how sale reps are paid..

over9five

Staff member
Well, this will be my first post, but as a female SSR (entry level sales rep for those who may not know the sales rep business structure) I feel the need to explain a few things.....
Great first post, Aleigh. Welcome to the BrownCafe! Hopefully you'll stick around and continue to post, it was good to hear a rebuttal from an SSR.

I don't know how you can get anything done after the 6 sales calls per day. I imagine that takes your whole 8 hours. Spend an hour with the customer, and then add travel time between customers. I think you would have to go over your 8 every day....

rocket man

I belive they are on internships company gets good tax break and they tell the stock holders we have people out there selling .

705red

Browncafe Steward
There is more to selling than just visiting the account.....go read any book on sales and then you will only begin to start to understand.
You mean like knowing what color labels go on the package?

Are you kidding me, we have a ground service, 3 day, 2nd day, nda, early am, international, hundred weight, ups freight. If you could give me the pricing book i can close something this easy.

Your not having people investing every dime they have into some stock your pushing, we have been around long enough with a great reputation, if you cant close a deal with this kind of support you might want to go gather the shopping carts in the parking lot at the local walmart.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have a great idea. How about spending as much time educating the drivers and sups on service issues as depth of knowledge?

I called in to find out for sure, the maximum total dimensions a pkg can be. I was pretty sure it was 165, but I didnt want to make my customer wrap this monstrosity, only to find out I was incorrect. Oms didnt know, sup told me 150, I called customer service myself........
Long story short, we cant service our customers if we dont know the services. A short course on how to run worldship, our customers would appreciate greatly a driver who could help them get to the right place, not that we have time but................

I dont even know why I waste my typing fingers. Nothing will ever change.

Bad Gas!

We have a couple of young hot babes in the sales force of our building..It always brightens the morning to see a couple of sunshines.They will probably be drug reps soon with thier flat bellies...Have you ever seen some of the drug reps that go around bribing doctors with free lunches?

upsgrunt

I have a great idea. How about spending as much time educating the drivers and sups on service issues as depth of knowledge?

I called in to find out for sure, the maximum total dimensions a pkg can be. I was pretty sure it was 165, but I didnt want to make my customer wrap this monstrosity, only to find out I was incorrect. Oms didnt know, sup told me 150, I called customer service myself........
Long story short, we cant service our customers if we dont know the services. A short course on how to run worldship, our customers would appreciate greatly a driver who could help them get to the right place, not that we have time but................

I dont even know why I waste my typing fingers. Nothing will ever change.

Not to go off topic, but is there a MAXIMUM anymore? Seems like UPS will take anything, any size, any weight, and then just add on extra charges.

beentheredonethat

You mean like knowing what color labels go on the package?

Are you kidding me, we have a ground service, 3 day, 2nd day, nda, early am, international, hundred weight, ups freight. If you could give me the pricing book i can close something this easy.

Your not having people investing every dime they have into some stock your pushing, we have been around long enough with a great reputation, if you cant close a deal with this kind of support you might want to go gather the shopping carts in the parking lot at the local walmart.

Red, It's not as easy as you may think. Let's just take NDA and Saver, what zip codes can service Saver?, What zip codes are in a one day ground transit from customer. If in one day transit, how can UPS assist in getting my Worldship so it will not let me ship (or at least prompt me) to not ship air in a one day territory. Also, the AE's had to deal with the after effects of the 97 work stoppage, then another contract proposal most customers thought was all set for 2008 way before the deadline. Then comes the posturing of another work stoppage in Chicago. Don't think for a minute that FDX didn't use that against us. Also, Let me ask you something, if you owned a company that depends heavily on you being able to ship out and you already got burned in Aug of 97. Would you ship all (or even most) of your shipments with a carrier that has a union work force that either goes on strike, or threatens to go on strike?

The LTL world has many other competitors out there, these customers get 70 even 80 % of the Czar rates, but the fuel surcharge is way higher in LTL then in small pkg. (But you still have to know what each is).

Then there's information to give customer to keep the Finance, procurement, etc departments happy.

It's not an easy job they have, (Heck, no one at UPS has an easy job).

