How much to set aside for truck maintenance and purchase

dandan14

I'm still considering the purchase of 3 PSAs and 2 supps. How much should I be figuring for truck maintenance? How much should I be setting aside each month for the purchase of new trucks? (About how long (miles) does a freightliner P1000 typically last?)

Sick_of_FedEx

Maintenance will vary tremendously depending on a number of variables. The make, model, mileage and condition of the vehicles. And, the routes they run. Are they in-town or rural? Dirt or paved roads? Long rural routes with dirt roads will increase your maintenance tremendously - they eat up tires and rattle everything loose. I did $28,000 on maintenance in 2012 on just 3 trucks. I'm running 4 trucks this year and in the first 8 months of 2013 I have spent over $46,000. That includes, tires, oil changes, transmission work, broken windshields, oil leaks, injectors, fuel pumps, etc... A Freightliner P1000 should get 750K miles or more if well maintained. If you are purchasing routes from FedEx, don't do it. You will rue the day.

serco

Stay away from any truck that packs a v6 or v8 international deisel engine the newer ones will absolutely positively bankrupt you without a doubt. ( exept the 7.3 this is the only good one!)