Ground to absorb Express

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It's the same old thing from Old Fart and Fred's Myth. They call the rest of us stupid and uninformed but their complete lack of intelligent discourse reduces them to personal attacks as well as continuing to cling desperately to their belief that Express is and always will be in a market so specialized that it will never have to adapt to a changing economic landscape or do battle with a formidable new competitor who can do anything they can do and do it a lower cost. Every scenario brought up during this discussion has merit. The only difference is timeline and cost As present and sidelined contractors who have seen a generation of continuous change that required us to hoard up huge hairballs of money in response to those changes being prepared for a dramatic and completely unforeseen turn of events is the clear distinction between a contractor and simple wage earners like friend&friend . These are two people who can function provided that change is subtle evolves slowly and have pay checks that are consistent reliable and increase steadily. You and I both know how long those two would last if they were to suddenly find themselves in the challenging world of route contracting where your only salvation is to be prepared for anything and I mean anything as you do doubt know from your own first hand experience.
BTW, the title of this thread is Ground to absorb Express, which is the subject I am discussing. You are the derail.

Three questions:
1. How much do you have invested in your business?
2. How much is your business worth?
3. How much would it take to buy you out?

Ballpark figures would be fine.

Serf

From what the old fogies at the station make it sound like... if mgmt cared about the couriers like they did when they were Privately-held Express.... the employees would care a ton more about lates... and management wouldn't be so hell-bent on costs... so the problem wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is.
AMEN.

bacha29

BTW, the title of this thread is Ground to absorb Express, which is the subject I am discussing. You are the derail.

Three questions:
1. How much do you have invested in your business?
2. How much is your business worth?
3. How much would it take to buy you out?

Ballpark figures would be fine.
Go to BizQuest.com. Take a look at what they're going for then prove to me that you have the cash needed to buy one.

vantexan

Go to BizQuest.com. Take a look at what they're going for then prove to me that you have the cash needed to buy one.
Gee Bacha, why does he have to prove anything to you? And why are we going round and round about something that's not even on the horizon yet? People can't live their lives thinking FedEx is going to take away everything at any moment. Until FedEx makes a clear statement of such intent the starting pay of the lowest payscale is $16.60. There are a lot of people who make much less and may never reach $16.60, let alone make much more within 10 years. You didn't get what you were led to believe you'd get? Yeah, me too. Happened to a lot of us. But why try to mess with the minds of current Express couriers? No one except the company knows exactly what the future holds, and that is probably always evolving. Neither of us are still with the company, maybe it's time we moved on.

Gone fishin

Gee Bacha, why does he have to prove anything to you? And why are we going round and round about something that's not even on the horizon yet? People can't live their lives thinking FedEx is going to take away everything at any moment. Until FedEx makes a clear statement of such intent the starting pay of the lowest payscale is $16.60. There are a lot of people who make much less and may never reach $16.60, let alone make much more within 10 years. You didn't get what you were led to believe you'd get? Yeah, me too. Happened to a lot of us. But why try to mess with the minds of current Express couriers? No one except the company knows exactly what the future holds, and that is probably always evolving. Neither of us are still with the company, maybe it's time we moved on.
That's my point exactly.its not like most drivers make 80 grand a year. I'm thinking most make in the 40's. Fed ex has done well on the business side of holding down wages.
I just don't see the reason to make all these drastic changes.
What do you want drivers to make 25,000 a year ?

SmithBarney

That's my point exactly.its not like most drivers make 80 grand a year. I'm thinking most make in the 40's...

40s would be nice... "most employees" now since more that 50% of employees have less than 10yrs
your average 10year courier(step 2 or 3) making only 40hrs a week, Grosses 36k add in very little overtime, and subtract taxes(~%20) and health insurance(3-5k/yr), and that number drops fast.

vantexan

40s would be nice... "most employees" now since more that 50% of employees have less than 10yrs
your average 10year courier(step 2 or 3) making only 40hrs a week, Grosses 36k add in very little overtime, and subtract taxes(~%20) and health insurance(3-5k/yr), and that number drops fast.
Top out on lowest payscale now what? $26.38hr? That's over $1050 a week on 40. Throw in OT just for Peak and easily $55k. Not UPS numbers but after a decade plus at much lower pay a lot of couriers will be pretty happy with that.

bacha29

Why should I have to prove anything to him? He's the one who jumped in with the personal attacks. All I did was do something he never expected. Make him eat it.

