Has anyone noticed stewards becoming weak all of a sudden?

brownhorn

what a glorious thing to be able to work for a thriving company and discuss ways to have your union reps more aggressively attack your company while so many others are out of work. :happy-very:

You call it "attacking the company," I call it "enforcing the contract." You know, steward stuff...

M

Mike23

I think it's called poor management? Our president I believe makes 4.5 mil a year or something like that. You're telling me he can't take a 1 million dollar pay cut and hire 10 drivers back? What's the vice president make? 3.5 million? Same deal!

I really think the union should step up and tell them to cut head hanchos salaries before cutting drivers. It's common sense, but then again, the world's greedy.

Big Babooba

Take a peek in your center manager's desk drawers and file cabinets. If you find a pair of these, chances are that your steward has lost his "Boys".

LargeView_105105.gif

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think it's called poor management? Our president I believe makes 4.5 mil a year or something like that. You're telling me he can't take a 1 million dollar pay cut and hire 10 drivers back? What's the vice president make? 3.5 million? Same deal!

I really think the union should step up and tell them to cut head hanchos salaries before cutting drivers. It's common sense, but then again, the world's greedy.

Obama makes - $400,000 per year
Biden makes - $208,100 per year

tieguy

Banned
If more drivers would file 9.5s we would have more drivers working.

Look I'm sorry that you sups did not get your raises. I'm sorry that the company you bleed for lied to you and said that they might have to close the doors because of low volume. And I'm sorry that you have to jump in every thread just to slay the union.

And I'm sorry that you're sorry.

tieguy

Banned
You call it "attacking the company," I call it "enforcing the contract." You know, steward stuff...

Like I said I think its great you still have a few thriving companies out there to practice your "steward stuff" on.

I wonder if the guys in the bread lines worry about manipulating contract language.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Like I said I think its great you still have a few thriving companies out there to practice your "steward stuff" on.

I wonder if the guys in the bread lines worry about manipulating contract language.
I wonder if the guys in the bread lines are working for a company that posted a $895 million profit last quarter while telling everyone how tough things are.

NHDRVR

In our center the stewards try to file as many grievnaces that are necessary. I am very good friends with both the stewards and the alternates, and business agent for that matter and although I don't always agree with them they do what they feel is best for the driver. Or they appear to anyways.
This sounds like a particular center issue you are having...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I wonder if the guys in the bread lines are working for a company that posted a $895 million profit last quarter while telling everyone how tough things are.

Unfortunately (I guess ), the company does not exist for the benefit of it's employees (hourly or salaried). The company exists for the benefit of UPS shareowners.
If the management of the company does not respond to the needs of the shareowners via the Board of Directors, they should and will be replaced.
When UPS was private and employees owned the company, the shareowners were understanding.
That is no longer the case.
Welcome to working for a publicly owned company.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Unfortunately (I guess ), the company does not exist for the benefit of it's employees (hourly or salaried). The company exists for the benefit of UPS shareowners.
If the management of the company does not respond to the needs of the shareowners via the Board of Directors, they should and will be replaced.
When UPS was private and employees owned the company, the shareowners were understanding.
That is no longer the case.
Welcome to working for a publicly owned company.
My understanding is that the shares available to the public are nonvoting shares, and that in any case UPS retains a majority holding. So at least in this case the shareholders don't really have a say in who runs the company. Decisions at the executive level are still made pretty much the same way as when we were private, albeit now they do have to deal with analyst expectations and market fluctuations. But it's not like there is going to be a shareholder meeting where the company president is voted out.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My understanding is that the shares available to the public are nonvoting shares, and that in any case UPS retains a majority holding. So at least in this case the shareholders don't really have a say in who runs the company. Decisions at the executive level are still made pretty much the same way as when we were private, albeit now they do have to deal with analyst expectations and market fluctuations. But it's not like there is going to be a shareholder meeting where the company president is voted out.

The BOD has a fiduciary responsibility to ensure the company is managed to provide "greatest" return on investment to shareholders (regardless of voting rights).
Check Google for various civil lawsuits along this line.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The BOD has a fiduciary responsibility to ensure the company is managed to provide "greatest" return on investment to shareholders (regardless of voting rights).
Check Google for various civil lawsuits along this line.
No doubt about that, but realistically the board would have to be engaged in borderline or outright criminal behavior to create the type of impetus needed for a shareholder lawsuit, ie, lining their own pockets while the company goes broke or something along those lines.