How do you think this will affect current UPS negotiations?

I was used to the NYC area on the East Coast where we can pretty much cover everything with GPS / cell reception, then I went on a deployment in Monterey, California for one of the systems. With all of the canyons, arroyos, and whatever else, the systems are blind most of the day in some areas. It was eye opening coming from an area where cell/GPS was a given.
You should have driven in 1997. Didn’t have to worry about it at all.

dudebro

After the incident yesterday in which a pedestrian was killed by a driverless car.....I'd have to think they'll table the discussion for now.

CASE CLOSED!!
You're out of your mind.

That car had a human driver supervising it, who didn't react to the woman either.

Apparently she was walking on the dark median of the highway in dark clothing and suddenly walked out in front of the Uber car with her bicycle.

This had nothing to do with faulty automation, it was just a tragedy. Automated or not, physics still apply - you can't bring a car from 35 mph to a stop in 10 feet.

brown_trousers

You're out of your mind.

That car had a human driver supervising it, who didn't react to the woman either.

Apparently she was walking on the dark median of the highway in dark clothing and suddenly walked out in front of the Uber car with her bicycle.

This had nothing to do with faulty automation, it was just a tragedy. Automated or not, physics still apply - you can't bring a car from 35 mph to a stop in 10 feet.

The automation wasnt faulty, there were no reports of mafunctioning electronics. It was performing just as it was programmed to. it just shows that automation is not safe and cant make the safe decisions that a human driver can.

And while the car couldnt stop within that 10ft at 35mph, it could have at least slowed down a bit, swerved, used high beams, recognized the low visibility of that street, etc...

dudebro

Automation is already safer than people. The only difference is, people expect other people to make mistakes and tolerate it, and they expect automation never to make any.

brown_trousers

Automation is already safer than people. The only difference is, people expect other people to make mistakes and tolerate it, and they expect automation never to make any.

Depends what people. I would say its no where near as safe as a UPS driver. We probably average way more miles per accident than automated cars do

BigBrown1234

Top 5 causes for traffic accidents are
1. Speeding
2.distracted driving
3.alcohol/drug use
4. Fatigue
5. Not obeying traffic signs

AI vehicles are already logging thousands of hours with considerable lower incident rates comparable to humans

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Top 5 causes for traffic accidents are
1. Speeding
2.distracted driving
3.alcohol/drug use
4. Fatigue
5. Not obeying traffic signs

AI vehicles are already logging thousands of hours with considerable lower incident rates comparable to humans

Remember (HAL) from 2001 Space Odyssey.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
You're out of your mind.

Are you a Teamster?

Observer

I think after that accident in Arizone there will be more restrictions put in place. IF and when it happens it will be at least 8 years to get all of the kinks out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think after that accident in Arizone there will be more restrictions put in place. IF and when it happens it will be at least 8 years to get all of the kinks out.

Did you miss the part where the police determined that the pedestrian was clearly at fault and that neither an automated or human driver would have been able to react in time to have avoided hitting her?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Did you miss the part where the police determined that the pedestrian was clearly at fault and that neither an automated or human driver would have been able to react in time to have avoided hitting her?
Human Driver Could Have Avoided Fatal Uber Crash, Experts Say

Zachary Moore, a senior forensic engineer at Wexco International Corp. who has reconstructed vehicle accidents and other incidents for more than a decade, analyzed the video footage and concluded that a typical driver on a dry asphalt road would have perceived, reacted, and activated their brakes in time to stop about eight feet shortof Herzberg.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Human Driver Could Have Avoided Fatal Uber Crash, Experts Say

Zachary Moore, a senior forensic engineer at Wexco International Corp. who has reconstructed vehicle accidents and other incidents for more than a decade, analyzed the video footage and concluded that a typical driver on a dry asphalt road would have perceived, reacted, and activated their brakes in time to stop about eight feet shortof Herzberg.

Thank you for posting a counter rather than just "wrong".

The local police investigation had a much different result.

OrionsBitch

Not...
Many people love to drive their vehicles.... to have 100% autonomous vehicles running around is going to be a hard sale... even in the distant future...
Nah, any invention that allows people to be more lazy is successful. These cars will be especially useful for commuting longer distances 1hr +. Idk about you but if I could sit in the back of my car, drink my coffee, read the paper etc on my way to work that would be awesome. For personal cars, it's really not that far off. And the tech is beginning to be much safer at driving than the human. Yes there are accidents still but in time it will be better. Think about drunk driving? This tech could greatly reduce those statistics.

Also I'm not necessarily advocating for this tech as I know it will and could hurt our industry. But people on BC like to ignore the fact that the tech is already here and is getting the kinks worked out. It's going to be a reality much quicker than you think.