Hoffa, has no clue and not even listening

Inthegame

The supplements, that ALL the IBT REPS ADVOCATED FOR, getting voted down better have opened some eyes. But alas, no information from the IBT leads me to believe they still haven't learned.
The only contract ALL the IBT reps advocated for passed. Supplements weren't read or voted on at the National two man.

Inthegame

Put that same " knowledge in people's hands that have some skill and intelligence and who knows what could happen. That is not how politics works, unfortunately. Crony Hoffa knows this, UPS and Teamsters must keep the masses docile and unthinking.
The responsibility for the masses being docile and unthinking, have more to do with the masses than Hoffa or UPS.

stink219

I can't blame you at all. It's a friend*ed up situation that's for sure.

We all agree on that. And the problem was caused by the leadership. Let's be honest. Hoffa and Hall are the root of this whole problem.
They have totally miscalculated everything involved with this contract. And they really have no clue how to proceed from here.
This thing has the potential to literally drag on for years.
Huh? Maybe things are proceeding and you just don't know it. Could it be? Oh I forgot, union business doesn't happen unless it's posted right?

oldupsman

Huh? Maybe things are proceeding and you just don't know it. Could it be? Oh I forgot, union business doesn't happen unless it's posted right?

Could it be? No it's not. Think they can get all 17 supplements passed the next couple weeks? Not even freakin close. They're going to have to
put out a health care plan with every detail being checked and double checked by the rank and file. Oh yeah, this will get done in no time flat.

stink219

Just because it's quiet doesn't mean nothing is going on. I'll give you a hint of what the holdup is....Actuaries. Done by 8/1/13? Not positive.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Just because it's quiet doesn't mean nothing is going on. I'll give you a hint of what the holdup is....Actuaries. Done by 8/1/13? Not positive.

If this was the case, they could come right out and say so and many of us would actually have more respect for whats being done. What we currently see is nothing being done but that's because no information is being shared

I actually think I'm very polite about it. :cool:

Politely Militant!

BrownBrokeDown

Stink and 407, I think what just really irks me, is the silence. I get that not all information can be shared with the general public as it can impact what is going on behind the scenes. I get that it is being worked on despite nothing being said. But it's a funny situation where as a whole the general public doesn't attempt to be informed about issues, and may vote on said issues without any actual information, but we have a subset of the general public here that wants to be informed and knowledable about the issues affecting them...and no information to be had. Sometimes just a "We are working on it" can be appreciated. Not to mention the fact that at least I, not sure about anyone else, have had bad news after extended silence from corporations twice in my working years, and have seen it happen to many other people. The public is wary of large organizations from recent history, and silence does not promote trust.

Inthegame

Stink and 407, I think what just really irks me, is the silence. I get that not all information can be shared with the general public as it can impact what is going on behind the scenes. I get that it is being worked on despite nothing being said. But it's a funny situation where as a whole the general public doesn't attempt to be informed about issues, and may vote on said issues without any actual information, but we have a subset of the general public here that wants to be informed and knowledable about the issues affecting them...and no information to be had. Sometimes just a "We are working on it" can be appreciated. Not to mention the fact that at least I, not sure about anyone else, have had bad news after extended silence from corporations twice in my working years, and have seen it happen to many other people. The public is wary of large organizations from recent history, and silence does not promote trust.

This notification will be sent to all UPS Teamsters today. This is text only, I'm not savvy enough to include images...

I am writing to bring you up to date on the status of the 2013 UPS contract and your Area Supplement or Rider.

As you know, the National UPS Agreement covering more than 220,000 Teamster members throughout the country has been approved by a majority of UPS Teamsters who voted. This contract will take effect after all Area Supplements and Riders, including yours, are also passed. The National UPS Contract covers all economic issues including wage increases, pension contributions, and health care benefits. It also contains many improvements in language dealing with 9.5 issues, harassment, SurePost and additional full-time jobs.

It is important to clarify that while you or your fellow members covered by your Area Supplement may have voted against the National Agreement, a majority of Teamsters around the country voted to pass it. It is, therefore, a binding agreement between UPS and the Teamsters Union, and cannot be reopened.
A majority of Teamsters voting in your area voted against your Area Supplement. Many voted against the Area Supplement because they were unhappy with the change to a new health care plan that was negotiated in the National Agreement. Because health care is contained in the National Agreement, another vote against the Supplement will not impact health care. The Supplement deals strictly with local area issues, not the broader economic and language issues that are covered by the National Agreement that has already been approved.

