Here Comes the Electric Fail

McFeely

Huge Member
I would guess most of those range anxiety concerns will be moot by the time the full fleet has transitioned to EVs. They will need more of those giant diesel generators on standby for when the grid goes down in a storm. Might take a couple if they need to power the building and charge all the trucks.
Or solar panels on every station...but I doubt that would be enough to charge all the trucks in the event of a power failure.

Stat41

Look at how far we came technology-wise in the past 20 years and figure that we'll advance at an even faster pace over the next 20. Also figure that companies set these long-term goals all the time and everyone forgets about them by the halfway point.
I think this long term goals is the just facing the reality of the future. By that time most new vehicles will be electric anyway and Fedex is just stating the obvious. Personally I like the idea of electric vehicles but I am concerned about what that will do to the cost of electricity and how it will be regulated. I wont be around Fedex then anyway but Ill probably be driving an all electric Hover-Round. :wink-very:

Star B

White Lightening
My truck has Gps My leo has Gps My FO pkg has GPS....ummm seems like overkill
Your FO does NOT have GPS... directly.

All those Senseaware ID things are BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy). Think temperature beacons, fitness bands, etc. They broadcast the ID signature every few seconds so that hub scanners/LEOs/access points can hear the beacon and go "Oh, it's over here". Get enough devices listening and you can pretty much triangulate where a package is via the strength of signal readings. (otherwise known as RSSI)

If you were to take said FO package on the road, with an old powerpad, drive out to the middle of nowhere and throw it in the middle of a field, the two ways of recovery are:

1) Someone actually finding said package physically and going "wtf?" and giving it back to us.
2) An employee with a LEO drives past, LEO hears the beacon, which then updates the Senseaware tracking on the package with the employees GPS coordinates, giving the trace dept a rough estimation on where that package is.
3) Maybe, Possibly, very doubtful though -- the truck GPS unit could be listening also.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Did ya miss the part where I said people make these big long-term goals and then forget about them?
If by people you mean FedEx management, I concur. I came to FedEx from a business background, and in the over 20 years I spent here, I was dumbfounded by the nearly undeviating lack of complete followthrough on every project that was attempted.

Not saying many weren't worthwhile ideas, but just as a newborn can't fend for itself in a few short months, these concepts were either handed off to incompetent overseers, or were simply allowed to veer off course until they inevitably failed. THIS is the root problem I have with FedEx, because the low man (frontline employee) was always to blame.

It will be fine

If by people you mean FedEx management, I concur. I came to FedEx from a business background, and in the over 20 years I spent here, I was dumbfounded by the nearly undeviating lack of complete followthrough on every project that was attempted.

Not saying many weren't worthwhile ideas, but just as a newborn can't fend for itself in a few short months, these concepts were either handed off to incompetent overseers, or were simply allowed to veer off course until they inevitably failed. THIS is the root problem I have with FedEx, because the low man (frontline employee) was always to blame.
How do you envision the frontline employee taking the blame for fleet composition?

AB831

Every time they announced a new initiative, I would tell my buddy to just ignore it and it would go away completely in a couple weeks. Other than the LEOs, it was always the case.