Has the Teamsters sold you out?

Bill

The Teamsters have been selling us out for years. Here are just a few examples.

1. Fact. In 1985, part time employees were earning $14-15 per hour. Twenty years later, 2007, part timers are now earning $8-9 per hour. Does this make any sense that 22 years later, the cost of living has gone way up, but the salaries have dropped. The Teamsters negotiated these concessions to UPS.
2. Fact. The Teamsters allowed UPS to make senior drivers wait up to 4 years to receive top pay. Over 25 years ago, it took just 6 months.
3. Fact. The Teamsters have cut our pension and medical benefits severely recently. Ups contributes over 1.3 billion dollars a year (pension money only), enough to fully fund both, but we receive only 40% of it. (This is for employees in Central States.)

Any body else have examples of how they were sold out by the Teamsters?

krash

Go big orange

1. Fact. In 1985, part time employees were earning $14-15 per hour. Twenty years later, 2007, part timers are now earning $8-9 per hour. Does this make any sense that 22 years later, the cost of living has gone way up, but the salaries have dropped. The Teamsters negotiated these concessions to UPS.
2. Fact. The Teamsters allowed UPS to make senior drivers wait up to 4 years to receive top pay. Over 25 years ago, it took just 6 months.
3. Fact. The Teamsters have cut our pension and medical benefits severely recently. Ups contributes over 1.3 billion dollars a year (pension money only), enough to fully fund both, but we receive only 40% of it. (This is for employees in Central States.)

Any body else have examples of how they were sold out by the Teamsters?
1) FTers were swayed by UPS to cut the future PTers throat with the promise of bigger raises. No one forced you to vote yes. Try a no vote next time.
2) 4 years?? Lets just make up examples. It's two 1/2 years. Again, vote no. You can't get anyone to vote No in the entire existence of UPS and that won't change with APWA.
3) Ya miss represented 1 & 2 so why should we believe 3??

Bill

1) FTers were swayed by UPS to cut the future PTers throat with the promise of bigger raises. No one forced you to vote yes. Try a no vote next time.
2) 4 years?? Lets just make up examples. It's two 1/2 years. Again, vote no. You can't get anyone to vote No in the entire existence of UPS and that won't change with APWA.
3) Ya miss represented 1 & 2 so why should we believe 3??
It is the Teamsters that sold the part timers out, not the full timers. They are the ones that negotiated the contract, not the workers. Maybe in the conference you fall under, the wait is two and a half years, but where I am from in CS, the wait is four years.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
It is the Teamsters that sold the part timers out, not the full timers. They are the ones that negotiated the contract, not the workers. Maybe in the conference you fall under, the wait is two and a half years, but where I am from in CS, the wait is four years.
Just like the tv show that once was "Truth or consequences" The truth hurts and the consequences are for a lifetime !

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Im in Central States, progression was 30 months for me. I've never heard of a 4 year wait to top pay. If I had to wait that long, I would've just bid a 22.3 job. Come to think of it, that probably would've been the smarter move anyway.

over9five

Staff member
"It is the Teamsters that sold the part timers out,"

It was the part-timers who cut their own throats by never going to union meetings. Their non-participation in their union led to them being forgotten.

By their pure numbers, part-timers could RUN this union if they weren't so apathetic.

krash

Go big orange
WE vote on the contract. So the decision ultimately ride with us. Why do you think UPS always pressuring the Union to present us with there "last and final" offer?? Because they no it will pass regardless what they offer.

705red

Browncafe Steward
E79 you say the teamsters sold out the ptimer, what do you call the contract in 02? They went up $6 an hour they received prescription cards, they received more fulltime opportunity. If you call this selling out, your misguided.

krash

Go big orange
Hes apwa all of their math is a little fuzzy!
:lol::lol:That's funny right there I don't care who you are/
It was two years for me. But the current contract says 30 months.
I believe it was 87, our local said to vote "NO" on the contract. Guess what, didn't matter. Overwhelmingly passed. UPS know nothing will get voted down. Thats the unions fault?? Like the contract before(97), they would have PCM's telling the drivers to contact the Union and tell them we wanna vote on there "last and final" offer. Because it will pass. But then you complain either way. It amazes me when somebody acts surprised about a contract change that they voted on. Maybe they should try reading the changes that come with there ballot before voting.

mittam

Whats this 4 year wait for fulltime top pay all about? My contract reads 30 months.

Mine was 2 years also, but after getting to full pay I said something to a senior driver and his reply was I am lucky it took him 4 years. So it must have changed along the lines. Now we have people saying wow we have to go 2 1/2 years instead of 2. I do know different riders for different areas also applies.

Bill

E79 you say the teamsters sold out the ptimer, what do you call the contract in 02? They went up $6 an hour they received prescription cards, they received more fulltime opportunity. If you call this selling out, your misguided.
If they went up $6 per hour, were they earning only $2 an hour before? Now they start at $8 per hour. They were earning $14 per hour back in 1985. They no longer can earn this amount unless they started before 1985. As the cost of living has risen since 1985 alot, the pay has decreased. What do you call this?

