Ground to absorb Express

MAKAVELI

Let's change the perspective. Let's say a UPS 3 day saver package and a FXE XS package from Beverly Hills to NYC. Both are going to go on a plane. Does that mean that UPS is incorrectly classified and should be changed to the RLA? Of course not. Well, let's take that same XS/3DS package from Beverly Hills to Irvine. Neither package is going to go on a plane. Does that mean that FXE is now incorrectly classified?

Let's take it another step. Let's say that FXE turns into FXE-LineHaul and FXG turns into FXE-DGO. FXE-DGO would take the package, sort the package into a can, take it to the ramp, and then pay FXE-LH to transport the package to Memphis, NYC where the local FXE-DGO semi takes it from the ramp and sorts it for final delivery. We have two separate companies dealing with the freight here. The company that has the minimal amount of tires on the ground (FXE-LH) under the RLA... and FXE-DGO under... the NLRB and the smattering of contractors. It's really no different than the current ground model, with line haul contractors transporting trailers from station to station... other than the contractor would be the Express Airplane Opco.

As I have said earlier, as long as a pkg is labeled Express, it doesn't matter if it never touches a plane. It's still an Express pkg and subject to FAA regulations thus placing it under RLA jurisdiction.[/QUOTE]

MAKAVELI

You quoted FedEx defending their RLA status. They would claim Kinkos should be under the RLA because they accept air shipments if they could.
No because Kinkos is not part of the Express opco and handle both Ground and Express freight among other services provided that do not correlate to shipping.

MAKAVELI

The ONLY reason why we can even entertain the fact that we are miss classified is because of the huge truck fleet on the ground... like UPS. If UPS has a separate Ground/Air division like we do.... then we wouldn't be able to make this argument.
If UPS had a separate Air only division that division would most likely be under the RLA as well. Their pilots are.

vantexan

You quoted FedEx defending their RLA status. They would claim Kinkos should be under the RLA because they accept air shipments if they could.

Additionally that second paragraph is saying "We like our current home field advantage in the labor field. We'd get murdered if we actually had to compete on service"

The only "service protection" the RLA provides is the incredible hurdle of employees striking and organizing. FXE does not want a replay of the '97 strike on their soil.

Let's change the perspective. Let's say a UPS 3 day saver package and a FXE XS package from Beverly Hills to NYC. Both are going to go on a plane. Does that mean that UPS is incorrectly classified and should be changed to the RLA? Of course not. Well, let's take that same XS/3DS package from Beverly Hills to Irvine. Neither package is going to go on a plane. Does that mean that FXE is now incorrectly classified?

Let's take it another step. Let's say that FXE turns into FXE-LineHaul and FXG turns into FXE-DGO. FXE-DGO would take the package, sort the package into a can, take it to the ramp, and then pay FXE-LH to transport the package to Memphis, NYC where the local FXE-DGO semi takes it from the ramp and sorts it for final delivery. We have two separate companies dealing with the freight here. The company that has the minimal amount of tires on the ground (FXE-LH) under the RLA... and FXE-DGO under... the NLRB and the smattering of contractors. It's really no different than the current ground model, with line haul contractors transporting trailers from station to station... other than the contractor would be the Express Airplane Opco.

The ONLY reason why we can even entertain the fact that we are miss classified is because of the huge truck fleet on the ground... like UPS. If UPS has a separate Ground/Air division like we do.... then we wouldn't be able to make this argument.
The RLA was enacted to prevent wildcat strikes by various unions that would disrupt railroad service. We're put under it because allowing a station by station unionization could disrupt service with similar strikes. So a union for us has to be similar to the railroad's union, national and all or nothing for strikes. And very difficult to form a union. It's a stretch to classify us this way but once under it it takes political will to declassify us. And that will comes from demonstrated abuse. Guess what? New pay plan says to gov't concerns are being addressed. Folks here think it's all smoke and mirrors but pay plan is real. And Express will go on for foreseeable future and Ground will grow by taking business from UPS. If FedEx plays games with pay like it did in the past, which nearly lost it's RLA status, it could jeopardize it again.

MAKAVELI

The RLA was enacted to prevent wildcat strikes by various unions that would disrupt railroad service. We're put under it because allowing a station by station unionization could disrupt service with similar strikes. So a union for us has to be similar to the railroad's union, national and all or nothing for strikes. And very difficult to form a union. It's a stretch to classify us this way but once under it it takes political will to declassify us. And that will comes from demonstrated abuse. Guess what? New pay plan says to gov't concerns are being addressed. Folks here think it's all smoke and mirrors but pay plan is real. And Express will go on for foreseeable future and Ground will grow by taking business from UPS. If FedEx plays games with pay like it did in the past, which nearly lost it's RLA status, it could jeopardize it again.
I'll believe that when I see it. The pay plan was put in to stop the bleeding of employees not keeping the RLA. That was achieved by buying off politicians. What would jeopardize their status would be the use of contractors in delivery of Express freight or vice versa.

vantexan

I'll believe that when I see it. The pay plan was put in to stop the bleeding of employees not keeping the RLA. That was achieved by buying off politicians. What would jeopardize their status would be the use of contractors in delivery of Express freight or vice versa.
I agree but certainly a byproduct of new plan is it demonstrates FedEx is addressing concerns. Whether RLA status is upheld will depend on gov't perception of FedEx, not ours.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
And? I guess you need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

• Unlike our competition, we operate an integrated air/ground network and handle air shipments separately in that network. RLA jurisdiction gives us the best opportunity to deliver reliable, uninterrupted service to customers.

I know what it says. It's a PR piece. Express already contracts 3rd party trucking companies to transport deferred freight. Doesn't matter.

I'm much closer to this issue than you are. A loss of the RLA status would mean that Ground and Express could work together in a combined operation, which is what many believe is the goal. If that's the goal, why does Express cling to the RLA exemption?

Take a guess.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Additionally that second paragraph is saying "We like our current home field advantage in the labor field. We'd get murdered if we actually had to compete on service"

The only "service protection" the RLA provides is the incredible hurdle of employees striking and organizing. FXE does not want a replay of the '97 strike on their soil.

Your conclusions have all been sound, but you're waaaaaaaaay overthinking it.

bacha29

Bacha needs to take his own advice. He accuses others of making personal attacks while he does the same thing. Pot. Meet Kettle
As I said earlier. You snide remarks were nothing more than poorly disguised personal attacks that to your complete surprise were responded to in kind and will continue to be for as long as you and for that matter Fred's Myth want it to continue. Now both of you have proven yourselves capable of engaging in intelligent discourse . There is no need for you to stray from it. One thing is for certain change is coming. What form it will take and when it will happen is anybody's guess.What is for certain is that a large number of people stand to be impacted and it may not be a pleasant experience.

Oldfart

As I said earlier. You snide remarks were nothing more than poorly disguised personal attacks that to your complete surprise were responded to in kind and will continue to be for as long as you and for that matter Fred's Myth want it to continue. Now both of you have proven yourselves capable of engaging in intelligent discourse . There is no need for you to stray from it. One thing is for certain change is coming. What form it will take and when it will happen is anybody's guess.What is for certain is that a large number of people stand to be impacted and it may not be a pleasant experience.
If we could just get rid of you, that would be the start of improvement.

bacha29

If we could just get rid of you, that would be the start of improvement.
The same should be done with you. Right from the very beginning you have offered nothing but personal attacks in an attempt to draw attention to your money and what you believe to be an opulent lifestyle. Conclusive proof of your insecurities and completely undeserved sense of self importance. Some time in the not too distant future your employment will reach it's conclusion. I just hope that you will be emotionally prepared for the shock of your life when you discover just how quickly you'll be forgotten when you walk out that door for the final time.

Oldfart

The same should be done with you. Right from the very beginning you have offered nothing but personal attacks in an attempt to draw attention to your money and what you believe to be an opulent lifestyle. Conclusive proof of your insecurities and completely undeserved sense of self importance. Some time in the not too distant future your employment will reach it's conclusion. I just hope that you will be emotionally prepared for the shock of your life when you discover just how quickly you'll be forgotten when you walk out that door for the final time.

