Gun control advocates in Ferguson MO

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Dash cams .
The chief of police stated that only two cars have them , but his budget will not pay for any other to be installed .

bbsam

Staff member
And that may very well be the case. We don't know at this point. There are any number of plausible scenarios and various levels of criminal culpability on the part of the officer. The biggest problem I have with this whole situation is the immediate and automatic assumption that the officer was motivated by racism to commit murder simply because he is white. That assumption is racist in and of itself, and does nothing but create a spiral of increasing racism, looting, rioting etc. People need to calm down, open their minds and let the facts be determined in a fair and transparent manner.
I don't doubt there is a racial component to this case but individuals have to decide how much weight to give it. Personally, I see bigger concerns

MAKAVELI

This article might shed some light on the racial divide in Ferguson and the distrust between its African American population and the police.
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/119070/michael-browns-death-leads-scrutiny-ferguson-white-police

Ferguson’s population is 67 percent black, but African Americans make up just 5.6 percent of the police force. Consider this number in the context of St. Louis’ deeply segregationist and discriminatory history—today, the city is still the sixth-most segregated in the country.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
This article might shed some light on the racial divide in Ferguson and the distrust between its African American population and the police.
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/119070/michael-browns-death-leads-scrutiny-ferguson-white-police

Ferguson’s population is 67 percent black, but African Americans make up just 5.6 percent of the police force. Consider this number in the context of St. Louis’ deeply segregationist and discriminatory history—today, the city is still the sixth-most segregated in the country.
There is definitely a racial divide in that city. Out of 53 officers only 3 are black. Blacks account for 86 percent of traffic stops and 92 percent of arrests. And there's no denying they have had issues with police brutality in the past:
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ferguson-police-2009-assaulted-black-man

But if the shooter was one of their 3 black officers, he would still be walking free right now. The officer hasn't been charged because he is a cop, not because he is white. Now if the witnesses to the shooting were white, that's a different rabbit hole. I'm not even gonna go down that one.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
If Martin Luther King JR was still alive today, he would punch Al Sharpton in the mouth.
MLK was non violent, he'd stage a Sit in at MSNBC (meant to be funny. my sense of humor dosent always translate well)

I think MLK was a great man,and I get sick and tired of seeing his name and words prostituted by his children and self appointed "leaders"

Mack Grant

If what I hear is now correct ; that the police officer had an issue with people walking in the middle of the road.
But those same people had just committed an armed robbery .
It would seem that the suspects had more knowledge and fear when the police officer stopped them .
An attack on the officer would by their motives be seen as a defense move , while the officer would only see it as an attack upon himself .
The use of deadly force would be a natural reaction .
Every eye witness account states that the criminal went after the officers gun and a shot was fired while they were struggling over it. Case closed in my book, they should give the officer a medal and a promotion. Let those idiots burn down, and destroy their own neighborhood and don't bother rebuilding it for them. I suggest everyone watch some of the on the street interviews floating on YT to get a clear picture of the ignorance and complete hypocrisy of the "rioters"

Mack Grant

If he was injured and blinded by blood then his thinking may very well have been impaired. It is a documented medical fact that adrenaline interferes with decision-making, judgement and motor skills. Guilty of panic? Yes. Murder? Maybe not.
Definitely not. Attack a police officer and meet a quick demise as far as I'm concerned. Officer of the Law vs proven criminal (per store footage) I side with law enforcement.

oldngray

nowhere special
It is a felony to assault a police officer. If Brown started the altercation by attacking the cop then that changes the dynamics of a situation. I had to be a witness of a thief who attacked a cop and resisted arrest. 2 other cops showed up and they gang tackled him. The cops did nothing wrong but they covered all bases to prove force was justified. They didn't shoot the suspect but they did beat on him until he stopped resisting. But there were 3 cops there instead of only 1 cop facing a suspect twice his own size so a different situation.

bbsam

Staff member
It is a felony to assault a police officer. If Brown started the altercation by attacking the cop then that changes the dynamics of a situation. I had to be a witness of a thief who attacked a cop and resisted arrest. 2 other cops showed up and they gang tackled him. The cops did nothing wrong but they covered all bases to prove force was justified. They didn't shoot the suspect but they did beat on him until he stopped resisting. But there were 3 cops there instead of only 1 cop facing a suspect twice his own size so a different situation.
Assaulting an officer is a felony but doesn't carry the death penalty if convicted.

bbsam

Staff member
Yes but it does raise the bar for appropriate response.
shot and killed after the assault ended wipes away any thought of this being an "appropriate response". Adrenaline, fear, rage -- none of those are an adequate excuse, especially for an officer.

moreluck

golden ticket member
BvLsADxCcAACfZY.jpg

90f034432122f61df63e471932fdfc62_normal.jpeg
zellie @zellieimani
Follow
Jesse Jackson getting booed off for asking for donations for church. #Ferguson
12:13 PM - 16 Aug 2014

moreluck

golden ticket member
Protesters, upset with Gov. Nixon’s curfew in Ferguson, said they would be marching into Dellwood, once the curfew hit.

FERGUSON, Mo. (KMOV staff) – Protesters say they will be marching peacefully from the QuikTrip on West Florissant into Dellwood before the Ferguson curfew goes into effect at midnight.

The group “Missouri Organization for Reform and Empowerment” says they are trying to rally demonstrators to be at the burned down gas station around 11:00 p.m. Many of them say Governor Nixon has infringed on their rights to peacefully assemble.

Many other protesters say they will not respect the curfew put into effect by Governor Nixon and plan on staying out past midnight.

oldngray

nowhere special
Sharpton flapping his yap again

Al Sharpton: Authorities in Ferguson 'smeared' Michael Brown by releasing video of him allegedly robbing convenience store