good group and he knows this. Peak has been pretty smooth (so far.)

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
In my previous career I was in a position that demanded I speak in front of groups a few times a year. I can,and do,speak to everyone in a cordial manor.