How should company fix peak problems?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

So, what can be done about the under-staffing situation? Again, not only may it not be cost-effective to have personnel and facilities for the most part idling during the year for 4-5 days of peak, but most people don't want to work that kind of shift as well; they will turn down a position seen as temporary, or if they only work 2 or 3 days a week they may quit. How can this be managed? Is the cost necessary in the long run?

BTW, Hoax I do hope ground is proving to be more profitable and have more staying power than it was thought; that could lead to the much needed beefing up the infrastructure needs. Also, you suggested that behind closed doors execs for major retailers would feel UPS did better than FedEx. Why?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So, what can be done about the under-staffing situation? Again, not only may it not be cost-effective to have personnel and facilities for the most part idling during the year for 4-5 days of peak, but most people don't want to work that kind of shift as well; they will turn down a position seen as temporary, or if they only work 2 or 3 days a week they may quit. How can this be managed? Is the cost necessary in the long run?

BTW, Hoax I do hope ground is proving to be more profitable and have more staying power than it was thought; that could lead to the much needed beefing up the infrastructure needs. Also, you suggested that behind closed doors execs for major retailers would feel UPS did better than FedEx. Why?
FedEx turned down the volume and UPS tried to suck it up.
FedEx did not even try ... at least UPS did.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
OK 25Plus and BUG ... I now know what you are talking about.

The context here is contract negotiations and PR.
When UPS and the Teamsters negotiate a contract and all the PR comes out about it, the Teamsters say how much they got for the workers and the company got screwed. UPS just lets it slide and takes it because it is the right thing to do for long term relationships.

UPS and Amazon will do the same thing. Amazon will blame UPS and UPS will let it slide even though Amazon is the one that blew their projections and blew out the UPS system.
UPS never fights it out in the press.

I don't think the Teamsters had anything to do with this peak season fiasco.

I understand what you are saying.... now.

But I would take exception, with the statement that the Teamsters somehow "brag" about

what they got for the workers, at the expense of the company.

Sure, they crow a little.... but, always with the caveat "while allowing the company to be successful".

-Bug-

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I understand what you are saying.... now.

But I would take exception, with the statement that the Teamsters somehow "brag" about

what they got for the workers, at the expense of the company.

Sure, they crow a little.... but, always with the caveat "while allowing the company to be successful".

-Bug-
It was a trivial point to me.
The Teamster officials are elected and therefore politicians and so they have to "crow" to the members telling them how well they did so they will get reelected - maybe I'm too cynical but this seems inevitable.

Lord knows I'm sorry I used this analogy :whiteflag:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Can you imagine how bad this peak would have been if we hadn't increased the salaries of our upper management by millions per year? We dodged a bullet there.
LOL
Scott Davis's salary is probably no more than 1.5 million as of 2012 so it's virtually impossible to increase millions per year. Overall compensation, true..

Salary, check United Way upper mgmt. salary increases since 2008...they bury UPS

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The only issue that I could possibly think of are those locals who insist upon extorting dues and initiation fees from seasonal workers as limiting the supply of qualified applicants; beyond that the Union played no role in this regional failure.

Just one more thought....

Locally, back in October, the company was soliciting the drivers to provide a helper candidate.

Saying.... if they didn't.... they might not have a helper.

The real reason was.... the local university had switched from quarters, to semesters.

Qualified applicants ?? Not around here. To much easier work available.... for more money.

A friend of mine had a helper this year that was 70+ years old..... No BS.

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The Teamster officials are elected and therefore politicians and so they have to "crow" to the members telling them how well they did so they will get reelected - maybe I'm too cynical but this seems inevitable.

It's all good.... :happy:

Not saying you're wrong. (cough)

-Bug-

UPS is failing its customers at Christmas, and has been for awhile. They want more and more done with less and less. A few years ago my old package route would peak with 200 stops and now its 300 to 330 stops. Most days I could get done by 1900 and might have a couple of days getting in at 2100. Now its out past 1900 everyday and work til 2200 and miss anything that you can't deliver. I moved to feeders two years ago, because the demands on package drivers is to unrealistic. The driver who bid my route is getting crushed and discouraged. I can't blame him, because it was getting bad when I moved to feeders and it just keeps getting worse.

How would you fix it?
Deliver residential 24 hours a day. I don't know if it would be legal but I'd wouldn't mind starting at like ten at night and diverting straight residential. My boys at work think I'm crazy but I really do like delivering in the dark. Just
A small number of route per center could elevate some of the clog.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
LOL
Scott Davis's salary is probably no more than 1.5 million as of 2012 so it's virtually impossible to increase millions per year. Overall compensation, true..

Salary, check United Way upper mgmt. salary increases since 2008...they bury UPS

It takes a lot of money.... to live "that" lifestyle.

Remember this one ??

"In 1994, Mr. Aramony and two associates were indicted on 71 counts of fraud, conspiracy, tax evasion and money laundering, accused of stealing $1 million from a United Way corporate spinoff. Some $80,000 was said to have been given to his lover, Lori Villasor, and more for vacation trips with her to London, New York, Egypt and Las Vegas, and for Champagne, flowers and even a fax machine for him to send love notes.

The case was a humiliation for United Way"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/14/b...nited-way-dies-at-84.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

-Bug-

ymelord

104.46 per share at the cost of adequate work force at a wage to hire top workers. 104.46 per share at the cost of reinvestment in our infrastructure. 104.46 UPS's priority, doing the least to maintain a stock price. It has just bit them in the :censored2:. Need more balance between 104.46, and reinvestment.

disneyworld

UPS is failing its customers at Christmas, and has been for awhile. They want more and more done with less and less. A few years ago my old package route would peak with 200 stops and now its 300 to 330 stops. Most days I could get done by 1900 and might have a couple of days getting in at 2100. Now its out past 1900 everyday and work til 2200 and miss anything that you can't deliver. I moved to feeders two years ago, because the demands on package drivers is to unrealistic. The driver who bid my route is getting crushed and discouraged. I can't blame him, because it was getting bad when I moved to feeders and it just keeps getting worse.

How would you fix it?
Orion, the answer to all the worlds problems

Ouch

In my humble opinion you can't fix it. This is why I believe my statement. Since ups went public you have members of the board now. You have these members that look at numbers and numbers only. These people have never stepped foot on a package car much less been involved in an operation like this. All they are worried about is profit and how to grow the stock. Projection+amount of employees needed+growing the profit=failure. In my opinion.

bumped

What we experienced this year is the plan.
Lets hear from the old timers.
Every year is the same thing

We don't have enough drivers.
We don't have enough helpers.
We don't have enough trucks.
We don't have enough load carts.
We don't have enough Diads.

Every single year of my career.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

That is absolute BS
UPS crows how much they've saved the stockholders as much as the Teamsters have helped the employee

You like analogies Hoak
Ups wants to go 400 miles with a 20 gallon tank in a car that goes 20 MPH
RIGHT THERE IS UPS'S BUSINESS PLAN

TRY THAT IN REAL LIFE YOU RETIRED SHILL

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That is absolute BS

You like analogies Hoak

TRY THAT IN REAL LIFE YOU RETIRED SHILL
I AM SORRY YOU HAVE A BURR UP YOUR ASS DOUG.
HOPEFULLY YOU WILL GET RELIEF.
GET A GRIP AND PULL.
I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU REACT LIKE A LITTLE BABY EVERY TIME I POST SOMETHING BUT IT IS FUNNY TO ME.
PLEASE CONTINUE!