How do you think this will affect current UPS negotiations?

PT Car Washer

Looks more like a souped up cruise control. A driver will still have to be behind the wheel ready to take over when something unexpected comes up.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Looks more like a souped up cruise control. A driver will still have to be behind the wheel ready to take over when something unexpected comes up.

Talk about re action time. Even if something happens with a person sitting in the seat. Odds of them correcting the situation. Is impossible.
I still believe ups buying a train company would be more of a up side. Then autonomous vehicles

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Many people love to drive their vehicles.... to have 100% autonomous vehicles running around is going to be a hard sale... even in the distant future...

BigBrown1234

Here's the thing, self driving trucks are definitely the future, the tech is already right there. My guess is though that for the next decade or more you'll see laws popping up to prevent it. The bottom line is that America, or rather the middle/working class, can't afford to lose trucking after it's lost manufacturing.

Iv been with UPS for over 20 years.
Iv seen automation and tech replace a lot of jobs. Orion, edd, I work in a small center and we used to run 45 routs daily.(10 years ago) After tech kicked in we now run approx 37 routes daily. That is a major change considering the local cities we deliver to have grown by at least 10% every year.

UPS has also been updating is hubs that has resulted in a lot of teamster positions being deleted.

People don’t notice the changes because they usually don’t really affect the seniority personnel.

dudebro

Iv been with UPS for over 20 years.
Iv seen automation and tech replace a lot of jobs. Orion, edd, I work in a small center and we used to run 45 routs daily.(10 years ago) After tech kicked in we now run approx 37 routes daily. That is a major change considering the local cities we deliver to have grown by at least 10% every year.

UPS has also been updating is hubs that has resulted in a lot of teamster positions being deleted.

People don’t notice the changes because they usually don’t really affect the seniority personnel.
This is true. historically as a company we shrink through attrition. we haven't had to throw people on the street

dudebro

Dont get too far ahead of yourselves. A GPS system still isnt all that accurate after being mainstream tech for 10 plus years.
Depends where. In metro areas that don't have really tall buildings, it's gnats ass. The dot my phone puts on my house shows what room I'm in pretty accurately. It might not work in the boonies away from everything, but you don't have to change the whole system at once.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Depends where. In metro areas that don't have really tall buildings, it's gnats ass. The dot my phone puts on my house shows what room I'm in pretty accurately. It might not work in the boonies away from everything, but you don't have to change the whole system at once.

Very true. I'm in the boonies. There are spots where they can see where I am. But for 5 hrs a day they have no clue. I even get a prompt saying there is info to send. When it is a heavy cloudy day with snow or rain. Nothing works. They usually text me thru my phone. Spotty cell service. But a text sneaks thru eventually.

dudebro

I was used to the NYC area on the East Coast where we can pretty much cover everything with GPS / cell reception, then I went on a deployment in Monterey, California for one of the systems. With all of the canyons, arroyos, and whatever else, the systems are blind most of the day in some areas. It was eye opening coming from an area where cell/GPS was a given.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was used to the NYC area on the East Coast where we can pretty much cover everything with GPS / cell reception, then I went on a deployment in Monterey, California for one of the systems. With all of the canyons, arroyos, and whatever else, the systems are blind most of the day in some areas. It was eye opening coming from an area where cell/GPS was a given.

You should have driven 5 hours to the north—-parts of the Adirondacks still lack full cell coverage.