Grounds for filing a grievance

ThePistol

At the end of my day yesterday I got a message from my on car saying I needed to report to their office as soon as I got back to the hub. When I got there my on car, center manager and union steward were there and my center manager is blaming me for breaking the locking mechanism on a business's dock door with my truck. First of all the lock for the dock door is on the inside of the door and when I got there to do the pick up the Door lock was broken...they charged me with an avoidable crash when there is no video evidence that I actually did break it...there was no damage to the dock door or the PC...they told me this morning I had the day off (unpaid)... Is this something I should grieve to get off my record and also get back pay for the day off?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hindsight is 20/20 but you should have sent a message letting them know the lock was broken.

It sounds like someone from that stop called in a concern.

File your grievance and, if possible, get a written statement from the receiver stating that the lock was already broken. Also file for the lost pay.

Inthegame

Hindsight is 20/20 but you should have sent a message letting them know the lock was broken.

File your grievance and, if possible, get a written statement from the receiver stating that the lock was already broken. Also file for the lost pay.
So the customer calls in a complaint that our guy broke the lock and you suggest he get a statement from the customer that the lock was already broken?
Hmmm... where's the logic Mr Spock?

ThePistol

Now another can of worms will be opened I bet...my buddy who covered the route today was instructed by the on car to take photos at the place where this happened...the dock is blue and it is scrapped up and there is the tiniest bit of blue paint on the vertical part of the bumper... do they now have the means to fire me for lying and not reporting an accident when I honestly didn't know that this happened until now? I know it's only a tier 1 I'm really :censored2:in worried because I just gained seniority a month ago after driving seasonal for the last year

clean hairy

You would be best off to contact your Union Hall first thing Monday morning.
They will have the best answers for you on this.
Maybe burn an option day or call in having to take care of personal business (if you do not have an attendance problem) where you have no time constraints. Maybe even just go out to the union hall to meet with the union rep in person.

ThePistol

You would be best off to contact your Union hall first thing Monday morning.
They will have the best answers for you on this.
Maybe burn an option day or call in having to take care of personal business (if you do not have an attendance problem) where you have no time constraints. Maybe even just go out to the union hall to meet with the union rep in person.

I contacted him earlier today about the grievance thing and we are going to talk over the phone on Sunday...he is unaware of the new stuff that just came up

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Sounds like a supervisor called it in, not the receiver.

And how do you come to that conclusion?

The receiver, or a co-worker, could have (and probably did) break the lock and hung it on the UPS driver. How many docks have you backed on to where the lock/handle was anywhere near a surface on your truck?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Now another can of worms will be opened I bet...my buddy who covered the route today was instructed by the on car to take photos at the place where this happened...the dock is blue and it is scrapped up and there is the tiniest bit of blue paint on the vertical part of the bumper... do they now have the means to fire me for lying and not reporting an accident when I honestly didn't know that this happened until now? I know it's only a tier 1 I'm really :censored2:in worried because I just gained seniority a month ago after driving seasonal for the last year

Management asked an hourly to take pictures to determine your guilt/innocence?

Un-freaking-believable. If those pictures ever surface, grieve immediately.

ThePistol

Management asked an hourly to take pictures to determine your guilt/innocence?

Un-freaking-believable. If those pictures ever surface, grieve immediately.

I was thinking the same exact thing, make another driver take pictures and do managements dirty work is a crock of :censored2:! If they did surface I'd definitely grieve it

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy

Wtf!!!? So if I deliver to a house and the gutter is broken I should notify management? You're as dumb as a sack of mouse crap

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I would not use my personal phone to rat out a coworker.