Here Comes the Electric Fail

fatboy33

I wonder how much taxpayer money is given to companies who buy EV's??? I'll bet the the cost of purchasing these vehicles don't out way the free money handing out by the government......:confused:

wilberforce15

Cost is the only consideration, and it's dropping like a rock.

For almost all applications (except the longest range and heaviest duty), electric motors are simply superior in every respect.

bacha29

Cost is the only consideration, and it's dropping like a rock.

For almost all applications (except the longest range and heaviest duty), electric motors are simply superior in every respect.
Lucid Motors and Arrival are two new and very interesting entrants into the space. There will no doubt be more consolidation and SPAC hookups coming in the years ahead but road clearly looks better for EV's than ICE's . And in the end the cynics and pundits will have to swallow their cuds and their pride and drive one..... or walk.... or ride public transit but will be climbing on an EV bus... or call a ride share and climb into his/her EV because by that time EV's and 4 legs will be about it when it comes to transportation.

wilberforce15

Lucid Motors and Arrival are two new and very interesting entrants into the space. There will no doubt be more consolidation and SPAC hookups coming in the years ahead but road clearly looks better for EV's than ICE's . And in the end the cynics and pundits will have to swallow their cuds and their pride and drive one..... or walk.... or ride public transit but will be climbing on an EV bus... or call a ride share and climb into his/her EV because by that time EV's and 4 legs will be about it when it comes to transportation.
I wouldn't buy too much into Lucid or Arrival.

This is like when the car was first invented. There were thousands of car companies. Only a few ended up winning. Small EV startups, especially those two, come with massive risk.

wilberforce15

Glad we agree.
I don't know why Bacha keeps posting her little fantasies about gas cars being banned.
Eventually, non-autonomous cars might be banned for safety reasons.

And gas cars might stop being produced in a decade or two, but their use won't be banned for many decades. It will just get harder and more expensive to service them or fuel them. Even if selling ICE vehicles were banned today, new ones would still be working in 20 years.

It will be like horses. They used to be everyone's transportation. Now, they only exist for horse enthusiasts and rich people to play with.

Internal combustion cars will be like that. Few will use them daily. They'll be a fun hobby for people with the money.

wilberforce15

Today, right now, you can spend 65k and beat supercars off the line in a family wagon that carries 7 people, with longer range than the supercar, and no maintenance for years and years.

I have no idea why people are still doubters. Electric motors are so vastly superior that ICE doesn't even belong in the same sentence.

oldngray

nowhere special
Eventually, non-autonomous cars might be banned for safety reasons.

And gas cars might stop being produced in a decade or two, but their use won't be banned for many decades. It will just get harder and more expensive to service them or fuel them. Even if selling ICE vehicles were banned today, new ones would still be working in 20 years.

It will be like horses. They used to be everyone's transportation. Now, they only exist for horse enthusiasts and rich people to play with.

Internal combustion cars will be like that. Few will use them daily. They'll be a fun hobby for people with the money.
Electric cars can't compete on their own now and won't be able for many years. True costs get obscured and they are only viable now because of government subsidies. People being forced to switch to electric is not the same as electric being better.

wilberforce15

Electric cars can't compete on their own now and won't be able for many years. True costs get obscured and they are only viable now because of government subsidies. People being forced to switch to electric is not the same as electric being better.
65k is the retail price to go 0 to 60 in 3 seconds with 300+ miles of range and no maintenance for years. In a family wagon.

Subsidies aren't needed.

It's simply superior, and costs are being driven down as we speak.

For 40k in a regular sedan you can do 3.0second 0 to 60, with 350 miles of range.

Superior.

wilberforce15

I could have one at my door with 5 minutes of ordering time on a website.

0 to 60 in 3 seconds with 350 miles of range in a regular sedan. For 40k.

There is nothing that even approaches that. ICE is screwed.

I'm not "optimistic."

It beats everything right now. Without a subsidy.