I A M penison out of money

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
$1 26 to $1.69 at Aldi's for a gallon. Milk at a big chian grocery store is one of their biggest rip offs.
This is why dairy farmers all over the country are hanging it up and losing their farms every year. Milk has been $1-$2 a gallon for 30 years or so.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
My father and my father in law both have pensions and social security. Of course both companies they worked for are just shells of their former selves. Unfortunately I find that I can't fully plan for the future. Will I have a pension? Will my 401k be worth anything when the asset bubble pops? Will hyper inflation hit us? Inflation has been pretty bad just in my lifetime.

When I was 19 I had a fast food job that paid $11 an hour, gave me sick days, vacation, and health insurance. I was buying food for my family with my pay. A pound of quality ground beef was 99 cents, a gallon of milk was 99 cents, a dozen quality donuts was 99 cents, and a pound of coffee beans was 99 cents. I remember this. And I'm only forty years old now.

Today all that :censored2: is five dollars or more except the milk which is only three fifty. That's A LOT of inflation. That somehow everyone pretends not real.

I bought my first car that year brand new for $5000. It was an economy car. How much is that car now? A garbage Hyundai accent?

Meanwhile that same fast food job pays exactly the same per hour, only now with zero benefits.

This is the capitalist economy. Where everything only gets worse but it will trickle down when our capalist overlords decide to take a piss on our faces.

Now we have a HUGE asset bubble. It isn't just housing but the stock market as well. Trumps plan? Keep that bubble growing. It can't grow forever as the growth is all based on debt.

When the asset bubble pops what will a 401k be worth? When will this happen? I don't know.

But you know I've got a whole bunch of kids I love and who love me. Who my wife home schools and who we teach good values too.

I have my 401k and my pension and Lord be willing I'll be able to hand my kids a great boon to start their families. Lord not be willing I have my kids who I love and who love me.

Precious metals and foreign currency funds are good ways to hedge against the kind of catastrophe you are talking about. Owning real estate, rather than just investing in it is good too. I always recommend that people invest in themselves as much, or more, than socking away for retirement.

What options do you have if you lost your UPS job right now? Do you have a bunch of money invested in untouchable accounts? Do you have an idea in place to be able to start generating income? Or will you go around, hat in hand, and beg for work from anyone who will give it to you? Remember, you have a family to feed.

I've been working with my kids to help them learn how to support themselves without having to enter into an employee/employer relationship. You can't depend on anyone else to look out for your interests.

rod

Retired 22 years
Milk usage as a whole has been going down yearly. I can understand why-- I don't recall my grandkids ever being served milk at a meal (except on cereal once in awhile). Now days all the little bastards will drink is some kind of expensive"juice". :-)

PT Car Washer

Milk usage as a whole has been going down yearly. I can understand why-- I don't recall my grandkids ever being served milk at a meal (except on cereal once in awhile). Now days all the little bastards will drink is some kind of expensive"juice". :-)
Which is nothing more then flavored sugar water.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They claim 2 reasons.

Americans are drinking less cows milk and Walmart dropped them after building their own dairy plant last year.
Wow. Yeah I had just read an article from a year ago about wal mart building their own dairy.

People def drunk less milk. More soy and almond milk.

No need for a human to drink milk after infancy.
I disagree
p_64129_medium.jpg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Right now, laws do not favor an individual 401k that would allow for $50k/yr contribution and that is a problem. Many of us already max out our 401k contribution, a company contribution, up to $50-75k/yr has to be allowed. What I envision is either a 1-1 match or for every $1 I put in, the company puts in $2.

If there were that kind of retirement, I would be maxed out and gone in 25 years.

I agree, if the pension ever ended, the company should pay as much into a retirement account for us individually as they were into the pension. Or pay us directly and let us do with the money as we see fit.

rod

Retired 22 years
I agree, if the pension ever ended, the company should pay as much into a retirement account for us individually as they were into the pension. Or pay us directly and let us do with the money as we see fit.
There in lies the problem. If the company wanted to shut down the pension tomorrow nothing could stop them. Its not like getting a pension is covered by the Constitution. The company "should" do a lot of things but.......................

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
There in lies the problem. If the company wanted to shut down the pension tomorrow nothing could stop them. Its not like getting a pension is covered by the Constitution. The company "should" do a lot of things but.......................

I'm pretty sure both the law and the contract would stop the company from shutting down the pensions. How well the funds are managed is a different story. I'm just saying that if (huge if) the union were ever to bargain away from the pension plan, for whatever reason, they should only do so if the company pays us the same amount for our individual retirement accounts as they were for the pension.