Happy Labor Day: Love Fred

Ricochet1a

Express was the first experience I had in that an employer could deny holiday pay for calling in sick the day before or after the holiday. I understand the reason for the policy, it just could never find any rationale that would stand legal muster that would allow them to do so.

From memory, they also can deny holiday pay if an employee is late either the day before or day after a holiday. Again, I could never find any justification that would stand legal scrutiny for this policy.

Just more reason for you guys to organize...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Express was the first experience I had in that an employer could deny holiday pay for calling in sick the day before or after the holiday. I understand the reason for the policy, it just could never find any rationale that would stand legal muster that would allow them to do so.

From memory, they also can deny holiday pay if an employee is late either the day before or day after a holiday. Again, I could never find any justification that would stand legal scrutiny for this policy.

Just more reason for you guys to organize...

...organizing wouldn't help in this situation as we have the same rules.

I am on vacation this week. I like to take my vacations with holidays built in as we get 8 hours holiday pay added to our checks. We also get our vacation checks two weeks before the Friday of the week in question so I could have banged in on the Friday before as I had already been paid for the holiday; however, they could have played hard-ass and tried to get the holiday pay back if I was unable to produce a doctor's note for the "sick" day.

Now, if I had scheduled the Friday off ahead of time and it was approved, I would then be paid for the holiday.

They don't dock holiday pay for being late.