Hazard pay petition

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
exactly. The market might have been different 10-15, even 2 years ago, however, Amazon and Ground are dictating that it isn't quite as lucrative as people want to believe. It's unskilled labor. People should feel more grateful rather than feeling entitled to similar pay as nurses, teachers, etc.
And yet FedEx has a hard time getting people much less keeping them. Express drivers may not be skilled but with the demands of the job, we deserve every penny we get. When you’ve missed many of your kids games, programs, Christmas seasons, etc., you’ll start feeling differently. Do we deserve to make as much as UPS, IMO, no, but we sure don’t deserve less than we make because we’re “unskilled”.

Last edited:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
In a world where more and more people rely on deliveries, whether that be to the business or the home, we should be asking for wages to increase, not decrease to ground levels, like you suggest.

The pay is market based, so why are Express, Purolator and UPS making much more than ground? It would seem the market isn't ground level pay.

Is Ground adequately staffed? If so, then the market is functioning just fine.

59 Dano

Didn't seem to be adequately staffed this past peak....

That was an issue of poor planning by Ground, not poor pay by contractors.

I don't know what's so hard to understand. Would you stick with a bad job if you had better alternatives? No. What makes you think that Ground guys would?

dezguy

That was an issue of poor planning by Ground, not poor pay by contractors.

I don't know what's so hard to understand. Would you stick with a bad job if you had better alternatives? No. What makes you think that Ground guys would?
Maybe they don't have the motivation to move? I don't know their reasons. I do know I know plenty of people who are just comfortable at a bad job or don't want the hassle of moving jobs.

Personally, I'm always on the look out for something better but for some I guess it's not as important as being comfortable with ones surroundings.

59 Dano

Maybe they don't have the motivation to move? I don't know their reasons. I do know I know plenty of people who are just comfortable at a bad job or don't want the hassle of moving jobs.

And it all comes around to them being content with the pay they're getting for the work they're doing.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
No. Hence, I don't work there. Yet other people ARE content with Ground wages and zero benefits, hence, they work there.

AMAZING.
And yet you advocate that their wages are fair. Ain't buying it.

If they're content with the crap wages Ground offers, then I'm afraid their aspirations are set way too low. Or they have a sugarmomma at home.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I say their wages are fair because they keep showing up to collect them instead of doing something else for a living that pays better.
I'll bet you've never even ASKED one solitary Ground driver if they thought if they were getting a fair (livable) wage.

You're claiming it's a fair wage because you said so?

Let's see...
1. Up to 12 hours a day.
2. Zero overtime.
3. No health insurance or if offered premiums are thru the roof.
4. One week's PAID vacation at best and in a lot cases non-existent.
5. Heavy lifting and maneuvering without assistance with stuff that should go to Freight.
6. No A/C all summer long.
7. Working on Sundays

Maybe you ought to try doing this for a month (doubtful you could handle it) then get back to us.

Last edited: