Has anyone noticed stewards becoming weak all of a sudden?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Maybe you missed the part that earnings fell 49%
Maybe you missed the part were small package volume is only down 4% from last year. UPS is losing money in their cartage area, meaning all the newer freight companies that were purchased are dragging down our profits.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In our center the stewards try to file as many grievnaces that are necessary. I am very good friends with both the stewards and the alternates, and business agent for that matter and although I don't always agree with them they do what they feel is best for the driver. Or they appear to anyways.
This sounds like a particular center issue you are having...

You are lucky to be represented well. Here in Local 25 it is the opposite. It has only gotten worse since Ritchie Reardon moved out and I think that speaks for itself.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
IF the 9.5 language is not something that the company intended to honor, then why did they include it in the contract?

I totally understand why drivers wanted it. At least sups have one or two days a week they get to go to the house early. And give me a break on the "well I start my day at 6AM" stuff. I would bet that most drivers here would gladly work a 10 hour day if you started us at 6AM instead of 9. I know I would have.

As for stewards losing their stones, it would appear that there are many more drivers that have lost theirs by many of the threads and from personal experience. That is until they get into deep water, at which time they do come running.

Just my personal observations.

d

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
what a glorious thing to be able to work for a thriving company and discuss ways to have your union reps more aggressively attack your company while so many others are out of work. :happy-very:
i know poor UPS and its 800 million dollar profit. think of the starving share holders!<---- sarcasm laid pretty hard

brownhorn

Like I said I think its great you still have a few thriving companies out there to practice your "steward stuff" on.

I wonder if the guys in the bread lines worry about manipulating contract language.

Nothing to manipulate really...the language in Article 37 is pretty clear. I don't even have to dip into my stewards' bag of tricks on that one! I'm not just some guy in a soup line that UPS so magnificently saved from my misery. I love the job, I just don't feel like doing it 11 hours a night if I don't have to. And guess what? I don't!

tieguy

Banned
No doubt about that, but realistically the board would have to be engaged in borderline or outright criminal behavior to create the type of impetus needed for a shareholder lawsuit, ie, lining their own pockets while the company goes broke or something along those lines.

ups has had their share of shareholder lawsuits over the years. Far as I know the BOD has not been convicted of any criminal behavior.

tieguy

Banned
And maybe you missed the part that they over projected their earnings. Therefore claiming a profit to be a loss.

you need to learn how to read an earnings report if you're going to quote earnings to us. the 49 percent loss is quarter to quarter compared to last year.
Net income was 449 million not 800 million. When you look at the size of this company that profit equates to pennies on the dollar. Not a very good return.

Keep in mind the market was tanking in the same quarter last year so a 49 percent loss is pretty significant.

Maybe you guys should think about how fortunate you are to have a job and stop worrying about how you can squeeze more gold from the goose.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tie

Net income was 449 million not 800 million. When you look at the size of this company that profit equates to pennies on the dollar. Not a very good return.
Very true, not great returns. But it was on the positive side of the returns listed. And for our business sector, that was a really good accomplishment.
Maybe you guys should think about how fortunate you are to have a job and stop worrying about how you can squeeze more gold from the goose

Maybe the keepers of the golden goose should quit making bargains when they dont intend to keep them. Or said another way, since you agreed to cut the paid day, come on, do the right thing and cut the paid day. We are not asking for more money, just asking for you to keep your promises.

Since I happen to live in one of the worst states when it comes to unemployment, yes, drivers here are fortunate. And very fortunate to have a great paying one at that. But please dont give us that as an excuse to not honor your contract with us.

Best

d

705red

Browncafe Steward
you need to learn how to read an earnings report if you're going to quote earnings to us. the 49 percent loss is quarter to quarter compared to last year.

Keep in mind the market was tanking in the same quarter last year so a 49 percent loss is pretty significant.

Maybe you guys should think about how fortunate you are to have a job and stop worrying about how you can squeeze more gold from the goose.
Tie you forgot to mention that raise that we are getting next week! Would you like me to make a copy of my check so you could see what a raise looks like?

deathracer

i know some of you wont agree and might get mad but i have to say it.
i believe that the stewards and managment work stuff out, from what i have seen instead of filing a grievance i have seen stewards talk to management and work out more hours or a better position for them self's or whoever saw management doing union work. a friend of mine told me his union steward was not gonna file a grievance for seen a part time sup work instead steward goes missing then full time sup shows up and tells my friend he is going to clock him in for an extra hour of work and he was gonna talk to the other sup.
another incident where a guy we know told us that he go bumped out of being a scanner in his area, and got sent to unload(not sure though). the part time sup told him since they did not want the steward(laid off air driver) walking around that they were gonna give him his position.
i think the last thing that stewards want to do is give management an excuse to lay them off instead of us, and by making management think they have stewards working for them then they are the last ppl they would want to lay off. sorry for the long read.

tieguy

Banned
Tie you forgot to mention that raise that we are getting next week! Would you like me to make a copy of my check so you could see what a raise looks like?

See if you can find me a picture of your BA's gonads instead. Rumor has he lost them when it came time to deliver on all his strike threats.

705red

Browncafe Steward
See if you can find me a picture of your BA's gonads instead. Rumor has he lost them when it came time to deliver on all his strike threats.
Really? You mean the same BA that negotiated the new language that any "laid off" employee remains at the current pay rate? Even our displaced laid off employees will get a raise next week! HAHAHAH lamo hahahaha

Dont forget to donate to the United Way tie, after all you are lucky to still have a job! Right? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

browniehound

what a glorious thing to be able to work for a thriving company and discuss ways to have your union reps more aggressively attack your company while so many others are out of work. :happy-very:

I have to agree with this. Now is not the time to be grieving over 9.5. At least I wouldn't. In an economy that many people can't find 4 hours of work/day I am not going to complain about being given 10 hours/day.

This is the great thing about UPS. Times were very difficult for many people in the last 2 years. For me, however, things didn't change. I worked everyday and got a raise every 6 months. I actually worked more hours due to route cutbacks.

So my point is I can't complain about UPS because they kept me in the "cat bird" seat when many others are struggling.

This is my opinion, at least
Browniehound

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I have to agree with this. Now is not the time to be grieving over 9.5. At least I wouldn't. In an economy that many people can't find 4 hours of work/day I am not going to complain about being given 10 hours/day.

This is the great thing about UPS. Times were very difficult for many people in the last 2 years. For me, however, things didn't change. I worked everyday and got a raise every 6 months. I actually worked more hours due to route cutbacks.

So my point is I can't complain about UPS because they kept me in the "cat bird" seat when many others are struggling.

Browniehound

Translation: Selfish, I wannabe a FedEx, all you can eat, nonunion, subcontractor truck owner. It's all about me and my catbird seat.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Browniehound

Where is your sense of collectivism and Brotherhood ... you must think you are an individual. You are not, you are part of a hive of borg ... you will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
As 705Red has stated repeatedly, as we all witness daily, the small package portion of the operation is not struggling. Wake up and spit out the brown Kool-Aid.