Here Comes the Electric Fail

wilberforce15

What they didn’t say is this: If all goes to plan the ground side of our company will be taking out 150-200 stops a day in diesel heavy duty trucks. Our express side will be so gutted in the next 15 years do to piss poor management it makes sense to use an electric fleet as we will only be delivering medicine and paper docs.
Most routes are under 100 miles and easily done by an electric, even under heavy load

wilberforce15

I’m surprised hybrid technology hasn’t played more of a role. Something with a combined 200hp but 700lb/ft of torque.
You get all the maintenance of both, and no real advantage. It's also not cost-effective to build or buy. The batteries have to be so big even to play a part of the role on a big truck that it's just an expensive, complicated piece of nonsense.

That's why large hybrids of big vehicles won't ever catch on.

bbsam

Staff member
You get all the maintenance of both, and no real advantage. It's also not cost-effective to build or buy. The batteries have to be so big even to play a part of the role on a big truck that it's just an expensive, complicated piece of nonsense.

That's why large hybrids of big vehicles won't ever catch on.
Maybe. I always thought it was because they tried too hard to make the hybrids perform like the non hybrid versions. Change the target to the utitarian side of hauling and ignore the horsepower numbers game and maybe it wouldn’t be a big deal.

On the maintenance side, my dads Prius only had regular car maintenance for the 200,000 miles he put on it. Never an issue with the battery. They had a really good run with those. Not sure why the all electrics have had such insane problems.

wilberforce15

Maybe. I always thought it was because they tried too hard to make the hybrids perform like the non hybrid versions. Change the target to the utitarian side of hauling and ignore the horsepower numbers game and maybe it wouldn’t be a big deal.

On the maintenance side, my dads Prius only had regular car maintenance for the 200,000 miles he put on it. Never an issue with the battery. They had a really good run with those. Not sure why the all electrics have had such insane problems.
Not maybe. If it were profitable to do, it would be done already. The battery has to scale up with the size of the vehicle, even in a hybrid, and the battery is insanely expensive. Scaling it up to a truck is not worthwhile if you are still building an entire combustion engine in there also. That's why it doesn't exist.

You have more systems, and thus you have more maintenance than you would with just the engine or just the battery. You have both, so you have more maintenance than either would have by themselves.

Electrics have not had insane problems. They're awesome at everything they're doing. The tech is naturally rolling up the size and scale ladder. UPS can't easily adapt because you almost have to start with a new facility designed for electric trucks. You can't charge 300 package cars overnight at a regular hub. You have to start with a building and grid designed for it.

bbsam

Staff member
Not maybe. If it were profitable to do, it would be done already. The battery has to scale up with the size of the vehicle, even in a hybrid, and the battery is insanely expensive. Scaling it up to a truck is not worthwhile if you are still building an entire combustion engine in there also. That's why it doesn't exist.

You have more systems, and thus you have more maintenance than you would with just the engine or just the battery. You have both, so you have more maintenance than either would have by themselves.

Electrics have not had insane problems. They're awesome at everything they're doing. The tech is naturally rolling up the size and scale ladder. UPS can't easily adapt because you almost have to start with a new facility designed for electric trucks. You can't charge 300 package cars overnight at a regular hub. You have to start with a building and grid designed for it.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m 100% onboard with electrics. But I don’t remember Prius’ bursting into flames or requiring $14k batteries to unlock a door.

wilberforce15

Don’t get me wrong. I’m 100% onboard with electrics. But I don’t remember Prius’ bursting into flames or requiring $14k batteries to unlock a door.
Electrics are a much lower fire risk than combustion engines, and freak occurrences get headlines.

Everybody loves a good EV fail story, so all of them become stories. They're safer and more reliable.

bacha29

A few weeks ago International brought it's newest model of road tractor and said that this will be the last one with a diesel in it.

Last night Rusty Braziel on Mad Money. The guy who has no peer when it comes to the petroleum industry said that by the end of the decade EV's would be a major competitor . He went on to say that the US in making more gasoline that it uses and exports excess to friendly third party nations along with the fact that OPEC at the time of the announcement of a 2 MBPD quota reduction it was already 1 MBPD below it's existing quota. Net is about 1 MBPD.