Ground Pickup on Express Route

Winefer2

Always take Ground / UPS packages - Have a great relationship with the Couriers - we have a Postal Annex we all pick up from - so it's doable on our routes

bjjrican

Wouldn't it have been a lot easier for all involved for you to have just accepted the package and either handed it to an Express driver on your route or put it in a drop box on your way back to the depot?

I mean I would have did it if she wasn’t being a bitch about it. I’ve taken packages for Xpress drivers on my route for a lot of my customers. There are 3 Xpress drivers that I bump into on a daily bases. They always ask me what am I doing with it. I tell them “one of my regulars asked if I can give this to Xpress or drop it off at the FDX Office.” They take it and say thank you.

SmithBarney

I mean I would have did it if she wasn’t being a bitch about it. I’ve taken packages for Xpress drivers on my route for a lot of my customers. There are 3 Xpress drivers that I bump into on a daily bases. They always ask me what am I doing with it. I tell them “one of my regulars asked if I can give this to Xpress or drop it off at the FDX Office.” They take it and say thank you.

Problem is you open yourself up to liability...
"oh I gave the package with a $5,000 Diamond in it to my Ground driver, he said he'd give it to the Express guy..."
Part of the reason Express has so many Scans is for chain of custody and all that... if you cannot scan it(G->E or E->G) information is lost and risk goes up.
BJJICAN, do yourself a favor now that you may be hired at Express... Don't get creative with how you do your job, do what you are told and don't deviate from the rules.
Don't try to do what "makes sense" much of what we do doesn't, they don't want you to think, just "do"

SmithBarney

Just ran into a ground driver who snagged an Express Envelope I was heading into a building for.(Same place as before)

Scenario(I wish I was making this up)

I drive up to stop, park behind IDLING Ground truck which is parked crooked blocking entire entrance to parking lot...

Head into stop to see person wearing a Filthy torn grey FedEx Shirt,
Not exaggerating when I say him or his clothes didn't look to be washed in several days.

He walking out with Express Envelope in hand..
I say "hey is that mine?.."
"oh yeah, I was gonna drop it in a box for you"
I kept it civil and simple "please, don't do that again"

Went in to customer and informed them, hope this fixes it at least for this guy

Oldfart

Just ran into a ground driver who snagged an Express Envelope I was heading into a building for.(Same place as before)

Scenario(I wish I was making this up)

I drive up to stop, park behind IDLING Ground truck which is parked crooked blocking entire entrance to parking lot...

Head into stop to see person wearing a Filthy torn grey FedEx Shirt,
Not exaggerating when I say him or his clothes didn't look to be washed in several days.

He walking out with Express Envelope in hand..
I say "hey is that mine?.."
"oh yeah, I was gonna drop it in a box for you"
I kept it civil and simple "please, don't do that again"

Went in to customer and informed them, hope this fixes it at least for this guy
What's the problem? Maybe the customer asked the driver if he could take it because they were leaving early? The driver knew a dropbox was nearby and took the package. Would not let it ruin my day. You made the stop either way. No biggie.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What's the problem? Maybe the customer asked the driver if he could take it because they were leaving early? The driver knew a dropbox was nearby and took the package. Would not let it ruin my day. You made the stop either way. No biggie.

Suppose the on call was 15 miles each way-----would you be so benevolent?

Oldfart

Suppose the on call was 15 miles each way-----would you be so benevolent?
I get paid by the hr. If I get a package or not, I still get paid. I have ran extended areas and ran into that very scenario. Still not gonna let it ruin my day. Gives me a chance to turn on some Sirius Radio Motown or Beatles channel and enjoy the drive.

SmithBarney

More to life than worrying about whether a package is going to be there when I get there.

Not worried about it being there, ticked when I get there and it's not, as it's an inconvenience , I don't care about my numbers, but my manager does. and if I can be home 20minutes earlier so I can have dinner with my 6 kids, that'd be great m'kay

Oldfart

Not worried about it being there, ticked when I get there and it's not, as it's an inconvenience , I don't care about my numbers, but my manager does. and if I can be home 20minutes earlier so I can have dinner with my 6 kids, that'd be great m'kay
You made a pu attempt. I don't believe a "No Package" scan affects your numbers any different than a PUP.

dvalleyjim

I wish people would stop giving me their Express packages. I tell them I can't take it that it will be late. They look at me like with this confused look and say "but your FedEx". Jeez, what a company! On the other hand, if I know there is a drop box that I can make before the pickup time and it fits, I'll take it.

If the driver looked dirty to you prima donna's it's because he has real work to do in an truck with no air conditioner delivering 70-150 lb. packages in a dirty ass diesel truck that the owner never cleans or maintains.