How Bad Will Peak Be?

Realistically, How Bad Will Peak Be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MassWineGuy

The Lead On program. A sales rep was once handing out lead slips at clock in. I told her that she didn’t help me with my job, why help her?

Basement Dweller

We got word that peak is starting for the 5th of November. That means 6 days a week for part timers and 5 days a week for full timers. How in the heck does that work?! On average the typical full time handler works 9 hours a day with a manditory 1 hour lunch (transition from nights to sunrise or sunrise to days) while part timers work 8-10 hours with breaks not required but heavily not encouraged. Response is not cancelled or put off, which means it will be triple the volume rather than double.

falcon back

We got word that peak is starting for the 5th of November. That means 6 days a week for part timers and 5 days a week for full timers. How in the heck does that work?! On average the typical full time handler works 9 hours a day with a manditory 1 hour lunch (transition from nights to sunrise or sunrise to days) while part timers work 8-10 hours with breaks not required but heavily not encouraged. Response is not cancelled or put off, which means it will be triple the volume rather than double.
Welcome to working for a package company that gets busy during November and December. Did nobody tell you that when you hired on!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
“Breaks heavily not encouraged?” 🤔

FedexCares

That’s insane you are getting that many hours. I have worked at the Indy hub as a part timer and when I was there it was a struggle to get more than 20-25 hours a week. There were really no full time handlers when I was there. I don’t think those handler jobs were even designed to be working that many hours, the toll on the body has to be horrendous after a while. 9 hours of input and non-cons?? No thanks.

Basement Dweller

Welcome to working for a package company that gets busy during November and December. Did nobody tell you that when you hired on!
Peak was always the day after Thanksgiving. I've been at the company for 6 years. They want to start sooner to and I quote from my Senior Manager "We want to get a headstart and prevent rollover to stop late packages getting to our customers". Yeah bud, that's going to work out when the planes are constantly late hour and half every day. If we have to keep sorting until 6 PM when planes are suppose to take off at 4 PM, packages are not going to be on time. Now we have a container shortage because most of them are sitting in MEM wrapped in plastic, maybe they'll get around to sorting them.
That’s insane you are getting that many hours. I have worked at the Indy hub as a part timer and when I was there it was a struggle to get more than 20-25 hours a week. There were really no full time handlers when I was there. I don’t think those handler jobs were even designed to be working that many hours, the toll on the body has to be horrendous after a while. 9 hours of input and non-cons?? No thanks.
It hasn't been that was since March 2020. Rewind back to summer of 2019 and I was lucky to get 15 hours a week. Oh and it's 11 hours of input and non-cons on Saturday since they haven't had enough hands to field a whole line in 2 months.

falcon back

Peak was always the day after Thanksgiving. I've been at the company for 6 years. They want to start sooner to and I quote from my Senior Manager "We want to get a headstart and prevent rollover to stop late packages getting to our customers". Yeah bud, that's going to work out when the planes are constantly late hour and half every day. If we have to keep sorting until 6 PM when planes are suppose to take off at 4 PM, packages are not going to be on time. Now we have a container shortage because most of them are sitting in MEM wrapped in plastic, maybe they'll get around to sorting them.

It hasn't been that was since March 2020. Rewind back to summer of 2019 and I was lucky to get 15 hours a week. Oh and it's 11 hours of input and non-cons on Saturday since they haven't had enough hands to field a whole line in 2 months.
LOL. 6 years? I had my last stylus longer than 6 years. Peak is a term that corresponds to when the volume goes nuts. Peak planning usually begins before Thanksgiving and last thru Christmas. Every station does things different but I am sure the plan would kick in before Black Friday. How do you think the stores stock up on what they sell on Black Friday? Bulks, bulks and more bulks.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

DA352D40-90C5-4FF5-A34D-08E02EA27872.jpeg

Hopefully, Peak won’t be THIS bad. Y’all be safe out there and remember no package or Fedex vehicle is worth your life. There are a lot of crazies and criminals on the streets nowadays facing no repercussions.

Working4the1%

bbsam

Staff member
As a favor to a station manager, I got all of the vaccinations, a renewed medical card at my expense and surgically overhauled. I did so that this manager could use me as an example to ground contractors that simple ads will not fulfill their peak season labor needs. Instead they have to take whatever leads they catch wind of, go out and find that person and be willing to give that person everything the route makes just to fulfill their contractual obligations which are by far more important.
None of the contractors around here even care anymore. We’ve decided (after seeing the ridiculous upcoming agreement) that the company is dead set on taking area and setting up new service areas to limit contractor size. Service numbers aren’t going to matter. They will find an excuse to downsize any operation. So relax, cash the checks, carry on.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
None of the contractors around here even care anymore. We’ve decided (after seeing the ridiculous upcoming agreement) that the company is dead set on taking area and setting up new service areas to limit contractor size. Service numbers aren’t going to matter. They will find an excuse to downsize any operation. So relax, cash the checks, carry on.
Doesn’t sound very healthy for Ground. Express is already a train wreck.