Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i was wondering as a pt we get told to hydrate and watch out for signs of dehydration, but what happens if i decide
to tell sup that im dehydrated and need a break? im not a doctor and neither is my sup so how would i determine if
im hydrated enough to continue working? maybe ill try it tomorrow and see how pissed sup gets.

Dehydration is nothing to joke about.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It's been so hot and humid here you sweat it out as fast as you put it in.
Oh the humidity is brutal....it was 78 with 90% humidity at 2am.walking into the sauna like building. All they had was warm bottled water for the idiots who don't bring their own drinks....thanks ups.

We had a trainee throw up and faint today in one of the trucks he was loading. That happens at least once a summer...by the time the EMT's took care of the kid and the porter cleaned up the PC...both that driver and I didn't get out till 10. I will go hydrate with my buddy Sam Adams ;)

oldngray

nowhere special
Oh the humidity is brutal....it was 78 with 90% humidity at 2am.walking into the sauna like building. All they had was warm bottled water for the idiots who don't bring their own drinks....thanks ups.

We had a trainee throw up and faint today in one of the trucks he was loading. That happens at least once a summer...by the time the EMT's took care of the kid and the porter cleaned up the PC...both that driver and I didn't get out till 10. I will go hydrate with my buddy Sam Adams ;)

I always thought it felt worse in the morning when it wasn't as hot but so much more humid. Sweat just sticks to you and won't evaporate to cool you. Later in day its hotter but as long as you stay hydrated you feel better. You do have to start drinking water before you feel thirsty though. Its awful to have a longer day than you expected and you run out of water to drink ( I usually had at least a gallon on hot days) and get sweated out. That is when the heat gets dangerous.

Nimnim

The Nim
High humidity keeps your sweat from evaporating and cooling your body properly. Get a rag with cool/cold water to wipe yourself down with.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am grateful that my management team cares enough about my well being during a heat emergency that they will eliminate a route in my loop, frantically shovel 2 extra hours of work into a random pile on the floor in the back of my car during the last 5 minutes of the preload shift in order to get "wrapped", scream at me about my previous day's overallowed, and then hand me a little slip of paper with an acronym on it reminding me to drink water.

oldngray

nowhere special
I am grateful that my management team cares enough about my well being during a heat emergency that they will eliminate a route in my loop, frantically shovel 2 extra hours of work into a random pile on the floor in the back of my car during the last 5 minutes of the preload shift in order to get "wrapped", scream at me about my previous day's overallowed, and then hand me a little slip of paper with an acronym on it reminding me to drink water.

Don't forget the DIAD messages during the day reminding you its hot and to drink water (sent by OMS in an air conditioned office).

Nimnim

The Nim

Don't forget the DIAD messages during the day reminding you its hot and to drink water (sent by OMS in an air conditioned office).

I'm glad they don't hassle the pters on my shift if they spend a minute standing in front of a fan to cool down. Then again all the sups and management on my shift are sweating like pigs like the rest of us when they're not in their offices with AC. Hard to yell at us for cooling down when they have to sweat to get to us.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I always thought it felt worse in the morning when it wasn't as hot but so much more humid. Sweat just sticks to you and won't evaporate to cool you. Later in day its hotter but as long as you stay hydrated you feel better. You do have to start drinking water before you feel thirsty though. Its awful to have a longer day than you expected and you run out of water to drink ( I usually had at least a gallon on hot days) and get sweated out. That is when the heat gets dangerous.
I learned a long time ago never to rely on ups to supply me with anything..I had 2 bottles of gatorade
and a 1/2 gallon of ice water. I was sweating just walking through the building to my trucks...was dripping and sweat soaked 20 min in. They can take their warm bottled water and cram it....lol

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
I drank 6 quarts of water yesterday and I'm on track to do the same today. I've started to add a little bit of sea salt to each quart to replace the salt and minerals lost while sweating. I add just enough so I can taste the minerals but not the salt.
1404408612363.jpg

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I learned a long time ago never to rely on ups to supply me with anything..I had 2 bottles of gatorade
and a 1/2 gallon of ice water. I was sweating just walking through the building to my trucks...was dripping and sweat soaked 20 min in. They can take their warm bottled water and cram it....lol
If you're loading package cars you'll see a roll of plastic driver release bags in the back. You most likely have some type of ice machine in the break room (we have 2). You can make a makeshift cooler out of a driver release bag and the ice then throw those warm bottles of water in there.

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
If you're loading package cars you'll see a roll of plastic driver release bags in the back. You most likely have some type of ice machine in the break room (we have 2). You can make a makeshift cooler out of a driver release bag and the ice then throw those warm bottles of water in there.

Sent using BrownCafe App

DR bags also hold urine. Just in case. :wink2: