Ground to absorb Express

dezguy

Not understaffed, just lean. To each his own as far as OT. Having the money to do what you want when you want with your family is a great feeling. Few extra bucks? Getting 40 hours and making 59k or working 1.5 or so OT hours a day and making 78k allows the money to take the Disney vacations, Bahama cruise and Hawaii vacations all possible and still send 2 kids to college.
I couldn't tell you the last time I worked ot. Even still, my wife just put the finishing touches on the two week vacation to Cuba we're taking at the end of November and we'll still be sending our kids to university.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
you are missing the point the whole reason that FedEx Express drivers are under the rla is because they handle exclusively air freight and no ground Freight.

Express drivers are covered by the RLA because they are part of an airline. Has virtually nothing to do with the status of the freight. Has everything to do with the fact that they are useless without the airplanes.

59 Dano

FedEx can't have it both ways. Express handles Express freight and Ground handles ground freight. That's why there is an exemption. By having ground deliver "Express" freight they would be skirting exemption to maximize profit and lawsuits would be flying left and right.
This is straight from fedex.

You're not getting it. If Express subcontracted the deliveries to Ground (or anyone else), it wouldn't matter as far as the RLA goes.

If Express employees were delivering Ground packages, there would be a problem.

59 Dano

BTW, the title of this thread is Ground to absorb Express, which is the subject I am discussing. You are the derail.

Three questions:
1. How much do you have invested in your business?
2. How much is your business worth?
3. How much would it take to buy you out?

Ballpark figures would be fine.

Wasn't he one of those single route "I bought a job" guys?

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

Express drivers are covered by the RLA because they are part of an airline. Has virtually nothing to do with the status of the freight. Has everything to do with the fact that they are useless without the airplanes.

You're not getting it. If Express subcontracted the deliveries to Ground (or anyone else), it wouldn't matter as far as the RLA goes.

If Express employees were delivering Ground packages, there would be a problem.
I'll just post this again.
A Discussion on the RLA and UPS Campaign
Here’s where we stand:

• We firmly believe the RLA is the proper classification for our company.
  • Unlike our competition, we operate an integrated air/ground network and handle air shipments separately in that network. RLA jurisdiction gives us the best opportunity to deliver reliable, uninterrupted service to customers.
  • It is that superior service that has allowed us to grow despite the best efforts of a larger competitor — UPS. Their current Washington lobbying campaign seeks to gain a competitive advantage they have been unable to achieve through their service performance.
  • If we were re-classified, the government would in effect give UPS unfair advantage and jeopardize the reliability of the FedEx integrated delivery network. Such a change potentially causes major disruptions to commerce and consumers.

MAKAVELI

If Fred could do it and keep his precious RLA, he would've done it already.

59 Dano

My guys start at 45k if they hit their bonus every month, which is easy to do. Throw in a couple grand extra during peak. No 401 or health but it's not far apart depending on what the employee is looking for. I'm not sure why express guys think you're so much more valuable than Ground guys.

An Express courier starts out at just under $35k. The cost of the 401k match and insurance is worth more than the $10k difference in our respective starting pay rates.

59 Dano

I'll just post this again.
A Discussion on the RLA and UPS Campaign
Here’s where we stand:

• We firmly believe the RLA is the proper classification for our company.
  • Unlike our competition, we operate an integrated air/ground network and handle air shipments separately in that network. RLA jurisdiction gives us the best opportunity to deliver reliable, uninterrupted service to customers.
  • It is that superior service that has allowed us to grow despite the best efforts of a larger competitor — UPS. Their current Washington lobbying campaign seeks to gain a competitive advantage they have been unable to achieve through their service performance.
  • If we were re-classified, the government would in effect give UPS unfair advantage and jeopardize the reliability of the FedEx integrated delivery network. Such a change potentially causes major disruptions to commerce and consumers.
Yes, and? Express is the division that ships packages by air. If they subbed out the last mile to Ground, there would be no change in the status or classification of Express or Express employees. As the other guy also pointed out, removing the DGO/trucks from Express and getting out of the last mile of the process strengthens the argument that Express should be RLA.

MAKAVELI

Yes, and? Express is the division that ships packages by air. If they subbed out the last mile to Ground, there would be no change in the status or classification of Express or Express employees. As the other guy also pointed out, removing the DGO/trucks from Express and getting out of the last mile of the process strengthens the argument that Express should be RLA.
And? I guess you need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Why should I have to prove anything to him? He's the one who jumped in with the personal attacks. All I did was do something he never expected. Make him eat it.
You amuse and amaze me. I challenge you to go back through this entire thread, and read both mine and your posts, and tell me who made the personal attacks. You sound both irrational and delusional. See, THAT was a personal attack.

Oldfart

You amuse and amaze me. I challenge you to go back through this entire thread, and read both mine and your posts, and tell me who made the personal attacks. You sound both irrational and delusional. See, THAT was a personal attack.

Bacha needs to take his own advice. He accuses others of making personal attacks while he does the same thing. Pot. Meet Kettle

Oldfart

I couldn't tell you the last time I worked ot. Even still, my wife just put the finishing touches on the two week vacation to Cuba we're taking at the end of November and we'll still be sending our kids to university.
You are my hero and I am impressed.

Star B

White Lightening
And? I guess you need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

You quoted FedEx defending their RLA status. They would claim Kinkos should be under the RLA because they accept air shipments if they could.

Additionally that second paragraph is saying "We like our current home field advantage in the labor field. We'd get murdered if we actually had to compete on service"

The only "service protection" the RLA provides is the incredible hurdle of employees striking and organizing. FXE does not want a replay of the '97 strike on their soil.

Let's change the perspective. Let's say a UPS 3 day saver package and a FXE XS package from Beverly Hills to NYC. Both are going to go on a plane. Does that mean that UPS is incorrectly classified and should be changed to the RLA? Of course not. Well, let's take that same XS/3DS package from Beverly Hills to Irvine. Neither package is going to go on a plane. Does that mean that FXE is now incorrectly classified?

Let's take it another step. Let's say that FXE turns into FXE-LineHaul and FXG turns into FXE-DGO. FXE-DGO would take the package, sort the package into a can, take it to the ramp, and then pay FXE-LH to transport the package to Memphis, NYC where the local FXE-DGO semi takes it from the ramp and sorts it for final delivery. We have two separate companies dealing with the freight here. The company that has the minimal amount of tires on the ground (FXE-LH) under the RLA... and FXE-DGO under... the NLRB and the smattering of contractors. It's really no different than the current ground model, with line haul contractors transporting trailers from station to station... other than the contractor would be the Express Airplane Opco.

The ONLY reason why we can even entertain the fact that we are miss classified is because of the huge truck fleet on the ground... like UPS. If UPS has a separate Ground/Air division like we do.... then we wouldn't be able to make this argument.