Homeless and struggling

Berni97

I've been a sorter for UPS for almost 4 years now. I dont mind the environment and the people are great. But recently my family (mother, grandmother, and i) were evicted from our property and have been homeless since early February. After spending a month in a motel I couldn't afford it anymore luckily my cousin was willing to take us in but for a short time. I feel so lost and unsure about when I'll ever get back on my feet. Just as things seem to be going ok everything falls apart again. My car has just broken down so now I have no transportation for myself nor my family. I've exhausted as many resources as I can to find some type of housing for us but no luck.. especially in LA. If anyone has any tips or renting anything out for under 1,500 please I'm desperate. I cant lose my car that's my only way of getting to work but it'll cost everything I have to fix it. I'm the only one with income and I'm trying my best to keep us afloat..

rod

Retired 22 years
Get your ass out of LA. Move to the midwest. Every place has help wanted signs and $1500 a month will get you a mansion.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I've been a sorter for UPS for almost 4 years now. I dont mind the environment and the people are great. But recently my family (mother, grandmother, and i) were evicted from our property and have been homeless since early February. After spending a month in a motel I couldn't afford it anymore luckily my cousin was willing to take us in but for a short time. I feel so lost and unsure about when I'll ever get back on my feet. Just as things seem to be going ok everything falls apart again. My car has just broken down so now I have no transportation for myself nor my family. I've exhausted as many resources as I can to find some type of housing for us but no luck.. especially in LA. If anyone has any tips or renting anything out for under 1,500 please I'm desperate. I cant lose my car that's my only way of getting to work but it'll cost everything I have to fix it. I'm the only one with income and I'm trying my best to keep us afloat..
Move

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Find out what's wrong with your car, then figure out how much the parts are and if you can fix it yourself, maybe get a second job

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Are you just part time? How about 2 more jobs?

Seriously , consider moving. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee .......google cheapest states to live.
Amazon in some places have cheap campgrounds for workers......for a start.

There are literally 1000's of opportunities in this country. I lived in my van for 3 years to save a down payment on a house .
That was in 96-99. Now I own that home free and clear for 8 years now.

You are information challenged. You need some good solid advice from perhaps social services.
Google is your friend.

Berni97

You say move like it's that easy. I cant just pick up everything and go. Mainly because my grandmother refuses to leave LA but also I dont have the funds to move us. I cant leave them behind. Google hasnt helped. I've looked up shelters and resources endless times but none either take families , dont take pets , or have no openings. None of the programs have been able to help except by giving foodstamps. Social services hasnt been much help except for pointing us in directions of shelters who then say have no vacancy. I've been looking into getting a second job until I can become a driver for UPS. Working is the only thing keeping me same at the moment

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You say move like it's that easy. I cant just pick up everything and go. Mainly because my grandmother refuses to leave LA but also I dont have the funds to move us. I cant leave them behind. Google hasnt helped. I've looked up shelters and resources endless times but none either take families , dont take pets , or have no openings. None of the programs have been able to help except by giving foodstamps. Social services hasnt been much help except for pointing us in directions of shelters who then say have no vacancy. I've been looking into getting a second job until I can become a driver for UPS. Working is the only thing keeping me same at the moment

As hard as it may be to hear, your Mom and Grandma aren't your responsibility. If you can't get into a shelter as a family, it's probably time to split up, which would be better than all of you being on the street.

There is what you feel obligated to do, then there's what you are actually capable of doing. You spinning your wheels like this isn't helping mom and grandma, and it sure isn't helping you. Cousin should be willing to help out with grandma a while longer (assuming blood relation), mom needs to figure out a way to contribute and not lean entirely on you, or she can live at the shelter.

Once you get yourself into a position where you can actually take care of mom and grandma, then you can let them mooch off you again. But if you are depending on becoming a driver, you don't want to risk messing that up until after you qualify. It's hard enough when you are single or have a supportive family, but having this sort of chaos while trying to qualify isn't a great idea.

Berni97

My cousin doesn't seem to mind them being there I'm
As hard as it may be to hear, your Mom and Grandma aren't your responsibility. If you can't get into a shelter as a family, it's probably time to split up, which would be better than all of you being on the street.

There is what you feel obligated to do, then there's what you are actually capable of doing. You spinning your wheels like this isn't helping mom and grandma, and it sure isn't helping you. Cousin should be willing to help out with grandma a while longer (assuming blood relation), mom needs to figure out a way to contribute and not lean entirely on you, or she can live at the shelter.

Once you get yourself into a position where you can actually take care of mom and grandma, then you can let them mooch off you again. But if you are depending on becoming a driver, you don't want to risk messing that up until after you qualify. It's hard enough when you are single or have a supportive family, but having this sort of chaos while trying to qualify isn't a great idea.
I completely get where your coming from. My cousin doesn't seem to mind them being there I'm pretty much there to only sleep. I just feel so bad that I cant take care of them like they did me. My mom could barely walk so she's not capable of getting a job and keeps getting denied for disability. I just wanna be on my own and have to just worry about myself. It would be WAY less stress. I know I could at least get a room for rent if that was the case. Hoping I can at least go driving come peak season

Jkloc420

Not everybody can just up and move with no job prospects, it isnt like ups is going to just let him transfer or him find a place to leave right of the bat

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

I completely get where your coming from. My cousin doesn't seem to mind them being there I'm pretty much there to only sleep. I just feel so bad that I cant take care of them like they did me. My mom could barely walk so she's not capable of getting a job and keeps getting denied for disability. I just wanna be on my own and have to just worry about myself. It would be WAY less stress. I know I could at least get a room for rent if that was the case. Hoping I can at least go driving come peak season
We are our own worst enemies. We can let life defeat us or keep picking ourselves back up and fight back. You have to make that choice first. I’m thinking the second choice is always the best one.

Jkloc420

Your going have to get a second job and save as much has you can

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
See if you can double shift at your building and sign every bid for package car jobs