Gonna coast into a life of retirement, contentment and working on my bucket list. Dont care if they forget me or not. Just remember my address for when they send those checks.

bacha29

Gonna coast into a life of retirement, contentment and working on my bucket list. Dont care if they forget me or not. Just remember my address for when they send those checks.
As millions have done before you and millions will do afterward and not a single one of them is going to give an expletive deleted about if you get your check when you get your check or what what the amount of that check is. Why? Because in this country an average of 12,000 people will do exactly what you are about to do and will do it everyday 365 days a year for the next 17 years.

Oldfart

As millions have done before you and millions will do afterward and not a single one of them is going to give an expletive deleted about if you get your check when you get your check or what what the amount of that check is. Why? Because in this country an average of 12,000 people will do exactly what you are about to do and will do it everyday 365 days a year for the next 17 years.
Yep More power to them. I wish everyone could but many do not have the discipline to save during your working years to be able to retire comfortably. You hate it because you are not prepared and while the rest of us are living the life of luxury during retirement, you will be slaving and barely getting by in your hate filled life. Kinda sucks watching others prosper while you barely exist doesn't it.

bacha29

Yep More power to them. I wish everyone could but many do not have the discipline to save during your working years to be able to retire comfortably. You hate it because you are not prepared and while the rest of us are living the life of luxury during retirement, you will be slaving and barely getting by in your hate filled life. Kinda sucks watching others prosper while you barely exist doesn't it.
Wrong Sold the route and retired nearly 2 years ago. Granted a little earlier than planned due to having to have both hip joints replaced but I was prepared and was in a position to provide 100% financing to the new owner under attractive terms. In the meantime I have been asked to come back and help out at the terminal numerous times but I don't need the money . However once these new hip joints are given the surgeon's seal of approval and they ask me again I won't have an excuse to turn them down of if some other opportunity comes along that looks attractive I'll check it out. In the meantime I'll continue to make improvements to my Civil War Era farmhouse and surrounding acreage and enjoy the company and advice offered by the retired civil engineers who live nearby. One whose son in law in a United States Congressman.

Oldfart

Wrong Sold the route and retired nearly 2 years ago. Granted a little earlier than planned due to having to have both hip joints replaced but I was prepared and was in a position to provide 100% financing to the new owner under attractive terms. In the meantime I have been asked to come back and help out at the terminal numerous times but I don't need the money . However once these new hip joints are given the surgeon's seal of approval and they ask me again I won't have an excuse to turn them down of if some other opportunity comes along that looks attractive I'll check it out. In the meantime I'll continue to make improvements to my Civil War Era farmhouse and surrounding acreage and enjoy the company and advice offered by the retired civil engineers who live nearby. One whose son in law in a United States Congressman.
If you are retired why do begrudge anyone else who is able to retire? Do you think I give a darn if anyone at Fedex remembers me when I call it quits? Why bother worrying about something like that? We have had a rash of retirements lately and other than a small gathering when they go, I don't give them a second thought and I expect the same treatment when I go.

bacha29

If you are retired why do begrudge anyone else who is able to retire? Do you think I give a darn if anyone at Fedex remembers me when I call it quits? Why bother worrying about something like that? We have had a rash of retirements lately and other than a small gathering when they go, I don't give them a second thought and I expect the same treatment when I go.
They why do you always try to call attention to your portfolio as if it is something that is deserving of a special commendation or you expect others to be envious? Well you might get it from somebody in someplace other than here because as has as been clearly demonstrated the next generation of X employees or Ground contractors and those who work for them are obviously going to have it a lot tougher. Furthermore as you may seen X badly missed it's third quarter EPS numbers by a wide margin and impacted the stock and the transports while not the sole indicator of a weakening economy are undeniably a leading indicator of future economic strength. Seriously if you are physically able it might be a good idea to work a little longer just to see if all the projections of a strong and sustained domestic economy are not what Greenspan referred to as 'irrational exuberance".

Oldfart

Stock down $.43 then back up $3.96 after hours. No idea what the rest of your ramble meant.

Impacted the stock? As usual, you are totally clueless when it comes to business.