Heads up letter from the Union about possible strike

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Just curious did you feel the 97 strike was justified?

Honestly, I'm not sure.

In the Central, they were told it was all about the pension. Here, we were told it was all about part-timers.

I don't really see that either concerns were resolved. Luckily, I found something to do for the time we were off, and didn't lose much at all.

JL 0513

And it would have NOTHING to do with compensation

I understand there's other issues. Public wouldn't care about any of it knowing our compensation. Sucks working most other places too, and for a lot less.

So what are the main grievances that is stirring the strike talk?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Honestly, I'm not sure.

In the Central, they were told it was all about the pension. Here, we were told it was all about part-timers.

I don't really see that either concerns were resolved. Luckily, I found something to do for the time we were off, and didn't lose much at all.
I think the bigger issue now is neither the union or the company seem to understand why on earth anyone would be disgruntled.

All I even hear from the union officials is "but you guys make really good money"

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I understand there's other issues. Public wouldn't care about any of it knowing our compensation. Sucks working most other places too, and for a lot less.

Let's start with what you might want.

Brownslave688

I would say workload and overtime being forced on those that don't want it mostly from the ft side. Progression?

Now pt have a compensation argument and rightfully so.

Brownslave688

Honestly, I'm not sure.

Let's take away public opinion and competition for a second.

Do you feel one now would be more justified?

Brownslave688

If there are things stirring strike talk from union officials it's something ups has told them they won't budge on (think healthcare last contract) and the union feels it's worth digging our heels in over.

What could that be? No more pension payments? Tiered wage scale? Sub contracting?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Let's take away public opinion and competition for a second.

Do you feel one now would be more justified?

Remember, I've been out for four years now. Other than what I read here and the few older drivers I see on the street (my old center seems to have more newbies than the first day of kindergarten), I am not in touch with the complaints and politics. You have to remember, every area is different. Other than a few disgruntled part-timers, we were all pretty content here in 1997.

You have to keep in mind that even if you get everything you want, it will take time for everyone, company and employees alike, to recover from a strike. A bunch of people will be out of work for weeks and even months afterward. Customers are fickle.

Brownslave688

Any or all of the above.

Not to channel Dave, but I see tiered wages as the easiest to swallow for you guys already in.
Of course. I just wonder what the company thinks they can get out of this contract.

Last contract they said we are getting out of the healthcare game and there's nothing you can say to change our minds.

So why not use the same strategy this time with pensions or wages or subcontracting.

The union opened a Pandora's box last contract