Home buying

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Geez. You’re losing out on some much gains taking money out of your 401k for 5 years
Yes and No. At the time it was better to own than rent. On this loan you are paying yourself back and using DCA, dollar cost averaging so when the market is down you are buying back more shares.

Plus , on average the housing can make some good gains so you are increasing your equity and not your landlords equity.

It worked out well for us. Our home was bought for 150k.
Now it's worth close to 900k. That's a 600% increase or gains. About 18-20% year on average. Some smart guys at work kept on buying rental housing thru the years and made fortunes.

My 401k did not have those results in same time period. About 8% a year on average.

You do have to do some homework before doing this since everyone's situation is different.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
We in the younger generations certainly got screwed for the time being but things are starting to slow down and even a few price declines to the point where saving these past few years has not been entirely a waste of time. It's a lot easier to swallow higher interest rates with a large savings pool than the vast majority of buyers.

trotsky

Got something better lined up? There’s life after UPS if you don’t like it. Totally understandable.
I had a degree when I started almost 30 years ago, wage was more than double minimu. and at that time it was 30 and out with a nice pension. As a young buck today could I do better than ups? Absolutely.

Thebrownblob

I had a degree when I started almost 30 years ago, wage was more than double minimu. and at that time it was 30 and out with a nice pension. As a young buck today could I do better than ups? Absolutely.
Yep I have a degree as well, many of the people I grew up with Who also have degrees have not had the stability that I have had in the last 30 years. Everything is a trade-off.