How to do you get around

Goldilocks

Our station only has mapscos that's about 5 years old. If your in a fairly new area, you could get screwed. They told me to use my phone to look up addresses at the station one day during peak, but wouldn't allow the use of station WiFi to do it. So I just went out and coded the ones I couldn't find. Screw them.

They wouldn't let you use the WiFi?

MassWineGuy

I'm awful at navigation and when I began as a courier I bought a Garmin GPS. It's been invaluable. I don't use it as much now because I know my route much better, though I use it for unfamiliar on calls.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Criminy, this is starting to get disturbing. The courier of the not-so-distant future will probably curi up in the fetal position and commence to sucking his/her thumb if GPS satellites should ever go on the fritz.

It seems we're seeing the early stages of it already.

smapple

I'm not a driver, but I bought a decade old GPS from a local Goodwill for $25 and had a friend copy his Garmin map data on a SD card it hasn't failed to get me to my destination yet.

Goldilocks

Here's a simple question. Why wont the company provide Maps, GPS or Cell phones. They provide Cell Phone for the managers. How and why would they think we should have to provide this ourselves. And Cell phones are not allowed while driving or in any company vehicle. How should we run our routes.

5yearsleft

My station has always provided Map books. (Large metro area) When you are new to an area, you copy the pages for your area & laminate them, then use a dry erase marker to plot your stops. I'm a visual person, so this worked best for me.

oldngray

nowhere special
If you don't have a mapbook print out maps of your area from your computer at home. Better yet, learn where the streets are without needing to look them up.

MassWineGuy

I use my Garmin but also have a print-out of my area as a backup. I depended heavily on the GOS for the first couple of weeks. Now I only need to use it occasionally. It's stupid to ridicule that way one person navigates over another. If two people are going to the same place and one drives a Chevy while the other drives a Yugo, they'll both get there. The Yugo could possibly take a bit longer.