I blew my road test... badly.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not cut out for a desk job, it just wasn't working for me. Amazing how many people think they know what is best for me more than I do.

You had no clue what the job involved before starting your first semester?

You will be bored to death doing this job.

You will feel like an intellectual zero.

People with far less education will feel themselves superior to you and will treat you like a delivery boy.

DO NOT QUIT YOUR DAY JOB!!!!

MrFeeder

How do you make $150k just by going it feeders?

I'm in feeders and know of few who reach that amount. They are on 5 day 600 mile mileage runs or very high mileage sleeper runs. I've yet to meet any an 20 something year olds doing either of those runs.
Different area, different locals, supplements etc. my friend in Feeders made 165k last year and hes in late 20s as well. I'll be one of the people in late 20s you'll know and remember by next year.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Different area, different locals, supplements etc. my friend in Feeders made 165k last year and hes in late 20s as well. I'll be one of the people in late 20s you'll know and remember by next year.

Let's assume an hourly wage of $40/hr to make the math easier.

$40*40 = $1600

$60*20 = $1200

Weekly gross = $2,800

$2,800*52= $145,600

The $40/hr is high yet you are claiming that your "friend" made $165K?

BS!

Johney

$165k a year even in feeders(if it really is possible)would be a crap load of hours. No thanks.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Also, it's not like I can go get a programming job tomorrow. It's very competitive, especially in my area. Usually they only hire people right out of college with amazing gpas that come out of the best schools. I don't have any of that going for me. I would have to do a lot of extra work to build a portfolio before I'm actually employable. The startup I worked at was the only place that would hire me and it was 25k a year. No benefits.

I'm going to be working part time and getting better benefits that I've ever had and still have time to work on my own software rather than someone else's. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me

Oh, that startup was treating you poorly... all that skool stuff to only get you that much sucks

yeah, like everything else, u must prove that you can do it I guess. But still build that work history to open better doors while you're playing with cardboard at the warehouse

Good luck!

Heck, maybe UPS software division to help iron out OrioN dispatches to be more user friendly ?!?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I hate this mentality. Our company is doing well, internet sales are growing which is a big part of our business, and in many hubs it has become difficult hanging on to good people. I don't see why this next contract can't be a boon for alll of us, anything less will hurt the company in the long run.

I have zero belief in current employees not selling out new people to get more of the pie for themselves. I've been through it at a good UAW job and its started here with the 4 year progression and longer wait time for benefits.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have zero belief in current employees not selling out new people to get more of the pie for themselves. I've been through it at a good UAW job and its started here with the 4 year progression and longer wait time for benefits.

Were you with the UAW when GM introduced the two tiered wage?

BrownTruckWannabe

You will be bored to death doing this job.

You will feel like an intellectual zero.

People with far less education will feel themselves superior to you and will treat you like a delivery boy.

DO NOT QUIT YOUR DAY JOB!!!!

No day job to quit. I'll see for myself if I like it or not. Nothing to lose atm.

BrownTruckWannabe

Honestly, no not entirely. Wasn't expecting to spend 10 hours at the office plus 1-2 hours studying a day. No time for my own projects unless I want to give up on any life outside of programming.

Freelance programming is starting to become very rewarding as well so I can take side jobs as well as work on my own projects

MrFeeder

$165k a year even in feeders(if it really is possible)would be a crap load of hours. No thanks.
Definitely is possible with a c of sleeper runs,
Let's assume an hourly wage of $40/hr to make the math easier.

$40*40 = $1600

$60*20 = $1200

Weekly gross = $2,800

$2,800*52= $145,600

The $40/hr is high yet you are claiming that your "friend" made $165K?

BS!
$37*40= 1480
$56*20= 1120
$56*10= 560 (shifting in yard only after 60 hour rule) not allowed on highways. Like I said, different locals, different area and supplements. In our area we are allowed to shift in yard only extra 10 hours after max hours.

Weekly gross = 3160
3160*52 = 164,320

I haven't calculated the mixture of those hours with sleeper runs pay. And believe me, those sleeper run checks are heavy.

Indecisi0n

Definitely is possible with a c of sleeper runs,

$37*40= 1480
$56*20= 1120
$56*10= 560 (shifting in yard only after 60 hour rule) not allowed on highways. Like I said, different locals, different area and supplements. In our area we are allowed to shift in yard only extra 10 hours after max hours.

Weekly gross = 3160
3160*52 = 164,320

I haven't calculated the mixture of those hours with sleeper runs pay. And believe me, those sleeper run checks are heavy.
I won't ever work that much here because I don't want/need to.

MrFeeder

That is more than twice what I have ever made working at UPS.
Maybe if you went Feeders
I won't ever work that much here because I don't want/need to.
It's all whatever you desire in life. I came from my dad hustling on a tricycle gig dropping and picking up passengers all day in a third world country until he saved enough to bring us here in thr states. Now that I have this opportunity, it's my duty to give my best in this job and take every opportunity I get so I can provide for my parents because it is now my turn to provide. Like I said, it's all in your work ethics and attitude on how far you'll get in life.

MrFeeder

There is more to life than money.
That's true but that's why we're fortunate enough to have vacations, sick days, option days and weeks, etc,.It's how you manage your time off and such. But when it's time to work, it's time to work. No one is putting a gun in your head and saying "You better stay with this job or I'll kill you". Before even entering this job, we all already knew what kind of hours we'll be working. So if there's more life than money, then quit.