Heads up letter from the Union about possible strike

Turdferguson

Just a turd
The thing is, twenty years later not many are left.

Unless they started close before the strike.
If the company wants a strike they will get one. I firmly believe they wanted one in 97. I can remember a meeting we had with the Division Manager where the offer was like a nickel raise. Here full time jobs were a big issue and wanting to keep the pension from being under company control (which in hindsight wouldn't have been a bad thing ). Our local told us it was a ploy to crush the Teamsters union and get them out of UPS

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Wouldn't it be interesting if drivers delivering boxes who are in America's top 12% of income earners were to strike. I don't think that would go over too well with the bottom 88%.
Top scale driver here with over time every week still is considered low income where I live...still don't get how the pay scale is basically the same nation wide...100k here is NOT the same as 100k anywhere else

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If the company wants a strike they will get one. I firmly believe they wanted one in 97. I can remember a meeting we had with the Division Manager where the offer was like a nickel raise. Here full time jobs were a big issue and wanting to keep the pension from being under company control (which in hindsight wouldn't have been a bad thing ). Our local told us it was a ploy to crush the Teamsters union and get them out of UPS

I think they may have wanted one in 1997, but I also think we called their bluff when we did go out.

As for the pension, yeah, that was a loss for you guys in that plan.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
UPS made a big deal about getting out of paying for healthcare last time, when what they actually wanted was to separate inside employees and pt'ers from the mgmt plans. It had to be disparaging to mgmt employees who were forced to pay for the exact same plan that they couldn't force hourly employees to subsidize.

The public at large hasn't really supported any strike in my memory. They sure didn't support us in 97. Whatever impact that has on striking or not will be of little consideration. A few local business owners even took time to drive to our center to shake their fist and cuss the picket line. That didn't end the impasse.

I will wager based on history, that whatever UPS says it wants or will not budge on is another Trojan horse for what they really are trying to achieve.

Ups has always been a tough job, physically, mentally, emotionally and yes drivers are paid well, but the company has become FAR more demanding of what it expects from everyone. This will be a much bigger factor in this contract than previously.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Walking into the building today and was greeted by my BA and a couple stewards with a paper handout. In short it basically says for full timers to start saving 5 dollars a day effective immediately so we will have that money in case of a strike.

I appreciate the advice and it's definitely a smart move, but it's starting to feel all to real and scares the :censored2: out of me. I went full time a month after last contract. Is this standard before every negotiation?

After the shenanigans that went on up at headquarters this week

Wouldn't worry a whole lot about a strike

JL 0513

If the strike is about overtime, working Saturday's, or even having to contribute to health plans, what foot do we have to stand on? Those aren't considered problems anywhere else.