How to fight a rollaway accident

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Have you ever driver a manual transmission? They also have no Park. You put it in the lowest forward gear or reverse. Never leave in neutral.

For crying out loud, it's electric. No transmission like you are thinking of. Forward or backward. Add in the fact that there is no compression to help hold it, and the only thing to hold it is the parking brake.

TTKU!

FedGT

It's an electric truck. Just has a reverse drive and neutral. I always thought it had a parking gear when was using it
I wouldn't go with that story, would lead to termination by incompetence. Saying it only has a drive, reverse, and neutral then in the same sentence saying I always thought it had park??? I know you are trying to plead a case on lack of training but that doesn't even make any sense.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
And bring that video to the GFT.

I wouldn't bother with the video.

1) They can say he knew that the brakes didn't work properly when he parked the truck and should have known to turn his wheels.
2) They can say that whatever happened in the video was staged to represent whatever he wanted it to represent.

Better to go with bringing up that he wasn't trained on the vehicle. It would be a good idea to request past copies of the VIR if this vehicle has had parking brake issues in the past.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Perhaps the op could plead INSANITY.

That's what I believe I'd do. I could get a ton of character witnesses to vouch for me too.

Worth a shot

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You're not going to win this one. I've never heard of a termination due to a rollaway being overturned. I guess it doesn't hurt to try a GFT if you really want to keep your job. Just don't get your hopes up. The best thing for you to do otherwise is take that video to a good attorney and fight for unemployment benefits.

Not true. I know of at least 2 RTDs who did not set their air and got reinstated. No issues with either tractor. The electric van deal is begging for an attorney. This person needs to get one...quickly. If the brake is defective, he has a case. If the wheels were curbed I don't see how a vehicle could get away, even with a bad brake. That said, I live where there are a lot of steep hills, and I see Express vehicles all the time with uncurbed wheels, or wheels turned away from the curb. We all know how extremely well our trucks are maintained, right? I still carry a chock, and use it.

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

Not true. I know of at least 2 RTDs who did not set their air and got reinstated. No issues with either tractor. The electric van deal is begging for an attorney. This person needs to get one...quickly. If the brake is defective, he has a case. If the wheels were curbed I don't see how a vehicle could get away, even with a bad brake. That said, I live where there are a lot of steep hills, and I see Express vehicles all the time with uncurbed wheels, or wheels turned away from the curb. We all know how extremely well our trucks are maintained, right? I still carry a chock, and use it.
I guess anything is possible when one has their nose up someone's ass. Although that would open FedEx to future lawsuits.

It will be fine

In the OP's situation, will his manager get any discipline for lack of training?
I have a few trucks that only have neutral and a parking brake. I make a big deal out of it if a different driver takes one of them out. I have chocks in those trucks too and make sure the drivers know where they are. It seems pretty negligent to fail to address this before the driver leaves.