How to do you get around

hi! I Work at FedEx and I'm new to the area I currently live in and was curious if I became a courier how the hell would I know where to deliver packages without some sort of gps? Does fedex use gps in there powerpads? It seems kind of like they hand you a bunch of pakages and make you decide on your own without any direction in which order pakages should be delivered, am I wrong about this? Because if im new to the area I could see myself making a delivery than the next on across town than going back across town to deliver a package that was next to the first and so on and so on.. I know UPS using Orion right? Doe fedex have something similar to that I guess is what I'm asking. Thanks for reading

Express Courier

Some routes get the stops put in order for them. Others not. You may have to put highlighter to a map and plot your stops out by hand. You might have an app on your phone to add the stops into. But in general YOU decide the best order to go in. After a while you'll learn the route. You'll learn the traffic, when to avoid a certain area because a school gets out at a certain time etc. Good luck.

Some routes get the stops put in order for them. Others not. You may have to put highlighter to a map and plot your stops out by hand. You might have an app on your phone to add the stops into. But in general YOU decide the best order to go in. After a while you'll learn the route. You'll learn the traffic, when to avoid a certain area because a school gets out at a certain time etc. Good luck.

Oh what is this app you speak on of? And I guess I just thought of this but it would help if I were to go on the route with the original driver to train me the route I guess.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Just FYI - there were actually FedEx and UPS (couriers) long before there was ever any GPS available, believe it or not....true story

BigTex61

Our station only has mapscos that's about 5 years old. If your in a fairly new area, you could get screwed. They told me to use my phone to look up addresses at the station one day during peak, but wouldn't allow the use of station WiFi to do it. So I just went out and coded the ones I couldn't find. Screw them.

Just FYI - there were actually FedEx and UPS (couriers) long before there was ever any GPS available, believe it or not....true story

Lol ya that's true I guess I was just hopeful to hear of a magical device to help me.. I suppose it's just part of the job I'm now learning..

dezguy

Go to a gas station on your route, buy a map book, get a receipt and give the receipt to your manager for reimbursement. Look at said map book and start delivering. Seems pretty simple to me.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
GPS is great but there is nothing like an old-fashioned (yet up-to-date) paper map for giving the overall big picture IMO....and they never malfunction.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
hi! I Work at FedEx and I'm new to the area I currently live in and was curious if I became a courier how the hell would I know where to deliver packages without some sort of gps? Does fedex use gps in there powerpads? It seems kind of like they hand you a bunch of pakages and make you decide on your own without any direction in which order pakages should be delivered, am I wrong about this? Because if im new to the area I could see myself making a delivery than the next on across town than going back across town to deliver a package that was next to the first and so on and so on.. I know UPS using Orion right? Doe fedex have something similar to that I guess is what I'm asking. Thanks for reading

Ever heard of a MAP???

Goldilocks

I don't understand how Memphis expects us to make service without the tools we need. And expects us to use our own phones.