How should company fix peak problems?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was speaking about peaks in general. There is usually 4 - 5 days where the system is pushed beyond capacity and has to catch up.
My contention is that when this happens, the plan is working as planned.
If year after year UPS continues to exceed this 4 to 5 day over-capacity situation, then UPS will probably look at the infrastructure of the UPS US system.
I know that the US ground volume has not decreased as much as predicted over the last 5 years.
Surepost had something to do with that but pure ground has held on better than expected.

Maybe this peak will be the final straw/turning point.

Many of our hubs and large centers are based on outdated technologies and design.
Many of our hubs were not designed for 53 foot trailers.

Let's talk about this in 5 years!

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I will have to take your word on that (locally) for this peak.
I saw the ebb and flow across the nation and it seemed like another tough peak until the ice storms hit the country and then it fell apart.

I was speaking about peaks in general. There is usually 4 - 5 days where the system is pushed beyond capacity and has to catch up.

Has anyone noticed that Amazon manages to handle their peak spike and get all the orders processed timely? We should ask them for advice next year. Get Mr. Peak on that tomorrow.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Has anyone noticed that Amazon manages to handle their peak spike and get all the orders processed timely? We should ask them for advice next year. Get Mr. Peak on that tomorrow.
And maybe the vehicle rental companies can take some advice from Amazon and UPS on how to have trucks available for UPS and FedEx to rent for 4 weeks out of the year.
But the rental companies can't go up on their prices even though no one else needs all those trucks the other 48 months out of the year.
Mr. Peak may say but some damn package cars, hire some drivers and build some hub capacity.

Regional distribution centers where they shovel the boxes into trailers and wait for us to pick them up. Tough peak.

If we could take trailers full of packages out to a town, drop them on main street, and have the customers come dig their stuff out for themselves then we'd have the equivalent.

But as long as we're the ones who take every step from the point we unload the packages until we hand them to the customer then we have a lot tougher job than they do.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I will have to take your word on that (locally) for this peak.
I saw the ebb and flow across the nation and it seemed like another tough peak until the ice storms hit the country and then it fell apart.

I noticed you have been falling back on the weather/ice storm angle quite a bit.
This early winter (since Thanksgiving), the weather largely cooperated with business and commerce.
A major storm on a wide scale and affecting operations within a larger population base, would have truly backed up the system. If anything, this was a reasonably well-behaved peak, concerning the weather. UPS can thank mother nature for that.

40andOut

How about this?????Hoaxster said:
I understand it is therapeutic to get all emotional and release anger and frustrations. I do it too but at some point, you have to get back to reality and the business at hand.

The people who you feel should be held accountable are the ones that approved the plans and they are very good at spinning things so the blame never gets put on them. So realistically, forget that.

The people who are so vociferous about the "UPS fail" are not the decision makers deciding whether UPS will be getting the volume or not. For the most part, they are the "National Enquirer" media (pretty much all of the media I guess) and the consignees. Consignees almost never are the decision makers but if some did select UPS NDA, hopefully they got their packages.

The real decision makers will look at UPS and make them the scapegoat but will in the safe enclosure of their meeting rooms, acknowledge that UPS did a very good job (much better than FedEx) and go about their business until next peak. One thing is for sure, they will not float the option of paying UPS or other carriers the extra money to invest in capacity to handle their peak 4 or 5 days of volume and in particularly, the last 3 days before Christmas in 2014.

UPS will continue to get the bad press and Amazon can have plausible deniability and the wheel keeps on turning.

The Teamsters will not accept any blame either. It will be the same as always, UPS will take the blame and until next time. Same old, Same old.
Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...fix-peak-problems.354132/page-5#ixzz2oXPhLCUV

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We are already extending rollers to the center isles between where the trucks are parked, to load up rentals and package cars.

There is an empty building and parking lot next door to us. I heard UPS owns that building, and I foresee it being a site of a not-so-distant expansion.
Same situation here, there is talk of turning our building into a hub to help take the pressure of the other hubs in the area.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only issue that I could possibly think of are those locals who insist upon extorting dues and initiation fees from seasonal workers as limiting the supply of qualified applicants; beyond that the Union played no role in this regional failure.