How should company fix peak problems?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I AM SORRY YOU HAVE A BURR UP YOUR ASS DOUG.
HOPEFULLY YOU WILL GET RELIEF.
GET A GRIP AND PULL.
I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU REACT LIKE A LITTLE BABY EVERY TIME I POST SOMETHING BUT IT IS FUNNY TO ME.
PLEASE CONTINUE!

Im sorry
I'm a lowly Teamster that worked 57 hours last week and my company failed miserably

I'll go and suck on sugarplums while you spin your PR scam

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Im sorry
I'm a lowly Teamster that worked 57 hours last week and my company failed miserably

I'll go and suck on sugarplums while you spin your PR scam
I'm sorry you are having a bad peak and working long hours.
I have been there and I understand those frustrations and tired to the bone feeling.
I think your frustration is clouding your ability see my alternative interpretations and viewpoints.
They are offered to help UPSers on BC get past the emotional aspects of the UPS Plan.
I certainly don't claim to understand that plan but I know UPS and at UPS, it is all about cost.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I have been there and I understand those frustrations and tired to the bone feeling.
I think your frustration is clouding your ability see my alternative interpretations and viewpoints.
They are offered to help UPSers on BC get past the emotional aspects of the UPS Plan.
I certainly don't claim to understand that plan but I know UPS and at UPS, it is all about cost.

The sad thing is this isn't a union/management issue

I feel bad for how many hours my driver sup, center manager, and OMS's had to work also because Atlanta's gameplan is to use all available driver hours instead of only using them for emergencies much like these past 5 days we've had.

Negative public press will hopefully ween this company off stockholder massages and work for the companies we guarantee our service with

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The sad thing is this isn't a union/management issue

I feel bad for how many hours my driver sup, center manager, and OMS's had to work also because Atlanta's gameplan is to use all available driver hours instead of only using them for emergencies like these past 5 days.

Negative public press will hopefully ween this company off stockholder massages and work for the companies we guarantee our service with

Hopefully that is the motivator for upper management at UPS and if they address the capacity and resource issues, those changes will have a positive effect on operations personnel workday.

40andOut

Containing costs at the expense of the dignity of workers and their families can not be morally justified. I am speaking of coarse about a company that is making record profits while deliberately under-staffing in order to squeeze out a bit more profit. My personal experience has been that I have seen my children less than 1/2 an hour...to not at all on work days during the past 4 weeks. Human work is to build up the dignity of the human person, not to break down family life and exploit the worker. I believe strongly in Capitalism, but being forced to work 12-14 hour days for weeks on end is so excessive as to be immoral. UPS was able for decades to make a good profit without forcing nearly this much overtime. So I suggest it is not a problem of UPSers getting "past the emotional aspects of the UPS Plan", but rather upper management devising business plans which totally discount the dignity of it's front line workers, including supervisors and center managers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Containing costs at the expense of the dignity of workers and their families can not be morally justified. I am speaking of coarse about a company that is making record profits while deliberately under-staffing in order to squeeze out a bit more profit. My personal experience has been that I have seen my children less than 1/2 an hour...to not at all on work days during the past 4 weeks. Human work is to build up the dignity of the human person, not to break down family life and exploit the worker. I believe strongly in Capitalism, but being forced to work 12-14 hour days for weeks on end is so excessive as to be immoral. UPS was able for decades to make a good profit without forcing nearly this much overtime. So I suggest it is not a problem of UPSers getting "past the emotional aspects of the UPS Plan", but rather upper management devising business plans which totally discount the dignity of it's front line workers, including supervisors and center managers.
Unfortunately, having industry best wages, healthcare, pension and other benefits is contra-indicative to the goals you express.
Many drivers in the last contract talks indicated they would be willing to give some of their wages and other compensation if there was language regarding hours worked.
I don't recall this being negotiated into the contract up for final approval.
Unfortunately, I don't see any remedies for your situation being implemented by UPS since there is a cost associated with adding drivers.
Hopefully 2014 brings some positive changes.

