Here Comes the Electric Fail

wilberforce15

So if a cyber truck gets in an accident it won’t have any damage? I don’t believe that’s how physics works. It sounds to me like many otherwise minor accidents will result in totaling the vehicle or crazy high repair costs.
The whole truck is made out of cold rolled steel. You can hit it with a sledgehammer and it doesn't dent, or live on the beach and the body doesn't rust.

If you dent it, odds are it doesn't affect ability to move because the power source and Motors are very low and protected.

If you hurt a cybertruck and total it, any other truck would've been totaled plus some.

It will be fine

The whole truck is made out of cold rolled steel. You can hit it with a sledgehammer and it doesn't dent, or live on the beach and the body doesn't rust.

If you dent it, odds are it doesn't affect ability to move because the power source and Motors are very low and protected.

If you hurt a cybertruck and total it, any other truck would've been totaled plus some.
Who cares about a sledgehammer? Vehicles have crumple zones so passengers don’t die. If the cyber truck doesn’t crumple on impact they will be killing people in crashes all the time. Other cars and pedestrians will be destroyed. If it does crumple like every other modern car you’ll have to total the thing over minor fender benders.

wilberforce15

Who cares about a sledgehammer? Vehicles have crumple zones so passengers don’t die. If the cyber truck doesn’t crumple on impact they will be killing people in crashes all the time. Other cars and pedestrians will be destroyed. If it does crumple like every other modern car you’ll have to total the thing over minor fender benders.
All Tesla's have perfect crash test ratings and that's a non negotiable for new designs to meet.

The top two destinations for the best engineering talent in the world are SpaceX and Tesla.

You should've learned after the rocket landed on its own butt that what you think is impossible simply hasn't been done yet.

It will be fine

All Tesla's have perfect crash test ratings and that's a non negotiable for new designs to meet.

The top two destinations for the best engineering talent in the world are SpaceX and Tesla.

You should've learned after the rocket landed on its own butt that what you think is impossible simply hasn't been done yet.
I understand your evangelical belief system. That doesn’t answer my question about repair of a solid one piece vehicle body.

wilberforce15

I understand your evangelical belief system. That doesn’t answer my question about repair of a solid one piece vehicle body.
There won't be repair of it. I already answered. It doesn't dent or rust, and if you damage it, it will still work. And if it doesn't, any other truck would've been totaled out anyway.

There are no circumstances where the unibody harms you or your budget. And it makes the truck stronger and cheaper.

It will be fine

There won't be repair of it. I already answered. It doesn't dent or rust, and if you damage it, it will still work. And if it doesn't, any other truck would've been totaled out anyway.

There are no circumstances where the unibody harms you or your budget. And it makes the truck stronger and cheaper.
I’m sure most owners won’t be ok driving around after backing into a pole and having a giant pole shaped dent in their back bumper.

wilberforce15

It is laughable to me how deeply you guys will reach to find some silly complaint about world changing technology.

You're going to live with it whether you like it or not.

It will be fine

It is laughable to me how deeply you guys will reach to find some silly complaint about world changing technology.

You're going to live with it whether you like it or not.
I like EVs. I expect them to be the future of vehicles. You take an antagonistic view with any questions and pretend like there aren’t any concerns with Tesla. It’s a religious devotion that is divorced from reality.

wilberforce15

I like EVs. I expect them to be the future of vehicles. You take an antagonistic view with any questions and pretend like there aren’t any concerns with Tesla. It’s a religious devotion that is divorced from reality.
I don't know the answer to the level of danger it could pose to other people. I've had that question myself, and it's a good one. I don't know.

All the other ones are stupid or ignorant.

wilberforce15

If it doesn’t crumple that makes it unsafe for passengers and other vehicles. Where are getting lost?
Tesla has a perfect crash test rating history, and a perfect rating is a requirement for any new vehicle.

Therefore, I know they expect this to get a perfect crash rating. How? I don't know. But I know it will. It is a condition for Tesla to build it at all. And they've dedicated a factory to building it.

Ergo, it will have a perfect rating

It will be fine

Tesla has a perfect crash test rating history, and a perfect rating is a requirement for any new vehicle.

Therefore, I know they expect this to get a perfect crash rating. How? I don't know. But I know it will. It is a condition for Tesla to build it at all. And they've dedicated a factory to building it.

Ergo, it will have a perfect rating
It can have a perfect rating and still end up having to be totaled in minor accidents. I was legitimately asking you if you knew how that is addressed with the one piece body.

wilberforce15

It can have a perfect rating and still end up having to be totaled in minor accidents. I was legitimately asking you if you knew how that is addressed with the one piece body.
A sledgehammer doesn't leave a dent. You won't be replacing anything for any kind of normal or mild accident.

Anything that makes a cybertruck need a body repair to function would total any other truck anyway. So it's irrelevant.

wilberforce15

I used to drive an old Bronco with a steel bumper.

A little old lady ran into the back of me at a stoplight at a decent speed and totaled her car. I couldn't even really identify the point of impact.

There will be a lot of things like that

bacha29

You self appointed engineers can argue all you want . All I know is what really matters. The money is going in the direction of EV's and Electric/Hydrogen Fuel Cell hybrids. My current vehicle is a 2018 ICE vehicle. I fully expect it to be the last ICE vehicle I'll own.