Here's another one to think about. You work your butt off, finally getting your foot in the door and getting them to try UPS, you put pricing together, work with customer on all their issues, and then also work on their pickup times etc with center team. They test us out for a small percentage of their work, and tell us on Friday AM, that they are switching 100% to UPS next week. You just made over a 1 million/yr sale, and will earn yourself a good commision on this. Then the driver who's been on route for the week, that was trained for pickup time etc, decides to make the pickup earlier then scheduled. (Ltr box - scans show we were too early). Customer ships out after driver came hundreds of ltrs. All now late. Customer backs off, and keeps all work with FDX. At worst driver got a warning ltr. You however lost thousands in your bonus. How would that make you feel? Months of work, down the drain by one mistake. Definitely would have been different story if we had been in place for months, but we were still on a testing time line.

Are there bad AE's out there, sure. But you can say that about pretty much every position we have, (drivers, Preloaders, on roads, ctr mgrs, finance, AE's, IE etc) Mostly good, hard working folks, but there's some bad apples out there.

Just trying to let you know, there's two sides to each story. Want to make sure you guys heard a bit of the other side.

(PS, No, it wasn't me that lost the sale on this)

paidslave

I wish that was true. Marketing and communications have redesigned the Business Solutions sub-site on UPS.com several times and customer usage is abysmal. Common feedback is that the customer wants to hear it from a human in an interactive conversation. We are working on having "live chat" to help the UPS.com user when it "appears" they are stuck on certain pages. At some point when the customer is looking for information on UPS.com and indication is that they are unsuccessful, a live chat session will pop-up and a Customer Service Rep will offer to help.

Live session will pop up live from INDIA or some other off shore country! I certainly don't think that for a live chat UPS is going to pay someone a decent wage anyway! It could probably be left for stay at home moms part time!

Speed Demon

can someone explain how sales reps are paid? If I turn in a solid lead that starts using ups, does the rep who sets the account up get a cut...even though I did all of the work? Does anyone know an average yearly salary of a account rep.

Most "Reps" that Service Providers may see or deal with on a regular basis are classified as SSR's, or Sales Support Representatives. They are salaried employees restricted to 40 hours per week. They are non-MIP management employees. Their primary area of responsibility is the set-up of new accounts in the small account segment (1-2pkg/day type customers), as well as servicing accounts of that size in their geographic area and reactively visiting Inside Sales accounts (accounts managed by a teleservicing agent).

Other sales people (UPS small package only) you may come in contact with in your Centers each day may be Account Managers, Senior Account Managers, National Account Executives, Strategic Account Managers, Area Sales Managers, Strategic Account Area Sales Managers, and Directors of Sales. These people either directly manage accounts or oversee people that directly manage accounts. Account Managers and Account Executives are assigned a specific group of accounts and only manage that group of accounts, which is why you typically won't see them involved with your sales leads (unless the lead is associated with one of their assigned accounts).

Regarding your question about whether the Sales Rep gets a cut, the answer is no since they are on salary only. If, however, the account is large enough to get assigned to an Account Manager, then sales commissions do come into play.

Regarding salary, I'm going to guess they probably average half or less what an average Service Provider earns in a year. As a person progresses into the other positions, though, base pay and the potential for commissions (they're not guaranteed) increase.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Red, It's not as easy as you may think. Let's just take NDA and Saver, what zip codes can service Saver?, What zip codes are in a one day ground transit from customer. If in one day transit, how can UPS assist in getting my Worldship so it will not let me ship (or at least prompt me) to not ship air in a one day territory. Also, the AE's had to deal with the after effects of the 97 work stoppage, then another contract proposal most customers thought was all set for 2008 way before the deadline. Then comes the posturing of another work stoppage in Chicago. Don't think for a minute that FDX didn't use that against us. Also, Let me ask you something, if you owned a company that depends heavily on you being able to ship out and you already got burned in Aug of 97. Would you ship all (or even most) of your shipments with a carrier that has a union work force that either goes on strike, or threatens to go on strike?

The LTL world has many other competitors out there, these customers get 70 even 80 % of the Czar rates, but the fuel surcharge is way higher in LTL then in small pkg. (But you still have to know what each is).

Then there's information to give customer to keep the Finance, procurement, etc departments happy.

It's not an easy job they have, (Heck, no one at UPS has an easy job).

