Hardship Transfers?

elo

Trying to figure out where they hid the body.
A few weeks ago my spouse was given news that we could cut our income in half or move 7 hours away to another facility. I've been a ft sup for right at a year & I can't justify leaving the company entirely at this point for my family to make the move. I also can't stay in our current location while one of is 7 hours away with the kids. Has anyone had a successful hardship transfer go through? There are only 3 small package centers in the area we would be looking at relocating to & there is nothing on MCO nearby at the moment. We have until April to figure this out.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
A few weeks ago my spouse was given news that we could cut our income in half or move 7 hours away to another facility. I've been a ft sup for right at a year & I can't justify leaving the company entirely at this point for my family to make the move. I also can't stay in our current location while one of is 7 hours away with the kids. Has anyone had a successful hardship transfer go through? There are only 3 small package centers in the area we would be looking at relocating to & there is nothing on MCO nearby at the moment. We have until April to figure this out.

Yes you can apply for a hard ship transfer, remember that does not mean they will grant it. Start with finding out what centers are in the area you want to move too. Good luck.

DieHardUPSER

It is called a trailing spouse hardship transfer and you can fill out the form electronically on UPSers. You will need a letter from the employer. The sooner you get it done the better.

RedNeckDrop

Hi, this is my first post! Figured sharing this was worth registering for.

I transfered across the country because of similar circumstances. I was a FT sup. No positions existed in my new, rural location when it came time to move, so I accepted a 'temporary demotion from full time to part time' (there is a form for thisl until a position opened up in the near future. I tried to continue as FT away from family, but after 2 days decided it wouldn't work and called the division manager.

It CAN happen. My advice is this:

Make EVERYONE aware of your situation. Your center manager, DM, HR, and any higher-ups you know.

Don't rely on HR. They didn't do jack crap for me. Call every local center. Talk to the CMs and DM. When visiting new town, physically go to the centers and talk to them and make yourself seem beneficial to the center.

Get forms into HR ASAP so they don't delay you. It WILL come down to the wire. If you don't have a letter from spouse's employer yet, submit it without it and re-submit when you get it. Copy your center manager and DMS when you email, and follow up with HR to see if it was approved WEEKLY or more. Include center manager and DM when you follow up.

Maybe watch the job postings too? But that's a long shot.

Any more questions about it? I'm happy to help.

Send a message (if this site allows it) if I dont reply here.

Good luck!

elo

Trying to figure out where they hid the body.
Thanks for sharing your experience. HR was in the building Thursday & I started asking questions. She looked at me like I had 2 heads. I have a copy of his transfer paperwork & have started the process. This whole thing scares me, I know every district does things differently as far as operations go. It's an overwhelming transition.

Hi, this is my first post! Figured sharing this was worth registering for.

I transfered across the country because of similar circumstances. I was a FT sup. No positions existed in my new, rural location when it came time to move, so I accepted a 'temporary demotion from full time to part time' (there is a form for thisl until a position opened up in the near future. I tried to continue as FT away from family, but after 2 days decided it wouldn't work and called the division manager.

It CAN happen. My advice is this:

Make EVERYONE aware of your situation. Your center manager, DM, HR, and any higher-ups you know.

Don't rely on HR. They didn't do jack crap for me. Call every local center. Talk to the CMs and DM. When visiting new town, physically go to the centers and talk to them and make yourself seem beneficial to the center.

Get forms into HR ASAP so they don't delay you. It WILL come down to the wire. If you don't have a letter from spouse's employer yet, submit it without it and re-submit when you get it. Copy your center manager and DMS when you email, and follow up with HR to see if it was approved WEEKLY or more. Include center manager and DM when you follow up.

Maybe watch the job postings too? But that's a long shot.

Any more questions about it? I'm happy to help.

Send a message (if this site allows it) if I dont reply here.

Good luck!

RedNeckDrop

Just stay on them, but when it comes down to it, HR just needs to get it approved (by your current upper management. If you are a slacker they might not approve, but I've only heard of 1 ever get denied).

Finding a new position will be on YOU, HR won't do anything there. You can use ETT to lookup nearby centers in a distant location then email to lookup the CMs.

did anyone answer this? My HR said hardship is not an option. I am full time driver in CA. My children and their mother moved to WI and now my son is having problems ( hes 4) and showing signs of autism. Its become very hard on his mother and she needs my help. I would do anything to transfer to WI/MN area to be with my children. even go back to part time which they said isnt possible

Dragon

Package Center Manager
did anyone answer this? My HR said hardship is not an option. I am full time driver in CA. My children and their mother moved to WI and now my son is having problems ( hes 4) and showing signs of autism. Its become very hard on his mother and she needs my help. I would do anything to transfer to WI/MN area to be with my children. even go back to part time which they said isnt possible

We are speaking of management. You would have to quit and get re-hired in new location.

I hope everything works out for you.

clerkin

so Loose all vacation and pay etc ?

Yes, your seniority would reset. I believe the only actual transfers for drivers would have to be within
the same local.

In my understanding transfers can’t happen if you’re a full time hourly, I believe it only applies to part time hourly and you can only keep seniority if it’s an educational transfer. Correct me if I’m wrong

Gman33909

In my understanding transfers can’t happen if you’re a full time hourly, I believe it only applies to part time hourly and you can only keep seniority if it’s an educational transfer. Correct me if I’m wrong
I can only speak of hourly employees, the only way to transfer is through an educational transfer, if you get it you lose your seniority, but keep your pay rate

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This is the management forum.
You would do better in UPS Discussions or Union Issues.