It will be fine

My guys start at 45k if they hit their bonus every month, which is easy to do. Throw in a couple grand extra during peak. No 401 or health but it's not far apart depending on what the employee is looking for. I'm not sure why express guys think you're so much more valuable than Ground guys.

vantexan

My guys start at 45k if they hit their bonus every month, which is easy to do. Throw in a couple grand extra during peak. No 401 or health but it's not far apart depending on what the employee is looking for. I'm not sure why express guys think you're so much more valuable than Ground guys.
As the contractor do you get to set the pay based on FedEx guidelines or is it strictly up to you? If up to you I'm sure you weigh what it takes to keep people vs what you want to make in profit. Same with FedEx. The new pay program is strictly about stopping turnover, employee retention. Doesn't matter what couriers think they're worth. Quite a few here think they should be getting UPS pay. FedEx would keep Express pay as close to Ground as possible if they could. The new plan is the compromise.

It will be fine

As the contractor do you get to set the pay based on FedEx guidelines or is it strictly up to you? If up to you I'm sure you weigh what it takes to keep people vs what you want to make in profit. Same with FedEx. The new pay program is strictly about stopping turnover, employee retention. Doesn't matter what couriers think they're worth. Quite a few here think they should be getting UPS pay. FedEx would keep Express pay as close to Ground as possible if they could. The new plan is the compromise.
Entirely up to me. I'm on the low end for Ground guys in my area. Well above HD. Turnover doesn't really impact my operation too much. It only takes a week or 2 to train someone up. I was more making a point to the superiority that comes off the typical express driver here. The "you get what you pay for" comments.

whenIgetthere

17 years, step four, grossed 38K last year. Very rarely get 40 hours (despite signing up for extra hours everyday), most weeks are 36 to 38 hours. Meanwhile the topped out courier next to me is making 75K while doing half the work.

Oldfart

17 years, step four, grossed 38K last year. Very rarely get 40 hours (despite signing up for extra hours everyday), most weeks are 36 to 38 hours. Meanwhile the topped out courier next to me is making 75K while doing half the work.
No hours is the station managers fault. Overstaffed. Plenty of freight out there but there must be too many routes.

vantexan

No hours is the station managers fault. Overstaffed. Plenty of freight out there but there must be too many routes.
If the topped out guy is getting $75k then he's getting plenty of OT. Looks like the work should be better allocated. Would save the company money.

vantexan

Entirely up to me. I'm on the low end for Ground guys in my area. Well above HD. Turnover doesn't really impact my operation too much. It only takes a week or 2 to train someone up. I was more making a point to the superiority that comes off the typical express driver here. The "you get what you pay for" comments.
I've met some very good people at Ground. And I've met some that Express would never hire. Not because they were incompetent, just that Ground was a huge upgrade from the McJobs they were used to. Personally I think if anyone wants to know exactly what FedEx thinks of their rank-and-file look at the compensation and lack of benefits at Ground. And know that's exactly where Express couriers would be if they could help it. We aren't better, just luckier.

Oldfart

If the topped out guy is getting $75k then he's getting plenty of OT. Looks like the work should be better allocated. Would save the company money.

Our entire station is built on OT. 8 hours a week is on the low side. Most get 10 or more on 5 day week and 15 or more for any Saturday you want to work. We usually take turns getting someone off at 9 hrs every day while the rest of us take extra stops and work our normal 10.5 or 11 hrs. If multiple routes are getting less than 40 hours, the station most likely has too many routes. Just 1 extra route can cut multiple people's hours.

dezguy

Sounds like your station is understaffed.

The only time ot is available where I am is for town halls or at peak, should anyone want it. All fine by me. Time with my family is far more important than a few extra bucks.

Oldfart

Sounds like your station is understaffed.

The only time ot is available where I am is for town halls or at peak, should anyone want it. All fine by me. Time with my family is far more important than a few extra bucks.
Not understaffed, just lean. To each his own as far as OT. Having the money to do what you want when you want with your family is a great feeling. Few extra bucks? Getting 40 hours and making 59k or working 1.5 or so OT hours a day and making 78k allows the money to take the Disney vacations, Bahama cruise and Hawaii vacations all possible and still send 2 kids to college.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not understaffed, just lean. To each his own as far as OT. Having the money to do what you want when you want with your family is a great feeling. Few extra bucks? Getting 40 hours and making 59k or working 1.5 or so OT hours a day and making 78k allows the money to take the Disney vacations, Bahama cruise and Hawaii vacations all possible and still send 2 kids to college.

Making $73-78K working little to no OT is even better! :)