How to give raises

How should raises be given?

• Percentage

• Set dollar amount (everyone gets $X.XX)

• Other...

Results are only viewable after voting.

!Retired!

In lieu of the other thread, I thought this might be a good idea. This isn't a debate thread, it's just a poll. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Opinion, by the way, is defined as 'a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.'

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I think they need to freeze topped out people until the majority of us catch up. That would also be a good way for X to get the topped out people to leave voluntarily.

Oldfart

I think they need to freeze topped out people until the majority of us catch up. That would also be a good way for X to get the topped out people to leave voluntarily.
So a person that is 45 years old and topped out should NOT get a raise until a newhire makes it to the top pay? That would make him work 8 to 10 yrs without a raise. He would be 53 to 55 before he got a raise.

Why not freeze the newhire salary for 10 years. That way you could get newhires to work a yr or so and then quit voluntarily.

BootsOnTarmac

If FedEx Express wanted to they could freeze step 10 and give raises 1-9. At the very least they should raise all the steps based upon the cost of living increases. If they freeze step 10 there would be a whole lot of backlash that could create apathy among toped out employees. Since topped out employees have 4+ weeks of vacation with individual vacation days able to be used like sick days (hub / station dependent), you may loose personnel during critical times. Topped out employees are needed and essential for when the :censored2: hits the fan, since they have seen the worst and know how to get it done.

Oldfart

If FedEx Express wanted to they could freeze step 10 and give raises 1-9. At the very least they should raise all the steps based upon the cost of living increases. If they freeze step 10 there would be a whole lot of backlash that could create apathy among toped out employees. Since topped out employees have 4+ weeks of vacation with individual vacation days able to be used like sick days (hub / station dependent), you may loose personnel during critical times. Topped out employees are needed and essential for when the :censored2: hits the fan, since they have seen the worst and know how to get it done.
I am not even thinking about experience or other benefits being considered. I just believe if you are giving 9 groups of people a raise and leave out 1 group, the most senior, you are setting a bad precedent. I could be wrong but I don't believe the company has ever given just certain people in the same classification a raise and left out the others. There have been years when I didn't get a raise, but I don't think other couriers did either.

vantexan

I'm betting FedEx will see your annual raise as adequate and won't be adjusting every step every year to address inflation. And once topped out you're topped out. Expect them to make overall adjustments only when they've taken it as far as they can and must increase pay overall to stay competitive for workers. And I suspect they'll do it by lopping off the lowest step or two and adding more steps on the other end. So people near the bottom will see newhires catch them while people who thought they were topped out will be looking at a couple more years. FedEx doesn't give anything easy so if you're expecting 2% or 3% adjustments to all steps annually you'll probably be disappointed. After all the years that they gave 2% raises to midrange employees I'm surprised that anyone thinks they'll give around 5% annual raises PLUS an annual adjustment for inflation. It's just not their nature.

Maui

I think each step represents a nice increase. Typically over 5%. In my perfect world it would be listed as 6 month, 1 year, etc so that top out happens in 5 years. Mid-range people were screwed over so it would be an even harder pill to swallow if newbies reached top that quickly.

I think for now the steps should remain the same, with the exception of step 10. That would just be a bigger jump from 9 to 10. The other steps need to go up, but maybe in a year or 2. JMO

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
So once you get caught up it'll be okay to go ahead and start giving raises to topped out employees again, I'm guessin'... ;):D

Oldfart

So once you get caught up it'll be okay to go ahead and start giving raises to topped out employees again, I'm guessin'... ;):D
I believe if some had their way. Topped out people would never get a raise again and lower paid people would get raises until they made more than previously topped out people. That would show that 40 year employee that we don't want his kind around anymore,

vantexan

I believe if some had their way. Topped out people would never get a raise again and lower paid people would get raises until they made more than previously topped out people. That would show that 40 year employee that we don't want his kind around anymore,
How would anyone get more than top out?

vantexan

We are all just guessing until FedEx Express releases the FY17 step chart as well as what the "percent of range" employees get.
I believe it's FY18 now, may be wrong. Fiscal year starts June 1st. The mgr who gave McFeely the step chart most likely gave him the latest chart.

bacha29

One thing's for certain. Until there's a cease fire between the Virgins and the Ancient Artifacts and find some harmony X will find a way to drive in a wedge between the two and use it to it's advantage. Getting rid of the Ancient Artifacts will do nothing to improve wage and benefit conditions for the virgins. Putting in their time and doing a satisfactory job and doing it by the book in a manner similar to the way the Ancient Artifacts did it is their only foreseeable way of improving their lot short of going to the mat in the pursuit of collective bargaining . What the Virgins fail to realize is that when the Ancient Artifacts started X was a much smaller upstart company and they deserve to be rewarded for their contribution to that growth. The Ancient Artifacts have earned the right to step away at the time place and manner that best serves their interests not simply be disposed of as some Virgins would like to see happen.

vantexan

One thing's for certain. Until there's a cease fire between the Virgins and the Ancient Artifacts and find some harmony X will find a way to drive in a wedge between the two and use it to it's advantage. Getting rid of the Ancient Artifacts will do nothing to improve wage and benefit conditions for the virgins. Putting in their time and doing a satisfactory job and doing it by the book in a manner similar to the way the Ancient Artifacts did it is their only foreseeable way of improving their lot short of going to the mat in the pursuit of collective bargaining . What the Virgins fail to realize is that when the Ancient Artifacts started X was a much smaller upstart company and they deserve to be rewarded for their contribution to that growth. The Ancient Artifacts have earned the right to step away at the time place and manner that best serves their interests not simply be disposed of as some Virgins would like to see happen.
Since they're finally getting newhires to top out in a defined period of time most couriers at some point will be topped out or very close to it. There won't be a need to play them off against each other since they'll all be in the same boat. Some just longer at it than others. I just hope all those midrange employees who quit after 12 to 15 years found something worthwhile. I quit after 11 yrs and paid for it ever since. At least if they come back they can expect pay in the mid-twenties in a reasonable amount of time.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I thought '17 raises were already set except for those that hit step 10 last year.

Since they're finally getting newhires to top out in a defined period of time most couriers at some point will be topped out or very close to it. There won't be a need to play them off against each other since they'll all be in the same boat. Some just longer at it than others. I just hope all those midrange employees who quit after 12 to 15 years found something worthwhile. I quit after 11 yrs and paid for it ever since. At least if they come back they can expect pay in the mid-twenties in a reasonable amount of time.

You guys keep forgetting that it's the 10-step raises that have been set. NOT a time period. It could all end tomorrow. I will not count my chickens before they're hatched, or expect a raise until I see it on my check. FedEx giveth....FedEx taketh away.

Oldfart

You guys keep forgetting that it's the 10-step raises that have been set. NOT a time period. It could all end tomorrow. I will not count my chickens before they're hatched, or expect a raise until I see it on my check. FedEx giveth....FedEx taketh away.
Paranoia will destroy ya. I bet you lay in bed at night worrying about your job, your fellow employees and people that no longer work here. Being miserable and mad all the time will make you age quicker.

I bet you a fine dinner at the winners favorite restaurant via a gift card that raises are given in Oct, as they have for the last few years. Put your money where your mouth is.