How to get over on a rookie, hehehe

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I think UPS's gameplan is more to make money to spend money and then pretend like they saved money, though.
Of course...this is the same company that sends loaders home and pays drivers to stack out their trucks making 3x the hourly rate of a new loader. But oh....they're saving money!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
That wasn't me, but I've been reading your posts for over a decade so I know. My center has some rough hoods, but where I deliver is not one of them. Quite affluent actually. (Philly western suburb.)
Im sorry, was not meant to be disrespectful, anyhoo.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I was real nice. Other than his businesses I was slammed with all day,I had them done already, I gave him what he knew, aka His work, and stopped at stuff he did not know, because I am awesome.
When the hammers in my loop got done early they would always call me first because they knew I wouldn't try to screw them, just 10-15 easy resis right up the road. You catch more flies with honey :wink2:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
When the hammers in my loop got done early they would always call me first because they knew I wouldn't try to screw them, just 10-15 easy resis right up the road. You catch more flies with honey :wink2:
Truer words never spoken, Cant say no to me. You would be marked a ....well you know. And it is amazing how much that helps a beleagured day. ( cant spell, No need to correct)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our new guys think they can look every address up on their phone and still get done.

The last one they put on the street ran a 6 hr plan in 11 hrs. We are so screwed it isn't even funny.

Our new guys will come in a half hour to an hour early, get a print out of their delivery areas and then use their phones and maps to make sure they know where all of the streets are. Yes, this is working off the clock, but to me it shows initiative and a willingness to learn.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I love when I am sent to help out and the driver tries to decide what work to give me. I go through his load and choose the section that I want to deliver.

I used to do the gravy first if I knew I was getting help later and knowing guys would do that. Pick and choose all you want buddy! Muahaha!

16tons

We are told what work we will take, central states is work as instructed until you finish dispatch AND return to building. After that, drivers choice.

Packmule

They have been sending new drivers fresh out of school with me on Fridays to get a taste of the pace that will be expected of them when they are on their own. For most of them it is an eye-opening day.
I wish they would do that here especially when they are going to be covering my route when I'm off. I could show them so much more than any sup ever could.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I love when I am sent to help out and the driver tries to decide what work to give me. I go through his load and choose the section that I want to deliver.[/quote. I grab their diad and decide, helping someone after you busted your a__ all day I'm the boss, your the rookie.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
When someone helps me I try to give them easy stuff. That's the right thing to do.
That's the way I've been doing it for years. Treat your help with respect and they won't mind helping out again. UPS management should subscribe to that philosophy also.

...Then thrown into the mix running garbage in all weather conditions in a beat up early 70's 600.
The ones with the wooden bulkhead doors? I used to get a splinter or two every day I drove one of those.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Our new guys will come in a half hour to an hour early, get a print out of their delivery areas and then use their phones and maps to make sure they know where all of the streets are. Yes, this is working off the clock, but to me it shows initiative and a willingness to learn.

So, it's cool for new guys to work off the clock cuz it shows initiative and whatnot?

What about veterans? What does it show when veterans work off the clock?
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1416715268.584827.jpg

Sent using a Potato

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
Of course...this is the same company that sends loaders home and pays drivers to stack out their trucks making 3x the hourly rate of a new loader. But oh....they're saving money!
Never got that either. So its not showing on preload, it still cost more wherever you place those numbers.

snl blue

Like cutting a route and saying they saved money because they didn't pay insurance on the truck that day or the drivers insurance either only to have the driver back on the road the next day. Not to mention the overtime they paid out for the day they cut the route out. Its all about looking good on paper

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Harry, it's called working smarter, not harder. I can't speak for you (I don't know that many small words) but for me I would much rather not have to sheet and then deal with closed bulk stops throughout the day. I have the basic list on Word Pad and then update it as needed.

Here is the one that I submitted for Black Friday:

Black Friday Closings 25A
2 Healey Ave (can indirect air to Meyer's Drugs)
Plattco
32 Green St
43 Rugar St*
*(They will close at noon on 11/26 and reopen on 12/1)

Peak Opening Times
Walmart 8am
SUNY 8 am
MBE 8:30 am

Monday Next Day Air Indirects
Empire Vision NDA goes to Walmart Vision
2 Healey NDA goes to Meyer's Drugs

How long did it take me to update, save and print this list? Less than 5 minutes.

You guys can do whatever you want but I prefer to work smarter, not harder.