How do you think this will affect current UPS negotiations?

brown_trousers

Nah, any invention that allows people to be more lazy is successful. These cars will be especially useful for commuting longer distances 1hr +. Idk about you but if I could sit in the back of my car, drink my coffee, read the paper etc on my way to work that would be awesome. For personal cars, it's really not that far off. And the tech is beginning to be much safer at driving than the human. Yes there are accidents still but in time it will be better. Think about drunk driving? This tech could greatly reduce those statistics.

Also I'm not necessarily advocating for this tech as I know it will and could hurt our industry. But people on BC like to ignore the fact that the tech is already here and is getting the kinks worked out. It's going to be a reality much quicker than you think.

the big obstacle is regulations and laws. They cant implement these vehicles without changing and creating a lot of laws. government will drag their feet for a many, many more years than is necessary. because that is just the pace of government.

Just imagine how simple and quick a process it is to ship a package. then go wait in line at USPS and see just how incredibly slow and incompetent the government is when trying to do the simplest of jobs. the same concept will apply to automated vehicles.

F

Frankie's Friend

Automation is already safer than people. The only difference is, people expect other people to make mistakes and tolerate it, and they expect automation never to make any.
Thats not what researchers are saying now.
Unfortunately, the cars are struggling to pick up bicycle riders and small moving objects like kids.
They say everyone in that category would need a sensor attached to them to graph them into the affected proximity area.
We are breeding fatal hypotheses while calling it progress.

brown_trousers

Did you miss the part where the police determined that the pedestrian was clearly at fault and that neither an automated or human driver would have been able to react in time to have avoided hitting her?

As a professional "human" driver yourself. would you have been driving that fast down a dark road with practically no visibility?

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Thats not what researchers are saying now.
Unfortunately, the cars are struggling to pick up bicycle riders and small moving objects like kids.
They say everyone in that category would need a sensor attached to them to graph them into the affected proximity area.
We are breeding fatal hypotheses while calling it progress.
Well when we all get our "666" chips implanted maybe that will be one of the features. Lol

OrionsBitch

Not...
As a professional "human" driver yourself. would you have been driving that fast down a dark road with practically no visibility?
There are always exceptions. How many of our "professional" drivers rear-end drivers, back into houses, fences, gutters, signs, etc everyday?

No, I don't think autonomous vehicles are better drivers than humans. But don't act like humans are perfect either. You're on the road everyday.....look how many idiots you see making decisions that are just as dumb if not more dumb than the autonomous vehicle that ran over the biker.

F

Frankie's Friend

There are always exceptions. How many of our "professional" drivers rear-end drivers, back into houses, fences, gutters, signs, etc everyday?

No, I don't think autonomous vehicles are better drivers than humans. But don't act like humans are perfect either. You're on the road everyday.....look how many idiots you see making decisions that are just as dumb if not more dumb than the autonomous vehicle that ran over the biker.
You must be @Dragon 's brother?
"Everyday"? Get real dude.

F

Frankie's Friend

We had 3 drivers get stuck on the same day after we were told specifically during the PCM to stay out of residential drivers as they were becoming soft.

Collectively, those drivers lost 6 hours and cost the center nearly $2K in tow fees.
Did you go ahead and eat your lunch while you were waiting on the tow truck to show up?

$2,000.00 to pull out 3 trucks?
I say you're lying.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did you go ahead and eat your lunch while you were waiting on the tow truck to show up?

$2,000.00 to pull out 3 trucks?
I say you're lying.

I wasn't one of the drivers but, yes, I would have not only taken my lunch but would have also sorted the car while I was waiting.

I am just relaying what we told----you can believe it or not, I really don't GAF.

F

Frankie's Friend

I wasn't one of the drivers but, yes, I would have not only taken my lunch but would have also sorted the car while I was waiting.

I am just relaying what we (were) told----you can believe it or not, I really don't GAF.
Neither do i. Im glad you believe everything you are told by management.

PT Car Washer

I am just relaying what we told----you can believe it or not, I really don't GAF.
They always send one of the big tow trucks. The ones used for pulling semis out of the ditch after a big snowstorm. This winter we had one of our air drivers get stuck on a downtown city street driving a Dodge Provan. Sent one of the big semi tow trucks to pull her up the hill a couple blocks. Could have just used a shovel.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They always send one of the big tow trucks. The ones used for pulling semis out of the ditch after a big snowstorm. This winter we had one of our air drivers get stuck on a downtown city street driving a Dodge Provan. Sent one of the big semi tow trucks to pull her up the hill a couple blocks. Could have just used a shovel.

We have an arrangement with a local repair shop.

The point I was trying to make was not about the dollar amount but about the unnecessary delays and expenses, especially after we were specifically told to stay out of suspect driveways.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

The point I was trying to make was not about the dollar amount but about the unnecessary delays and expenses, especially after we were specifically told to stay out of suspect driveways.

What, and walk them off

Nobody got time for that

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Did you miss the part where the police determined that the pedestrian was clearly at fault and that neither an automated or human driver would have been able to react in time to have avoided hitting her?

Human Driver Could Have Avoided Fatal Uber Crash, Experts Say

Zachary Moore, a senior forensic engineer at Wexco International Corp. who has reconstructed vehicle accidents and other incidents for more than a decade, analyzed the video footage and concluded that a typical driver on a dry asphalt road would have perceived, reacted, and activated their brakes in time to stop about eight feet shortof Herzberg.

Volvo, the manufacturer of the car, stated that their anti-collision systems would have stopped the car short of hitting her.

If, they had not been disabled.

F

Frankie's Friend

"Suspect driveways". Which ones are those einstein?
Orion says turn around in drive. Drive has gravel on surface.
Driver gets stuck due to lack of large bed stone underneath.
You mock three drivers.
It never ends...
at least for 3 more weeks (we hope).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"Suspect driveways". Which ones are those einstein?
Orion says turn around in drive. Drive has gravel on surface.
Driver gets stuck due to lack of large bed stone underneath.
You mock three drivers.
It never ends...
at least for 3 more weeks (we hope).

Anyone who has ever had a country or rural route knows right away which driveways are OK and which ones they need to stay out of.

F

Frankie's Friend

Anyone who has ever had a country or rural route knows right away which driveways are OK and which ones they need to stay out of.
Evidently your "anyone" statement is false as usual. Three of your drivers got stuck (if that is even true) or did you just want to belittle coworkers to elevate your vast level of wisdom.

We've had 6 inches of rain in two days preceeded by two weeks of rainfall almost every day. The gravel driveways all sink right now.
Taking a chance on what looks like a good driving surface vs walking off 200-1000 foot driveways always seems a better choice.
If i had 110 stops in the country and got stuck one time it shows that most drives were ok.
I guess we could all EC any address's driveway that we dont want to drive down and have the boss mad with 40 send agains.

I wish every driver was as perfect as you have been all these years.
Then again, there would have been a lot of jaywalkers struck down and Lord knows, the cost of those incidents would make the tow bills insignificant.
Get a life dude.