40andOut

Unfortunately, having industry best wages, healthcare, pension and other benefits is contra-indicative to the goals you express.
So you are saying it is not possible to run a profitable business while maintaining the best wages, healthcare and pension without working the employees 60+ hours a week? UPS was able to do so for decades. They always said they pay the best wages to attract the best workers. The excessive overtime now required of UPS employees can not be morally justified by a company making record profits.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
The stock price is over $104. The rest doesn't matter. I guess if the market doesn't care we don't care.

The rest does matter. The company and it's employees still have a future after the corporate pigs walk away fat & happy. Those of us that genuinely care realize how little you really do care.

pretender

FedEx turned down the volume and UPS tried to suck it up.
FedEx did not even try ... at least UPS did.

Bases on your previous posts, regarding Amazon pitting UPS and FEDEX against each other, it would seem that we missed our chance to tell Amazon to take a hike--especially if we we were not absolutely sure we could handle it.

I am watching the news this morning, and it is PR nightmare for UPS, while Amazon is coming off as the good guys because they are refunding shipping and giving credits.

cb1969

Many drivers in the last contract talks indicated they would be willing to give some of their wages and other compensation if there was language regarding hours worked.
I don't recall this being negotiated into the contract up for final approval.
Unfortunately, I don't see any remedies for your situation being implemented by UPS since there is a cost associated with adding drivers.
Hopefully 2014 brings some positive changes.

Seriously, are you kidding me???? 1 billion a quarter and you say that bull above...SERIOUSLY, YOU MUST BE JOKING....Blaming the costumers weather its amazon or grandma is just stupid...THEY are our only source of revenue! That pays for everybody's livelihood. UPS is micromanaged from way up top...Way up top is to blame...if you cut, cut and cut eventually you will be overwhelmed...TA DA...We work hard and earn what we make, period...a lot of managers do too...1 billion a quarter means cost is not the reason for not adding drivers...system overloaded means business is not the reason for not adding the workforce need to do the job. Piss Pour Planning!!!! GREED!!!! Not Doing everything you can to solve the problems when they come up...not adding and or updating equipment as needed...those are the problems. NOT people giving us money and Not me and my fellow hardworking employees!!!!

oldupsman

Bases on your previous posts, regarding Amazon pitting UPS and FEDEX against each other, it would seem that we missed our chance to tell Amazon to take a hike--especially if we we were not absolutely sure we could handle it.

I am watching the news this morning, and it is PR nightmare for UPS, while Amazon is coming off as the good guys because they are refunding shipping and giving credits.

Getting hammered on the Fox business network. This is not going away soon and will carry over to
next year.

bbsam

Staff member
FedEx turned down the volume and UPS tried to suck it up.
FedEx did not even try ... at least UPS did.
UPS also attempted to acquire TNT. Fedex didn't even try.
Seems UPS is building a reputation of bad decisions that are rooted fundamentally and become glaringly obvious from time to time.

oldngray

nowhere special
Getting hammered on the Fox business network. This is not going away soon and will carry over to
next year.

Its looking like FedEx made a smart move by refusing to pick up last minute packages they knew they couldn't deliver. All of the media is ignoring that and letting it pass by unnoticed. UPS is looking like the greedy company that picked up Christmas packages they knew they couldn't deliver.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So you are saying it is not possible to run a profitable business while maintaining the best wages, healthcare and pension without working the employees 60+ hours a week? UPS was able to do so for decades. They always said they pay the best wages to attract the best workers. The excessive overtime now required of UPS employees can not be morally justified by a company making record profits.
I'm not saying anything (same as always :innocent:).
I am simply pointing out some inconvenient aspects to others points. Devil's advocate if you will.
Now, since I got the personal deflection out of the way, for decades, UPS did not have FedEx Ground as a competitor.
UPS cannot compete with the FedEx Ground model long term.
FedEx Ground is the enemy.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS also attempted to acquire TNT. Fedex didn't even try.
Seems UPS is building a reputation of bad decisions that are rooted fundamentally and become glaringly obvious from time to time.
UPS understands that they cannot compete with Slumdog FedEx Ground and is betting their future on Logistics and International transportation.

ups1990

For those with pick up strings, wouldn't it have been nice to have kept delivering all day without any interruptions?
Yes! If our center had p/t personnel covering driver pickups for us this would have made for a smoother peak.
All or maybe the mid to heavy shippers. It was very frustrating to make P/U with a truck half full of deliveries.