How responsible are we for DR packages that go missing???

brown_trousers

I vaguely remember this subject being briefly discussed during driver training some 5 years ago. I'm just wondering if we are financially responsible for driver releasing a package, and then discovering that the package is stolen/missing. Anyone have any experiences with this?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have never paid for a single package and I have been delivering since 1984. I have heard of drivers doing stupid things like leaving packages in the rain with no DR bags on them. One guy I know got to make monthly payments on a mink coat because of that. Out of sight and out of weather means just that.

Last edited:

ChadBrunn

This subject came up at a PCM. Our union steward said UPS cannot make you pay for a package that was a bad DR (weather or stolen)

brown_trousers

I've never actually received concrete rules regarding releasing packages, except of course that we can't DR to apartments, multi-unit housing, or businesses. I'm always a bit weary of releasing a package to a porch on a busy street, even if I can leave it out of site, I just feel a bit uneasy about it... especially with packages that look expensive like laptops or cell phones.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Read your contract.

Read the driver release certification.

Your steward is wrong.
Talk about bad advice. Read your contract, but sign something the contract clearly dictates that you don't sign? DONT SIGN ANYTHING!! Don't listen to up-Yours. He is management in disguise.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Talk about bad advice. Read your contract, but sign something the contract clearly dictates that you don't sign? DONT SIGN ANYTHING!! Don't listen to up-Yours. He is management in disguise.

Did I say sign the DR certification? I said read it, which is perhaps what you should have done before replying. BTW, it doesn't matter whether you sign it or not, you are still bound by the document.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Why read it if you aren't signing it? I believe you have said that YOU signed it. I live in the State of New York where it is illegal to garnish your wages for any work related losses. Go annoy someone else.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why read it if you aren't signing it? I believe you have said that YOU signed it. I live in the State of New York where it is illegal to garnish your wages for any work related losses. Go annoy someone else.

If your statement about garnishment is true (which it is not) how can you explain employees who have had to pay for COD shortages or for bad DR's?

You may want to re-read Article 10 Loss and Damage

menotyou

bella amicizia
If you steal or do not correctly follow procedure, then you are liable. If you follow correct procedure, they can not garnish. I don't need to read anything, except the recommendation for surgery from my doctor. And, my comp benefit/check that Liberty disperses for UPS, as stated on every check.

Why didn't the actual guilty party who destroyed the $23,000 package have to re-pay that to UPS? How about asking the teacher in Syracuse that one, smartypants? I guess not every one does have to re-pay, do they?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Oh, my I FAILED to leave out if you are a skank and steal. Wow. Glad the belt, I mean post, police grabbed that one. Wow. Can you imagine the catastrophe that could have happened if that one got by? Man, I am sooooo glad we have you around. Boy, that was a close one. Whew!

S

speeddemon

We had a driver a few years ago try to be held responsible for a package that he driver released, and all procedures were followed. It pissed everyone else off in the center so much, we started to get signatures for quite a bit of our residential stops. Needless to say, after a while, they let that one go. You know, I don't care if you follow those methods perfectly, once in a while, some jerkoff is gonna steal a box. Its just part of the business.