Hiring and Retaining Quality Employees

fdxsux

And they wonder why we are missing our accident goal by 20 percent and why our on time percents are in the toilet. But don't worry, we're working to find the root cause using QDM.

dmac1

yeah but contractors cost triple the amount of express drivers. x's goal should be to eliminate as many contractors as possible.

Fedex ground delivers packages for much lower cost to fedex than express. Do you really think they use contractors for any other reason??????????????

bacha29

yeah but contractors cost triple the amount of express drivers. x's goal should be to eliminate as many contractors as possible.
Look I go all the way back to 1992 and the days of RPS and I can tell you with complete certainty that the contractor format exists for the following reasons. It allows the company to divest itself of risk liability and variable costs which they put on the contractors backs and to serve as a barrier to any efforts to organize a union shop. In light of those facts please show me the numbers that supports you claim that contractors cost 3 times what express drivers cost

dex 84

A lot of ground operations are poorly run from what I've seen. People still waiting for their packages a week after the commitment date. Could have something to do with the high cost of living here. We have high turnover but it seems like every ground driver i see is new and they all figure out real quick that it's not worth their time.

MAKAVELI

Fedex ground delivers packages for much lower cost to fedex than express. Do you really think they use contractors for any other reason??????????????
You ever heard of route density and stops per hour? Combine ground into Express, condense the routes, and production skyrockets. That Express driver now becomes more competitive with what it costs to pay a middle man and his driver and with total control.

vantexan

You ever heard of route density and stops per hour? Combine ground into Express, condense the routes, and production skyrockets. That Express driver now becomes more competitive with what it costs to pay a middle man and his driver and with total control.
Keep in mind though that we used to schlep all the heavy boxes Ground now handles, driving the big stepvans. Screw that! And FedEx would really have to up the pay and benefits to retain people doing all of that.

MAKAVELI

Keep in mind though that we used to schlep all the heavy boxes Ground now handles, driving the big stepvans. Screw that! And FedEx would really have to up the pay and benefits to retain people doing all of that.
I schlep plenty of heavy boxes now. Makes no difference to me. It all comes off one stop at a time. I agree the pay and benefits would definitely need to be better.

vantexan

I schlep plenty of heavy boxes now. Makes no difference to me. It all comes off one stop at a time. I agree the pay and benefits would definitely need to be better.
Don't know how long you've been around, but these contractors who scoff at what we do don't realize that we used to do everything thing they do plus having to meet all the deadlines, deal with haz, int'l, etc. Sure they can do it, we did. Just be careful what you wish for. Worked some insanely heavy rts where I ran like a dog from clock in to clock out. FedEx still gets their pound of flesh from us but it ain't like the bad old days. Did we have better awards back then? Yes, and for what they demanded from us without compensating us properly those awards meant very little.

MAKAVELI

Don't know how long you've been around, but these contractors who scoff at what we do don't realize that we used to do everything thing they do plus having to meet all the deadlines, deal with haz, int'l, etc. Sure they can do it, we did. Just be careful what you wish for. Worked some insanely heavy rts where I ran like a dog from clock in to clock out. FedEx still gets their pound of flesh from us but it ain't like the bad old days. Did we have better awards back then? Yes, and for what they demanded from us without compensating us properly those awards meant very little.
I couldn't care less about awards. It's all about that $. Turnover is extremely high now. What do you think would happen if they increased the workload without increasing pay?

vantexan

I couldn't care less about awards. It's all about that $. Turnover is extremely high now. What do you think would happen if they increased the workload without increasing pay?
That's the heart of the matter. Ground takes over, tries to do it all but at cutrate pay and few if any benefits. Even Memphis knows what'll happen. They can dream all they want, but the reason they're raising pay now is because we aren't competitive pay wise. It truly looked like for awhile they thought if people were willing to work for what Ground pays then they could do the same at Express. Different animal, and they've made Express a joke in the eyes of the twentysomethings. And they hurt a lot of good employees doing it.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I couldn't care less about awards.
You're one of approximately five people on the planet who says this correctly.
It seems just about everyone says "I could care less", which of course means that they do in fact care - at least a little. And I don't think that's the sentiment they actually intend to convey. (although they could probably care less) :D

whenIgetthere

This is so true. It's like the job description says: "Must have 4 limbs and a pulse." The seniority list at the station from 2008 to present is a revolving door. Literally nobody stays. And the people they bring in are amazingly always worse than the ones that just left. And the people who remain steadfast and hard working get the "no good deed goes unpunished" treatment.

OM introduced three new employees during the belt meeting the other day, we were guessing which of the three makes it past a week, if any of them.

Serf

OM introduced three new employees during the belt meeting the other day, we were guessing which of the three makes it past a week, if any of them.
We had one guy "go to the bathroom" mid sort and never ever return. It sorta reminds me of Day 0 at basic training. You look around at all the motley crew, rough around the edges privates and wonder what rock they crawled out from under to arrive here.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Look I go all the way back to 1992 and the days of RPS and I can tell you with complete certainty that the contractor format exists for the following reasons. It allows the company to divest itself of risk liability and variable costs which they put on the contractors backs and to serve as a barrier to any efforts to organize a union shop. In light of those facts please show me the numbers that supports you claim that contractors cost 3 times what express drivers cost

Bingo. FedEx passes off every cost and liability possible to the contractors. This is why Ground has such outstanding profit margins. While it's possible that Fred sees the writing on the wall as to the legality if the ISP model, my thoughts are that he will try and hang on to his biggest money maker.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I actually had a manager tell me yesterday that the reason my station has such a high turnover is because there is basically no public transportation at our station. RFLMAO!! Really?? That's the best y'all can come up with? Lack of PT never was a hinderance before now. How about because the pay and benefits suck?