how can we be charged with an accident?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Speaking of accidents, I got rear ended today. I turned left off a main road and threw my turn signal on to pull into the side entrance of a gas station. A 75 year old man in a Saturn turned in behind me and wasn't paying attention. I heard brakes lock up and BAM!, riight into my rear bumper. We were both OK, but his front bumper got hung under my rear bumper and it took the tow truck to pull us apart. He got charged with the accident.

The reason I was turning into the gas station? I was meeting a FT Sup so he could do a safety ride! He witnessed the whole thing. Heck of a way to start a safety ride, it rattled me a little bit.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Speaking of accidents, I got rear ended today. I turned left off a main road and threw my turn signal on to pull into the side entrance of a gas station. A 75 year old man in a Saturn turned in behind me and wasn't paying attention. I heard brakes lock up and BAM!, riight into my rear bumper. We were both OK, but his front bumper got hung under my rear bumper and it took the tow truck to pull us apart. He got charged with the accident.

The reason I was turning into the gas station? I was meeting a FT Sup so he could do a safety ride! He witnessed the whole thing. Heck of a way to start a safety ride, it rattled me a little bit.
Ah, that sucks Scratch. Did your sup give you a hard time about it?

Hangingon

Is it against the law to talk on a cell phone while driving in Maryland?
Yes, unless you're using a hands free device, which we aren't allowed to use while using a DIAD... Guess that was why we were all told to put our cell phones in the cargo area and not the cab.

BigBrownSanta

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you're OK.

backinbrown

respect my authority

I am glad you are ok

you just know they will say he should have seen the older man if he :blahblah:

Thats to bad keep us informed

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Ah, that sucks Scratch. Did your sup give you a hard time about it?

Not at all, we kind of laughed about it after I first checked on the little old man to see if he was OK. This sup had just done another safety ride the other day, and when he got off that car, a U-Haul came by and tore the mirror off. We were joking that he was bad luck. My OnCar was down there in about fifteen minutes, so there were two FT supes taking pictures and I had my camera phone out. It was a surreal scene in a way. I still made 9.5 and scratched with a 140 stops, despite being held up for an hour. This is the first time I have ever been rear ended.

rod

Retired 22 years
i would agree but i know they would give me a hard time if i brought back because driveway was too long, mayby i am wrong

I can hear the conversation now:

Driver: I brought back 3 stops today because Tieguy says we don't have to deliver to places with long driveways.

Sup or center manager: GET YOU friend%&$#($ ***** back out there and deliver the friend$^#$*^ packages like you are paid to do and DON"T EVER try that friend*&%$#& S&^% again.:wink2:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes, unless you're using a hands free device, which we aren't allowed to use while using a DIAD... Guess that was why we were all told to put our cell phones in the cargo area and not the cab.

So the driver who was caught wasn't using a hands free device?

Hangingon

I'm assuming not since we were told the DM saw him on the phone. We haven't heard the final outcome but are all assuming it will be one of those forced vacations. Hopefully not more then a week.

backinbrown

respect my authority
I can hear the conversation now:

Driver: I brought back 3 stops today because Tieguy says we don't have to deliver to places with long driveways.

Sup or center manager: GET YOU friend%&$#($ ***** back out there and deliver the friend$^#$*^ packages like you are paid to do and DON"T EVER try that friend*&%$#& S&^% again.:wink2:

TOOOOOOO funny

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Not at all, we kind of laughed about it after I first checked on the little old man to see if he was OK. This sup had just done another safety ride the other day, and when he got off that car, a U-Haul came by and tore the mirror off. We were joking that he was bad luck. My OnCar was down there in about fifteen minutes, so there were two FT supes taking pictures and I had my camera phone out. It was a surreal scene in a way. I still made 9.5 and scratched with a 140 stops, despite being held up for an hour. This is the first time I have ever been rear ended.
That's good, Scratch. I was kinda rear-ended last summer. Some old lady jumped lanes behind me to make a left turn into a gas station. As she did that she clipped my passenger side rear bumper. She tried to tell the cop that I hit her. The cop and I both just chuckled and shook our heads.

backinbrown

respect my authority
That's good, Scratch. I was kinda rear-ended last summer. Some old lady jumped lanes behind me to make a left turn into a gas station. As she did that she clipped my passenger side rear bumper. She tried to tell the cop that I hit her. The cop and I both just chuckled and shook our heads.

Dill what was out come with ups

un-avoidable?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dill what was out come with ups

un-avoidable?
Yes, unavoidable. I think they would have had a hard time making an avoidable stick. The cop was really cool about it. He even said he was going to turn her into the medical review board. She was not all there.

brown bomber

brown bomber
suppose as you approach the house after a quarter mile walk the dog is out.......in my area it's usually a german shepard, rottweiller or a pit bull.any suggestions

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm assuming not since we were told the DM saw him on the phone. We haven't heard the final outcome but are all assuming it will be one of those forced vacations. Hopefully not more then a week.

Having a hard time understanding how this DM was able to morph this scenario into a tier 3 accident. More importantly it does not fit the criteria for a serious accident. In that case it would seem to me that the progression of discipline was ignored. Is there some supplimental language I'm missing here.

Hangingon

We had a mass PCM about this and were all warned at the time that if we were seen using the phone while in an intersection we would be charged with a tier 3. I doubt they can make it stick and it has probably morphed into a failure to follow instructions discipline. I'll ask the steward when he comes back from vacation what finally happened.

This thread is kind of cute,like listening to teenagers talk about their first kiss. Wow!,backing up a straight chassis vehicle. When you guys get some experience maybe us real drivers will show you how to do it with 53' of trailer behind you.:happy-very:

backinbrown

respect my authority
This thread is kind of cute,like listening to teenagers talk about their first kiss. Wow!,backing up a straight chassis vehicle. When you guys get some experience maybe us real drivers will show you how to do it with 53' of trailer behind you.:happy-very:
i hope to gain that experience so i may be a feeder when i grow up:wink2:

:bow: