Holding on to yesterday

satellitedriver

Yeah, the rotary dial, with the distinctive sound when dialing. I still remember my phone number, from when I was growing up. I guess UPS was my destiny.:wink2:
I had to clean out my mother in laws house last year. I found a princess rotary dial phone. Just for kicks, I plugged it in and called my sister.
It worked!!!!!
I had no idea that a rotary phone was still compatible with the new technology.
Funny thing to me was that I had to search for the numbers on the dial. I use to be able to drop my fingers in the holes and spin away.
It also brought to mind that phone numbers use to start with words.
Riverside was our prefix in the 50's/60's. I forget my old phone number, but I think it was RI-7436.

over9five

Staff member
Yeah, the rotary dial, with the distinctive sound when dialing. I still remember my phone number, from when I was growing up. I guess UPS was my destiny.:wink2:

That's weird, me too! And I can remember my best friends. Nowadays I don't know anyones number, does anyone? You just program it into your phone and forget it, you never even see the number again.

I got a new cell number a month ago, and I don't even know that! (Right, Cove?)

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Two dials on the TV - One for UHF, One for VHF. You had 13 channels, but channel #1 never got anything. Come to think of it, most of the others didn't either.

Our first color TV had a REMOTE CONTROL!!! It was a little box you could click on to change the channels. All you had to do is unravel this 10 foot cord & plug it into the front of the TV, and you had remote control. Kind of.

Remember when you had to wait for the TV to warm up?

More recently, remember when it was worth staying up for SNL?

Dad making all us kids be quiet, dinner had to be early, there could be no talking during Star Trek.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Northern WI still had party lines in the early seventies. You picked up the phone and someone else was on the line, you had to wait until they finished before you could make your call. Or listen in to the conversation.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Two dials on the TV - One for UHF, One for VHF. You had 13 channels, but channel #1 never got anything. Come to think of it, most of the others didn't either.

Our first color TV had a REMOTE CONTROL!!! It was a little box you could click on to change the channels. All you had to do is unravel this 10 foot cord & plug it into the front of the TV, and you had remote control. Kind of.

Remember when you had to wait for the TV to warm up?

More recently, remember when it was worth staying up for SNL?

Dad making all us kids be quiet, dinner had to be early, there could be no talking during Star Trek.
In NYC, all of those channels came in, crystal clear. Livin, remote just means close, even if a 10' cord is attached, LOL.

I grew up in Long Island and NYC, and the two places were complete opposiyes. From political parties, to morals & values. Even the toothpaste was opposites.

rod

Retired 22 years
didn't need a remote on the first tv we had that I can remember--- we only got one channel:wink2: -and it was fuzzy.

ups1990

TV shows;

Swat
Thats incredible
Wide World Of Sports
This Week In Baseball
Leave It To Beaver. Remember when Eddie would go up to Wally's room and start pounding on the beaver?

old levi's

blank space
Remember the tin foil flags on the indoor antenna on top of the TV for better reception. What used to drive me crazy was the picture would start to roll and you would adjust the knob on the back of the set until it quit, but when you sat down it would slowly start to roll in the opposite direction.

ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
TV shows;

Swat
Thats incredible
Wide World Of Sports
This Week In Baseball
Leave It To Beaver. Remember when Eddie would go up to Wally's room and start pounding on the beaver?

Wide world of sports was just awesome - every Sunday afternoon.

Anyone remember the show "Emergency"?

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Remember the tin foil flags on the indoor antenna on top of the TV for better reception. What used to drive me crazy was the picture would start to roll and you would adjust the knob on the back of the set until it quit, but when you sat down it would slowly start to roll in the opposite direction.

ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Ahhh - the vertical hold adjustment......good times....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
When I was young my parents had a remote for the TV, ME!!!
LOL Hey, I just thought up this name for your boat......SEARENITY.

TV shows;

Swat
Thats incredible
Wide World Of Sports
This Week In Baseball

I remember Ward would always ask June where the Beaver was.:wink2:

Ward was kind of clueless that way ! And she always wore a dress
Be right back, you guys just gave me an idea.:wink2:

ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Do not attemt to adjust your TV set.:happy2:

P

pickup

What was your favorite Movie/TV show/thing to do?

I remember my whole family gathering in my Mom & Dad's room to watch all of the old variety shows, like Flip Wilson, Carol Burnett and movies, like The 10 commandments, Dr Zhivago ( My Mom's favorite), The Sound of Music, to a name a few.

All of the music we listened to,was on the A.M. band. My sisters had their 45 record storage cases. I bet if I tried, I could remember all the minute details from yesterday.

BTW, I grew up in the late 60's, early 70's.

maybe we should call you "TV Stevie" (say it outloud , it rhymes) I remember when I was young, like let's say 5 or so. I would have my bath at 600 oclock on sunday night. Get out and dried around 6:25 and watch Mutual of Omaha's wild kingdom thinking that all the wild animals they showed were in this magic land of Nebraska. This is due to all the insurance commercials inserted by the sponsor that mentioned Nebraska. And then the payoff : The wonderful world of Disney at 7:00 and afterwards bed.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I remember fighting with my family for the TV when the Wonderful World of Disney came on. I was so stoked that they would have cartoons at 7:00 pm that I thought it was the best thing since curb feelers!