At the same time, there were local issues that people voting against the Area Supplement were concerned with. Your supplemental negotiating committee is now bargaining with the company to address these issues. Once a modified agreement is concluded we will bring that to you for a new vote.

Health Care
When we went into negotiations, UPS was demanding major concessions in health care, including the proposal that UPS employees pay a significant share of the monthly premium currently paid 100% by the company. We attempted, and we believe we were successful in bargaining a new health care plan, TeamCare, that is comparable to the former UPS company plan and is significantly better than the UPS proposal. It does not require UPS Teamsters to pay a monthly premium. Nevertheless, the prospect of changing health care plans produced uncertainty among many UPS members and in some areas, including yours, led to a vote against the National and Supplemental Agreements.

Even though the new TeamCare plan has been ratified in the national agreement we want you to know that your Negotiating Committee will be working with the TeamCare trustees and administration to make improvements in areas that we know our members were most concerned with.

Going Forward
After your area supplement bargaining committee concludes its negotiations, a contract will be presented to you for ratification. You will review the changes made to the Supplement and decide to vote for or against it.
Keep in mind that the wage and benefit increases will not go into effect until after all Supplements and Riders are passed.
The final decision will be in your hands.

Fraternally yours,
hall
Co-Chair, National Negotiating Committee

BrownBrokeDown

Well at least it is something. Overall not too bad of an explanation for the people that refuse to believe the national (read healthcare, 9/5, Surepost, etc) is a closed case. Could have done without "Keep in mind that the wage and benefit increases will not go into effect until after all Supplements and Riders are passed". If that was going to be put in there, should have also included something like ", though all raises and benefit increases will be payed retroactively when the supplements and riders are passed." That sentance as-is, is dangerously close to sounding like something TDU would have in one of their articles.

We'll see if the people that are voting no because of the healthcare will finally realize there isn't anything that can be done about it. Though it is intriguing that the union is still looking at Teamcare.

Overpaid Union Thug

Well at least it is something. Overall not too bad of an explanation for the people that refuse to believe the national (read healthcare, 9/5, Surepost, etc) is a closed case. Could have done without "Keep in mind that the wage and benefit increases will not go into effect until after all Supplements and Riders are passed". If that was going to be put in there, should have also included something like ", though all raises and benefit increases will be payed retroactively when the supplements and riders are passed." That sentance as-is, is dangerously close to sounding like something TDU would have in one of their articles.

We'll see if the people that are voting no because of the healthcare will finally realize there isn't anything that can be done about it. Though it is intriguing that the union is still looking at Teamcare.

I think that the reference to the economic language not going into affect until supplements are settled was an attempt to sway those that normally would have voted yes on a contract just for the raises. K. HALL knows that many were swayed by the vote no campaigns but might cave once the reality of having to wait for their raises sets in.

BrownBrokeDown

I think that the reference to the economic language not going into affect until supplements are settled was an attempt to sway those that normally would have voted yes on a contract just for the raises. K. HALL knows that many were swayed by the vote no campaigns but might cave once the reality of having to wait for their raises sets in.

That was my point. It was a very one-dimensional statement. To the average upser that isn't paying attention, it sounds like you won't get your raises unless you pass your supplement/ryder. Which is why if it was going to be in there it needed something added to it about raises being retroactively paid once everything does pass.

kingOFchester

About time. I feel as though my no vote was heard, where as before I felt that my vote, as well as my locals, was not being heard. A statement such as this goes a long way to gaining some trust back.

I am not a fan with the way he ended the letter, seems like a scare technique. But, sitting here and farting into my sofa, its easy to critique.

Glad we heard something, glad that they are looking into enhancements of Teamcare. I hope other issues within the supplement are also addressed.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
If the economic aspects are contained in the Master and the master can not be changed because it was voted in then why WOULDN'T the raises go into effect on the first? Something does not smell right!

stink219

If the economic aspects are contained in the Master and the master can not be changed because it was voted in then why WOULDN'T the raises go into effect on the first? Something does not smell right!

The contract has some overlapping elements. It's considered on unit.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Because the master cannot be signed off on or go into effect until all 18 failed supplements are ratified.
It can be changed, it's just that neither side wants to reopen it.
​We are sailing through uncharted waters.