Here's another one to think about. You work your butt off, finally getting your foot in the door and getting them to try UPS, you put pricing together, work with customer on all their issues, and then also work on their pickup times etc with center team. They test us out for a small percentage of their work, and tell us on Friday AM, that they are switching 100% to UPS next week. You just made over a 1 million/yr sale, and will earn yourself a good commision on this. Then the driver who's been on route for the week, that was trained for pickup time etc, decides to make the pickup earlier then scheduled. (Ltr box - scans show we were too early). Customer ships out after driver came hundreds of ltrs. All now late. Customer backs off, and keeps all work with FDX. At worst driver got a warning ltr. You however lost thousands in your bonus. How would that make you feel? Months of work, down the drain by one mistake. Definitely would have been different story if we had been in place for months, but we were still on a testing time line.

Are there bad AE's out there, sure. But you can say that about pretty much every position we have, (drivers, Preloaders, on roads, ctr mgrs, finance, AE's, IE etc) Mostly good, hard working folks, but there's some bad apples out there.

Just trying to let you know, there's two sides to each story. Want to make sure you guys heard a bit of the other side.

(PS, No, it wasn't me that lost the sale on this)

This statement really pisses me off to hear because the senario that I have seen over and over again is the driver, or business rep, go after an account and pretty much beg for the volume. The customer doesnt want to switch from the competition, but does, after ups promises them better SERVICE. Well, the account switches over and things are going good for a week or two until the center is told to cut out a route or two. Now this customer who was getting solid delivery and pickup times are all over the board. The customer now starts complaining and starts shipping more with the competition again, and guess what, now there is no way in hell were going to be able to get back in there and "fix" things. That volume is gone for good, and it wasnt because of the driver, or sales rep, and probably not even the center, but from IE and maybe upper level mgt. It is so counterproductive its sickening.
How many accounts have ups lost in the past because of this, I really dont even want to know. Do you think this kind of thing happens to fedex, probably not to the extent it happens here. Management is pushing sales leads, but then is "pushing" these new customers away with their poor ideas to save a penny by stepping over a dollar. this is happening on a daily basis.
What percentage of churn is because of the numbers game???

coldworld, u hit the nail on the freakin head, exactly what u said happens everyday at our center... solid delivery/pu times then they cut runs, move pu's around, things only a driver would understand, but someone in an office hundreds of miles away has the "plan". :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: the plan

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
For the most part, pickup times are usually on schedule. A little communication between shipper and driver goes a long way in solving this. But the last 2 posts are absolutly correct, SERVICE (its still in our name right?) has taken a backseat to the mighty dollar. Sorry reps, you can't promise service to these people anymore. You can shake hands on the cost of a next day air, but drivers have a tough time when dispatch screws them over daily.

beentheredonethat

This statement really pisses me off to hear because the senario that I have seen over and over again is the driver, or business rep, go after an account and pretty much beg for the volume. The customer doesnt want to switch from the competition, but does, after ups promises them better SERVICE. Well, the account switches over and things are going good for a week or two until the center is told to cut out a route or two. Now this customer who was getting solid delivery and pickup times are all over the board. The customer now starts complaining and starts shipping more with the competition again, and guess what, now there is no way in hell were going to be able to get back in there and "fix" things. That volume is gone for good, and it wasnt because of the driver, or sales rep, and probably not even the center, but from IE and maybe upper level mgt. It is so counterproductive its sickening.
How many accounts have ups lost in the past because of this, I really dont even want to know. Do you think this kind of thing happens to fedex, probably not to the extent it happens here. Management is pushing sales leads, but then is "pushing" these new customers away with their poor ideas to save a penny by stepping over a dollar. this is happening on a daily basis.
What percentage of churn is because of the numbers game???

Cold World, I'll agree with you that UPS does tend to walk over a dollar to pick up a nickel. This attitude does cost us with customers. However, in the example I provided, this wasn't the case. The driver got to box routinely at quarter of the hour, but pickup wasn't supposed to be made til the hour. Every day (Mon - Thur) driver waited and no one dropped off any letters during those 15 minutes. On Friday, the driver got there scanned the box, and decided to leave. This was the day the customer shipped (a lot) during those last 15 minutes. When the driver was asked, he said that he didn't think it was a big deal to leave early since they didn't drop anything off the last 4 days during that time. That was his last stop of the day, before heading for an air mt point and then back to ctr.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He had better be careful in doing that as GPS will show his location when he "closed" out the drop box. I have a drop box that I wait on and I would leave to get done a bit earlier but just my luck someone will drop something in to the box after I leave and then call and complain.