71chevy

You all can piss and moan back and forth about all these numbers, but the facts are that my medical insurance(deducibles, copays, prescriptions, etc) and my pension( every year for the last several, age for retirement is going up and amount of monthly pension I would receive is going down) are in the dumper. I don't know if the APWA is the answer or not, but at least they are offering some ideas. I have yet to hear any solutions from the mighty Teamsters on this matter. UPS is contributing a lot of money( and has been for a long time for me). I have been a Teamster for over 20 years, and I want whats best for us all, but when the majority of the money contributed for me goes to some retiree whose company has long ago closed up, I say stop the BS. I have to look out for me and my family. I have given too much to this company to have it all just be pissed away. Come on Teamsters, put up or shut up. Lets hear some concrete ideas.

705red

Browncafe Steward
If they went up $6 per hour, were they earning only $2 an hour before? Now they start at $8 per hour. They were earning $14 per hour back in 1985. They no longer can earn this amount unless they started before 1985. As the cost of living has risen since 1985 alot, the pay has decreased. What do you call this?
No 1 is disagreeing that the starting pay needs to go up, i think we all understand this. But who really screwed the ptimers and lowered that starting pay, who sold out the ptimers? You might say the teamsters, but it was the fulltimers that only cared about themselves. I will never forget where i came from and i look out for the ptimers every day. Also that $14 an hour was also the only rate at the time thats what inside, porters, drivers, feeders all started at, now wasnt it? So look real good in the mirror at yourself and blame it on you!

3brownstars

You all can piss and moan back and forth about all these numbers, but the facts are that my medical insurance(deducibles, copays, prescriptions, etc) and my pension( every year for the last several, age for retirement is going up and amount of monthly pension I would receive is going down) are in the dumper. I don't know if the APWA is the answer or not, but at least they are offering some ideas. I have yet to hear any solutions from the mighty Teamsters on this matter. UPS is contributing a lot of money( and has been for a long time for me). I have been a Teamster for over 20 years, and I want whats best for us all, but when the majority of the money contributed for me goes to some retiree whose company has long ago closed up, I say stop the BS. I have to look out for me and my family. I have given too much to this company to have it all just be pissed away. Come on Teamsters, put up or shut up. Lets hear some concrete ideas.

Well said my friend:thumbup1:

Channahon

No 1 is disagreeing that the starting pay needs to go up, i think we all understand this. But who really screwed the ptimers and lowered that starting pay, who sold out the ptimers? You might say the teamsters, but it was the fulltimers that only cared about themselves. I will never forget where i came from and i look out for the ptimers every day. Also that $14 an hour was also the only rate at the time thats what inside, porters, drivers, feeders all started at, now wasnt it? So look real good in the mirror at yourself and blame it on you!
Started 1978 - package car driver - $9.80 per hour
Off street hire, not sure what part timers were offered back then. Do remember when part timers were red lined with pay when the rate was negotiated to $8 an hour, back in the 80's

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Started 1978 - package car driver - $9.80 per hour
Off street hire, not sure what part timers were offered back then. Do remember when part timers were red lined with pay when the rate was negotiated to $8 an hour, back in the 80's

I was friends with a long-timer. My recollection of what he told me is the '82 contract started this pay issue and the '85 contract finished it. I could be wrong. Anyone out there? Regardless, the starting pay must go up in '08. If it doesn't, UPS, you're gonna get the same quality workers McDonalds and other fast-food restaurants get. They aren't bad workers per se but the dedication isn't there. Pay these young guys and gals a great wage and you'll get these 100+ people standing in line for one position. -Rocky

Fredless

APWA Hater
"It is the Teamsters that sold the part timers out,"

It was the part-timers who cut their own throats by never going to union meetings. Their non-participation in their union led to them being forgotten.

By their pure numbers, part-timers could RUN this union if they weren't so apathetic.

Agreed 100%. I am trying to change that in my building but i'm hitting walls. Most of these people just have the energy to gripe, but heaven forbid they miss out on saturday air work or get out of bed at 8:30am to make it to the union meetings at 9am on a Saturday. I went to my local's meeting 2 days ago on saturday, out of the 150+ or so there, maybe 30 of us were UPSers and I was the ONLY part timer to show up from the 6-7 centers & hubs our local represents.

tieguy

Banned

Not quite a fact. P/t starting wage back then was 8 dollars an hour to start. The unique feature of that contract was a 3 month progression up to 12 bucks an hour as a a result of the 1982 contract. That wage rate then because red circle and would not increase other then the standard yearly raises.

A part timer making 15 bucks an hour in 1985 would have to have had at least 6 to 7 years of yearly increases in addition to being red circle wage rate.

Todays part time wage rate starts at 8.50 an hour and 9 preload but increases each year. Therefore a blanket statement that thier wage rate is 8 to 9 is incorrect since the average p/t wage rate in any hub is probably closer to 12 to 13 dollars an hour.

If you then take the combo job which is supposed to combine two part time jobs then your part time wage rate would go up substantially.