How Bad Will Peak Be?

Realistically, How Bad Will Peak Be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AB831

Yes.

No, as the competition also has a promise of service.

They should have known that a global pandemic (and the applicable responses) would wreak havoc on economic demand, supply chains, logistics, and employment and should have been able to do something so that the company could operate in a "business as normal" manner throughout the whole thing, and not playing whack a mole like everyone else. Because reasons.
It’s hilarious watching you defend a box company with the same amount of energy most people would use to defend their mother.

Guitarman01

The current Leo map is ESRI driven so that might be correct. The old DRA and ROADS maps were Navteq. The problem lies with how often they pay to update them, since either could be outdated in a matter of months in some zip codes.
One word, Circuit. Its probably already better then anything Fedex could implement. Everyone that comes in to Fedex now at our station starts using that app. I know what time im going to be back to the station before I even leave. Pretty cool.
It is nice to have the Leo map, but its navigation sucks compared to google maps. Its also buggy and wont even stay open.
Google maps also just released an update to navigate using the most fuel efficient route.
Middays or response were given nothing to work with no stop order, no maps, nothing.
Its kind of a joke, even our manager knows we need to use an app.

HedleyLamarr

What could possibly make peak worse this year? A pilot shortage perhaps?

I was told that many pilots who have maxed out their benefits at FedEx are switching to Amazon so they can draw pensions from both companies when they fully retire. In the past couple of weeks, there have been 2 days where are flight did not come in. The plane was ready, but there was no one to fly it.

bacha29

What could possibly make peak worse this year? A pilot shortage perhaps?

I was told that many pilots who have maxed out their benefits at FedEx are switching to Amazon so they can draw pensions from both companies when they fully retire. In the past couple of weeks, there have been 2 days where are flight did not come in. The plane was ready, but there was no one to fly it.
Classic Fedex. All dressed up and nowhere to go.
Saw some data the other day. Boomers were born into households that on average had 4 kids in it. However, their own households had an average of only 1.8 kids in it. Combine fewer numbers with the high skill and education levels required today and you have what you have. .
Career demographics pros have been tracking this trend since the 1980's . It Fat Freddy's own damn fault that he either failed to track the demographic trends and restructure his company ahead of them or he wrongly believed that it wasn't going to affect him.

At Express and Freight it's a management problem that requires a management solution. At Ground it's a contractor problem that requires a contractor solution.

The current situation has been building up for going on 40 years. So if you're not management....it's punch the clock...load the box....Dump the box...punch the clock.

Just remember , in the midst of the current cluster orgy...the dumber you act...the less they expect from you.... And don't let some corporate ball stimulator who lacks the skill and knowledge to be holding the position pressure you to produce the solutions he's getting paid to figure out himself.... Again, it's punch the clock....load the box....Dump the box....punch the clock.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Classic Fedex. All dressed up and nowhere to go.
Saw some data the other day. Boomers were born into households that on average had 4 kids in it. However, their own households had an average of only 1.8 kids in it. Combine fewer numbers with the high skill and education levels required today and you have what you have. .
Career demographics pros have been tracking this trend since the 1980's . It Fat Freddy's own damn fault that he either failed to track the demographic trends and restructure his company ahead of them or he wrongly believed that it wasn't going to affect him.

At Express and Freight it's a management problem that requires a management solution. At Ground it's a contractor problem that requires a contractor solution.

The current situation has been building up for going on 40 years. So if you're not management....it's punch the clock...load the box....Dump the box...punch the clock.

Just remember , in the midst of the current cluster orgy...the dumber you act...the less they expect from you.... And don't let some corporate ball stimulator who lacks the skill and knowledge to be holding the position pressure you to produce the solutions he's getting paid to figure out himself.... Again, it's punch the clock....load the box....Dump the box....punch the clock.
Not necessarily disagreeing, but pointing out the flaw in your thesis.

4 Boomers times 1.8 offspring equals 7.2 replacements for each 4 Boomers. The numbers are increasing, not decreasing.

bacha29

Not necessarily disagreeing, but pointing out the flaw in your thesis.

4 Boomers times 1.8 offspring equals 7.2 replacements for each 4 Boomers. The numbers are increasing, not decreasing.
Then how do you explain the fact that the birth rate is the lowest since 1930? And shouldn't that be 7.2 offspring for 8 boomers? Last time I looked it still took 2 boomers to make 1 offspring. The data is based on 2 adults per household.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I was told that many pilots who have maxed out their benefits at FedEx are switching to Amazon so they can draw pensions from both companies when they fully retire.
I wouldn't put much stock into that.

