Hub Running a Sort on Memorial Day

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
How far are you losers in debt that you even think about working when you don't have to?
Not everyone wants to work into their 60s and depend on a pension check they have no control over.

Anyways, if it's all about maximizing time off, you should be working the holiday at double time then taking two days off.

Bob11B

How far are you losers in debt that you even think about working when you don't have to?
To each their own, that’s your decision...don’t call someone else a loser when it is their choice. Some of us are newer drivers and climbing out of debt after preloading for a few years or just want to make a few extra bucks...it isn’t hurting you so kind your own damn business.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I retired at 53--without work any extra days.
Must be nice, congrats.

Poorly managed pension funds soon to be bled dry by an avalanche of baby boomer retirements at the same time that automation drastically cuts new contributions to the Ponzi scheme....

I'll take my double time.

ManInBrown

Not everyone wants to work into their 60s and depend on a pension check they have no control over.

Anyways, if it's all about maximizing time off, you should be working the holiday at double time then taking two days off.
There’s this cool thing called a 401K. I’m not depending on a pension. If it’s there great, if it’s not, it’s not. That’s why I put 17% in that kewl 401K and work zero holidays.

Indecisi0n

Go for it---to each his own. I can honestly say I NEVER worked one day I didn't have to--and we lived good--including a college education for my daughter.
I couldn't agree more . Guys at work laugh at me that I don't take the money but the way I see it I can always make money but I'll never get that time back with the family . Keep your money .

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
There’s this cool thing called a 401K. I’m not depending on a pension. If it’s there great, if it’s not, it’s not. That’s why I put 17% in that kewl 401K and work zero holidays.
Hopefully you're going Roth, the takers will come for the middle class when the well starts to run dry.

rod

Retired 22 years
The average top rate driver has a ridiculous mortgage on a big house he only sleeps in.
2 New vehicles and a boat or 4 Wheeler or Side by Side.
Debt up to their necks.
And there in lies the problem. Every young married couple I know has to have a 3 or 4 hundred thousand dollar home, 2 new cars and all kinds of toys.

El Correcto

god is dead
$20,000 in the hole and making minimum wage? You're in trouble already.
No, I’m making above 30/hr.

I just make sure my debt and payments are manageable with even a minimum wage job I can hop into quickly if something goes wrong so I don’t drain my bank account while looking for another career path.

El Correcto

god is dead
I’m also only underwater on one of my vehicles by a grand, my truck is paid down to where I could sell it and pocket a couple grand to downsize with and save my bank account.

Have an escape route, take the path of least resistance.

El Correcto

god is dead
Manageable for a 12-15 year payoff lol
5 year I could refinance for lower payments if needed but it’s kind of pointless considering I would more than likely just sell the truck if I lost my job and buy a station wagon to crash on while shower at a gym and using a laundry mat.

Only reason I don’t do that now is I have a dog and wouldn’t want to leave him in a car all day. Living in an apartment and owning a home is too bourgeois for me I hate the stability.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I retired at pretty much the same age.
Never worked an extra day.
Poor Financial decisions and debt are for suckers
I'm not really sure what you mean by an "extra day". My household could easily live off of my wife's salary. So I guess every day I work is "extra".

Two days off every week works out great for me at this point in my life. When I get sick of it I'll stop.

Go for it---to each his own. I can honestly say I NEVER worked one day I didn't have to--and we lived good--including a college education for my daughter.
Ahhhhhh, the old guard. Get with the times Gramps. Your daughter's community college tuition was probably about $100 a year when you paid for it back in the late 70s. Times have changed and the income-to-tuition ratio hasn't remained the same.

Last edited:

turq

Working holidays are the easiest days you will ever work at UPS, at the most money. My wife and I realized a long time ago that you are not going to have a regular "real" 9-5 life working at UPS anyway. No after school games, no family dinner..... none of that stuff. My kids are older now, whatever I can do to shorten the time frame and get me the hell out of there, is ok by me. I'm the first to put my name on any easy money holiday list.