For one, Amazon doesn't employ any pilots. Two, they'd be leaving a company that pays them nearly $300k for one that pays significantly less. Three, they'd be starting at the bottom of the pay progression. Fourth, they'd have to work a dozen years to top out. Fifth, they'd have no seniority. Sixth, the company has a 401k plan and no pension. Seventh, FAA mandatory retirement age is 65, so they may not be able to work that long at the new company anyway.

This is the equivalent of retiring from a nice route at UPS at age 55 to take a job with a Ground contractor running the route he can't keep staffed.

Star B

White Lightening
It is nice to have the Leo map, but its navigation sucks compared to google maps. Its also buggy and wont even stay open.
If you are talking about the randomly kicks you out to the main screen, it's because you moved faster than 45mph. its to help discourage you from looking at the leo while driving.

For one, Amazon doesn't employ any pilots

o rly? It wouldn't be the first time an airline with a hub in KCVG took out an airline that had a hub in KMEM
("wtf you babbling about?" legend:: NWA DAL )

Last edited:

falcon back

I wouldn't put much stock into that.

For one, Amazon doesn't employ any pilots. Two, they'd be leaving a company that pays them nearly $300k for one that pays significantly less. Three, they'd be starting at the bottom of the pay progression. Fourth, they'd have to work a dozen years to top out. Fifth, they'd have no seniority. Sixth, the company has a 401k plan and no pension. Seventh, FAA mandatory retirement age is 65, so they may not be able to work that long at the new company anyway.

This is the equivalent of retiring from a nice route at UPS at age 55 to take a job with a Ground contractor running the route he can't keep staffed.
Considering pilots draw almost 90% of their salary during retirement, what makes you think Fdx pilots aren't opting for retirement and drawing their pension and a good salary from Amazon. They might not match their FDX salary but anything above 10% is a feather in their cap. Can you come up with reason 8?

Guitarman01

If you are talking about the randomly kicks you out to the main screen, it's because you moved faster than 45mph. its to help discourage you from looking at the leo while driving.
That makes sense. Now with the cameras just taking your eyes off the road for more then a couple seconds seems to trigger the camera and a voice saying "Distracted" for some.
I havent gotten that yet but I mount my phone high on a vent clip so I dont even need to move my head to look at it.
I also wear 8-) during the day.
It is pretty helpful in the dark though to look at the gps and pinpoint where a house or drive might be, especially when you cant even read the address.

whenIgetthere

That makes sense. Now with the cameras just taking your eyes off the road for more then a couple seconds seems to trigger the camera and a voice saying "Distracted" for some.
I havent gotten that yet but I mount my phone high on a vent clip so I dont even need to move my head to look at it.
I also wear 8-) during the day.
It is pretty helpful in the dark though to look at the gps and pinpoint where a house or drive might be, especially when you cant even read the address.
Haven't been in a vehicle with the camera, and retired last week, so will not be in one. Serious question, we should check our mirrors every eight seconds, does the camera/AI consider that taking your eyes off the road?

Star B

White Lightening
Serious question, we should check our mirrors every eight seconds, does the camera/AI consider that taking your eyes off the road?
i'm sure it's part of the calculation but unless you're about to rear end something, it wont care about a 1 second glance left and one second to the right.... but then I could never get a straight answer from anyone anywhere in the chain on what its actually looking for.. other than "distracted driving", no seatbelt, smoking, or following too closely for too long.

Also, congrats on the retirement @whenIgetthere!!!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Considering pilots draw almost 90% of their salary during retirement, what makes you think Fdx pilots aren't opting for retirement and drawing their pension and a good salary from Amazon. They might not match their FDX salary but anything above 10% is a feather in their cap. Can you come up with reason 8?
Q: Why wouldn't they get a good salary from Amazon?
A: They would be working for ABX or Atlas, of whom are cheap.

Have you been following any of this?

falcon back

Q: Why wouldn't they get a good salary from Amazon?
A: They would be working for ABX or Atlas, of whom are cheap.

Have you been following any of this?
Can you do the math? If not, get a 5th grader to explain. You said a FDX pilot can make $300k a year. They get close to 90% of their salary in retirement. That puts them in the $260k maybe $270k range just in pension. Anything they make above $35k or so puts them even. Let them make anything in six figures, they are now $65k or more of where they are now. Let them make $150k flying Amazon planes, they are now $115k above where they are now. Let them do that a few years and they can pay for all the divorces and rehab bills they have racked up. Do that 5 years and they are now close to $550k ahead of where they would be. TTKU.